Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Apr 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
Thank you. I am wondering if it might be worth considering getting an Uber to Cabana Bay and then picking up the car from a different location nearer universal. This might be a better option for us.
That works good. That is why we do it.

If you look at the Boston etc 2019 trip report in my signature, you will see how to fully exploit the decision as opposed to partly.it saves you plenty of money whilst compromising not at all on the Orlando experience.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:58 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Use Budget, admittedly only one day hires from/to the airport, always had decent motors.
Old 10 Apr 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

I have rented many times with budget weather in orlando, sanford or Miami. They along with avis who are the same company are my favourite easily.

With budget you will need to go to the desk and Que which depending on flights and qty of people renting can vary. ( Although they have recently started a pre book in option). The cars are pre allocated. I have in the past asked for them to change if i do not like a particular car, for me that's anything with a CVT gearbox. I'm polite and have found them accommodating and polite back.

I've always had a decent car as in clean, tidy and the toys you need. They usually offer the cheaper brands compared to sister company Avis. Eg budget = dodge/ kia & Avis = Chrysler / Hyundai. both company's are owned by fiat / hyundai motor company and share an immense amount of parts just the branding is different.

Always had what i rented or an upgrade. One time they were low on cars and tried to give me a smaller car but told them no and 5 minutes later got what i wanted. They were fine about it the guy in front ordered a compact and was given a convertible, They were basically just handing out what was immediately available to next in the Que. I have always found the staff friendly and approachable.

Never had a hard sale or some one try it on, but i always pre-pay at the desk for fuel which i sometimes think placates the need to further upsell.

Also i find the people who have the most problems are the ones who turn up to the desk as a whole family with suitcases in tow and no organisation. I would say just one person needs to attend the desk and have all your id / payment card ready. I know it sounds bad but i feel they can spot the weak prey. IE the ones who have had to deal with kids on a confined space for ten hours waited hours in the immigration que and just want it to be over, they look very harassed with all the things they need all over the place. Then have to ask the person next to them to hand them stuff. keep looking over there shoulders at others or even worse have to keep looking at the person next to them for the sort of nod of permission. (note i have not specified male or female any where this can be any one) we have all seen those families at the desks. I think they like efficiency and can see when people are distracted and pounce on that weakness.

Also remember your spouse is also insured free with budget and does not need to attend the desk to sign.

I highly recommend i am a huge fan and have made the majority of rentals with them.

but saying that i have rented with others including alamo and dollar, Alamo were fine and for some reason at the time ridiculously cheap which was only reason. Dollar never again the one rental i did do was again because of price. I had damaged car which had to return after two days and charged for bringing back empty at end of rental when i had pre-paid for fuel on the previous car a nightmare.

my advise would be the same as any hire company.

1, have a basic understanding of the fleet so you know what you are allocated is correct.

2, Have a read of the toll policy they do vary and always best to know. It had changed lateley but i have enclosed below for florida.

3, depending on who you book with make sure you know where you stand with insurance. If declining be polite remember it is there job to up sell you.

4, the most important. take your time and check what you are signing before you do. im not advocating a full read but you should atleast check the charges and future charges section (this one goes for all companies no specifically budget).

e-Toll fees (Standard): If you use the e-Toll service at any time during your rental, you agree to pay a convenience fee of $5.95 for each day on which you incur a toll up to a maximum amount of $29.75 per rental period (not to exceed 30 days). In addition, you will pay all tolls incurred at the maximum prevailing non-discounted or cash rates posted by the toll authority. e-Toll Unlimited: Budget also offers e-Toll Unlimited, which includes the cost of tolls and convenience fees. If you choose e-Toll Unlimited, you agree to pay a flat daily fee of $10.99 -$25.99, depending on checkout location, for each day of the rental period, regardless of whether or not you incur any tolls, up to a maximum of $54.95 - $129.95 per week. e-Toll Unlimited must be selected at the time you reserve or check out your vehicle, otherwise you agree to pay the standard e-Toll fees if you use the e-Toll service. Opting Out of e-Toll: If you do not choose e-Toll Unlimited, you may avoid the standard e-Toll fees on any day during the term of the rental if you ensure the transponder shield box is in the “closed” position and you (i) pay cash for all tolls, (ii) use your own adequately funded, properly mounted and compatible electronic toll device to pay for all tolls, (iii) pay the toll authority directly through any available online or other service according to the toll authority’s rules and requirements; or (iv) avoid electronic toll roads or passages.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
andyhaz
Excited about Disney

I've always gone to straight to the pick up office in the car park itself as so much easier and no queue's
andyhaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 21, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by andyhaz View Post
I've always gone to straight to the pick up office in the car park itself as so much easier and no queue's
Same here Andy, straight to MCO garage office, no queue and out quickly.

I drive to Bokeelia so opt Garage B exiting onto Jeff Fuqua Blvd south to the 417. If heading north to the 528 use Garage A. Whilst A & B both exit onto Jeff Fuqua airport circular road, garage exit choice works for those wanting to avoid driving around half the airport circular road.
Old 11 Apr 21, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Ok that is good to know, I didn't realise I could do that
Old 11 Apr 21, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Same here Andy, straight to MCO garage office, no queue and out quickly.

I drive to Bokeelia so opt Garage B exiting onto Jeff Fuqua Blvd south to the 417. If heading north to the 528 use Garage A. Whilst A & B both exit onto Jeff Fuqua airport circular road, garage exit choice works for those wanting to avoid driving around half the airport circular road.
I have no idea which garage would be the better option for us. We will be driving to Cabana Bay.

Edit to add: Just checked and we would go North on to the 528 so Garage A would be our best bet.

Edited at 02:16 PM.
welshmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
andyhaz
Excited about Disney

Straight across from arrivals just follow the sign , it's less than a 2 min walk
andyhaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mj1980
Trading Disney Pins

I’d be worried that they’d send me back to the main counter, do the staff not mind you doing it that way.
Mj1980 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
Thanks for your replies everyone. I think because we have only ever used Alamo in the past and have been able to choose our own car, we have been lucky.
This is why we (errr I ) like using Alamo. Being able to choose the car for me is like being a kid in a sweet shop
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List