Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Mar 21, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
LIZH
Imagineer

We always had coal my Dad my was miner, they had an allowance and our central heating was coal and always piping hot.
LIZH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

We used to gather sea coal on Redcar beach, it was wrapped in newspaper twists
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

We also had one,as I grew up in a pit village just outside Mansfield Notts,as my dad was a miner.
Our house never had a built in coal house,but my friend 3 doors down had one as her house was a different design.
Even as kids we knew how to light the fire and clear it out and clean it,strange when you look back at what we used to do as kids that you just wouldn’t dream of letting kids do today.
You couldn’t beat uncut bread,made into toast with a toasting fork on the fire.Totally different taste.
Tracy x
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
My grandparents house had similar, also in the outside loo were squares of old newspaper or if you were very lucky Izal toilet paper and the biggest spiders!
Sounds so familiar I used to hate the outside loo it was so cold in the winter
Old 7 Mar 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
This is a photo I’ve found online it’s not the house I lived in but it’s exactly the same.
The first door is the outside loo and the second door is what would’ve been used as the coal house
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
You knew it had failed when the newspaper was drawn in and caught fire!

Aw the memories of my childhood. Our coal house was exactly like this, a separate building built onto the back of the house.
Mum or dad could light that fire in what seems minutes while we sat eagerly waiting for heat.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
We had one like that but it was a double version. I remember the coal man filling it up. Then we switched to oil and had a huge green tank on cinder blocks.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My grandad was a miner and they had coal heating until my grandma moved out in the 90s.
I can remember her lighting the fire with the newspaper and also the outside loo with the Izal paper!

I don’t remember the coal bunker but there must have been one.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post

Who had one of these, round the back?
Yes, it was a handy step up to the garage roof to play up there 😀
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Funny story many moons ago when we live many miles away in our old house we started with a coal bunker next to our back door the coal an world come and dump the coal in it and go so when it was freeze cold you still had to go outside to get the coal years later they knocked the inside walls down to make a bigger kitchen and put the coal bunker outside our living room windows which made it further to go 😆
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

We had a large concrete coal bunker outside, but we also had the outside loo and shed and coal house attached to the actual house. My dad used the coal house as an extra shed as we had the bunker outside too. We only ever used the loo in emergencies as we had an inside one too.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List