Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Mar 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Driving a Full size SUV - tips

Looking for something positive and light hearted tonight. So here's my question.

Any tips on driving the Full Size SUVs?

We have one booked for Oct. Driven thousands of miles in Florida in years past so reasonably ok with the roads but curious to hear of any tips for driving these beasts or things you wish you'd known before driving them.

I'm talking about Chevy Suburban, Yukons and Expeditions or similar. They look huge!
Wolf1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Just enjoy it. I love the big SUV's and thankfully most parking spaces are built to handle them so that's one positive.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

We were upgraded to an Expedition a few years ago and it seemed huge but once you are on the road it is great - albeit the fuel economy was not that good.

As the good Doctor said, most parking spaces are big enough so you don't have to worry.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Best thing ever and for me the only way to go...

We had a Chevy Suburban (2 of us) for the west coast trip. Driving this beast cross the USA and in LA/San Fran traffic was simply amazing...

Definitely recommend it...

Oh we did 1800 miles and I think it cost us around 250 usd in gas for one of these. Crazy...

Only tip I have is enjoy it... and another good one is use the different rows of seats for different things.

We had all the luggage in the boot, the back row was for presents / gifts / mercy which we were picking up, the middle row for things we maybe needed to get our hands on quickly then us 2 in the front.

Appreciate this may be different if more than 2 of you...

Edited at 09:19 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Loved the Chevy Yukon. Just go for it!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

If it has lane assist use it it’s great till you get used to the actual size
As others have said parking is easy
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Only thing that we have had to be aware of was the height but that was for older car parks in cities like LA.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Lincoln Navigator is my 1st choice every time.

I like the fact the kids have a row each to save on arguments😂

Can’t offer any tips as I’m used to pickups and range rovers here but unlike here as others have said the us is built for them, parking is easy as the bays are designed for a proper sized car!
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 21, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

I love driving the big full size SUVs and the last two or three trips I’ve chosen one even when there’s just been the two of us. I must be trying to compensate for something or other
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Just remember on the cloverleafs, they have a higher center of gravity than normal

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List