Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Aug 16, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy2015
Proud to wear my Ears

Buying the dining plan?

Hi,

We're staying on site via renting DVC points for the first time this December - 2 adults. I've always discarded the free DDP offer as for 2 adults it isn't as 'free' as if you have more people in the room but...

I read the other day that buying the DDP is only £39 a day / person? This seems a lot cheaper than the dollar price at the minute and would also 'fix' our costs against any further changes (up or down at least we'd know where we are). Is it really only £39?

We've definitely booked BOG dinner and the Fantasmic dining package at Mama Melrose. We also like the Mexican where you can watch the fireworks over the lake for TS. I've booked a BOG for lunch but not sure if we will keep or cancel that. That's my 'must do' down but we'd probably grab a CS a day at lunch and usually a snack of some sort. DH likes those Starbucks strawberry things and you do need an icecream... We're happy to eat at other Disney TS but I'm reluctant to book too many in advance (first two weeks of December staying in SSR).

With this in mind... do you think it's worth buying the dining plan? Will we find somewhere to eat if we book our meals the day before? I know it won't be BOG etc but as it's just two of us is there somewhere?

Thanks!
Daisy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

If you have rented DVC points then you have to book the DDP through the member who you have rented from and pay in Dollars so you don't avoid the bad rate.

I have never made the DDP pay if we were to buy it.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
twilightxgalaxy
a Friend of the DIBB

The QSDP is £28.99pp per day, the DDP is £41.99pp per day.

I imagine December will be quite busy so not sure on TS availability, but I imagine with only 2 of you that you may be ok Have a look at some of the menus to see the cost paying OOP instead.

Edit: Forgot that you had to pay DDP in $ when renting points.

Edited at 05:05 PM.
twilightxgalaxy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

I have just looked at the cost for the DDP and it's $63.70 per person per night and as you are staying on points you have to pay in $$ . At a $1.3 exchange rate it works out at £49 per person per night!
We have often looked at the DDP as we own DVC and it never works out as a good buy!

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I had thought about buying it for our 3 night DVC stay but decided against it. We revisited it the other day then decided not to bother given the exchange rate. Because you need to pay for it in dollars you'll be no better off.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

We rented points at Grand Floridian and paid for the DDP. I had my reasons (the main one being that I had told DH we had DDP for the entire trip and forgot about the DVC stay so quickly added it, the other main reason being that I like to have all our food/drinks paid for before we go so we can just relax and eat where we want onsite).

With hindsight, it wasn't 'worth' it. We probably nearly covered the costs just about, as I booked Character meals and BOG, but we didn't use all the snacks (17 left over) or the QS meals (9 left over) and we still felt like we ate more than we needed/wanted and refused nearly every dessert included with our meals.

Check the menus for where you would like to eat and work out a rough price to see if you can make it work but my experience is that it isn't good value to pay for DDP.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 16, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
To give you an idea the basic break down of the meals is QS $18 & TS $40 so that's basically what you have to spend to make it work, as far as TS unless you have steak at every meal or buffets you will be cheaper just paying OOP. Some forums recommend putting the equivalent in a separate pot & seeing how much you have left at the end of your stay.
We have considered it a few times but just can't get it to work.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Daisy2015
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks all... I think I might out of pocket sounds like the way forward. DH especially prefers starters to dessert so I guess a lot would get wasted. The DDP for sale in pounds seems like a fairly good deal compared to dollars though!
Daisy2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread