Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 May 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Briar Rose
I want to go now!

Aug 2022 - what would you do?

I've been planning our first WDW trip for Aug 2022 for about 6 months now but we've decided that we won't book until we know everything is back to normal (in terms of parades, fireworks, restaurants all open etc). As its our first trip we really want to get the full experience, particularly since its such a lot of money.

I know no one knows when things will be back to normal but how long would you put off booking for before giving up and booking a different 2022 holiday?

Thanks

Edited at 06:41 PM.
Briar Rose is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Muppetnation_20
Helping Mickey

I'm looking to go in August 2022 as well. We're waiting to see what offers Disney bring out for 2022 before we make a decision. I reckon they'll do that by the end of June and we should have more information by then re shows, fireworks and more restaurants being open.
Muppetnation_20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Briar Rose View Post
I've been planning our first WDW trip for Aug 2022 for about 6 months now but we've decided that we won't book until we know everything is back to normal (in terms of parades, fireworks, restaurants all open etc). As its our first trip we really want to get the full experience, particularly since its such a lot of money.

I know no one knows when things will be back to normal but how long would you put off booking for before giving up and booking a different 2021 holiday?

Thanks
If it were me I’d be waiting for a few weeks to see if WDW release some kind of dining offer. Then I’d be booking direct with Disney for accommodation and parks.

There’s then a bit of breathing space until Sept/Oct to see if any decent flight prices emerge. Again, this is just me but I’d be looking at BA.

Then I’d be building the rest of the holiday from then on. No rushing.

Why Disney and BA? Because they have been really flexible with refunds and rescheduling thus reducing the risk.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
meegraine
Serious Dibber

meegraine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We've had October 2021 booked since September 2020 when our holiday was cancelled. I'm truly waiting to see what comes out of the international travel announcement before making a decision and I think worse case scenario we will just book a last minute deal somewhere else if we can't go to the US!

We know Disney has been testing fireworks and they're continuously changing requirements! Just yesterday did they announce the removal of the temperature checks! I personally prefer the cavalcades to the normal parades so I hope those are here to stay but I know others really loved the parades! More and more restaurants are opening at Disney and I think all of them will probably be open by the end of the year if all goes well

I think if you go into it knowing that things might change then I would say go for it, worst that can happen is you re-book and have something to look forward to or you end up going somewhere else in its place. I don't think we will see a 2019 version of WDW for some time now but that's okay with me, I'm excited to see all these changes Disney have done and try out the new normal! I'm prepared to go and know its not going to be like how it was before because we will still have buckets of fun no matter what

Next Trip: Canary Islands June, 2023
meegraine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What if I started by saying "what if 2022 is no different?" or 2023,2024... We have to try to put faith in people that have either been wrong from the start or outright lying from the start! Lockdown for 3 weeks, Xmas Lockdown until 2nd week in Jan...stateside- no mask,wear a mask, wear 2 masks, only for 100 days(even though it's now 108) unbelievably the only country that appears to be back to normal is the one it all originated in !
Disney will be hoping & planning for 100% capacity & normality, for the Anniversary but even they can't predict the future.
So all that being said you can either go for it or wait & actually one answer is as good as the other IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Nelly7
Excited about Disney

I think that the vast majority of things will be back to normal at Disney by October this year, in time for the start of the 50th anniversary celebrations.
One of the biggest obstacles Disney seem to be facing at the moment is re-hiring staff, which is having big impact on them re-opening restaurants and hotels.
With the re-launch of the college programme and a big recruitment drive, normality should start to resume through the summer.
Nelly7 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Robyn89
Imagineer

It’s really difficult to tell you what you should do as holidays are a very personal thing.

I think there might be a few things that take a while to come back (or never come back at all) like character buffets. I personally think the family style way of feeding they have now, while buffets are a no go, is actually much better.

Lots of people prefer the cavalcades to parades as they feel a bit more spontaneous and happen more frequently.

As others have mentioned, Disney has been testing fireworks and I don’t think they’d be going full steam ahead with Harmonious preparations if they didn’t expect fireworks to come back some point this year.

The positive changes seem to be happening quite quickly now... temperature screening is going to be stopped this month and Universal are reducing distancing requirements from 6ft to 3ft... so I suspect Disney will watch to see how that goes and consider doing similar (they let Universal open a few weeks before they opened back in the summer last year too).

You can have maskless photos if you’re stationary - which was a big thing for me - I can’t wait to have a castle photo with all of our cheesy grins in it!

More and more restaurants are starting to reopen... so I really do think that Disney is anticipating ‘normal’ a fair while before you intend to travel.
Robyn89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Briar Rose View Post
I know no one knows when things will be back to normal but how long would you put off booking for before giving up and booking a different 2021 holiday?

Thanks
Do you mean a different 2022 holiday? Or do you mean if you think you cannot get to WDW in 2022 you would book something in 2021 instead?
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Briar Rose
I want to go now!

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Do you mean a different 2022 holiday? Or do you mean if you think you cannot get to WDW in 2022 you would book something in 2021 instead?
Sorry, silly me! I mean book something different for 2022. Well spotted I've edited it now x
Old 6 May 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Briar Rose
I want to go now!

Thanks so much for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it. I'm now feeling more confident that things will be up and running enough by Aug 2022

We were lucky enough to DLP last Aug when it was obviously a very different experience than it would have been! We've been to DLP enough times that I really didn't mind not getting the 'full' experience, plus there were a lot of amazing things about that trip (nearly every ride a walk on ) But for our first Florida trip I would love to experience it at its best, whatever that will be going forward, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for updates.

Thanks so much x