Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Sep 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs chimp
Being a bit Goofy

Avis @ MCO - any good news stories?

Evening all,

we head out in 10 weeks and are getting slightly nervous having read some of the reviews of how you've been treated by Avis...

we've visited orlando 7 or 8 times as a family and have traditionally used Alamo but went with Avis (through BA) as their price for a full size SUV was £600 better than Alamo and still is so took a chance.

starting to think it would have been worth the extra £600, any good experiences with Avis at MCO and does the good outweigh the bad?
Mr & Mrs chimp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DangerMouse74
slightly serious Dibber

DangerMouse74's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I hope they’re better than Miami. Just got an excess charge for giving the car back dirty. The car was old and in a state, but based on traveling for 11 hours plus we just put up with it. Car not cleaned when we picked it up but much cleaner than we dropped off. Not happy. I’ve taken it up with BA.
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
johnmcmaster
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We had joined Avis preferred before we went last May. Went to the garage at MCO and had 5 mins at the counter to swipe cc and licences etc. Off to row to pick up Santa Fe. Good car. No issues. Straight out the road. Would use again. Wife added automatically to drive the car. No extras offered or declined. Took the voucher from BA with no issue.
johnmcmaster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Yordaman
Excited about Disney

You will probably find that, like most suppliers, you will see good and bad stories... and it’s the bad ones, if only in the minority, that stick in the mind. You also find that many ‘good’ stories just aren’t reported, you may not see a true reflection.

Anyhow, that aside, we used Avis last year and signed up for Preferred. Absolutely no issues at all - took just 5 mins to get the car, car was fairly new and worked well, easy drop off and no hidden or late charges afterwards.

I’d use again.
Yordaman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are like you and have only done it once because of a very attractive BS fly-drive price. No problems at all really. No unexpected charges apart from the Sunpass which was what we expected. Trouble is I believe that only people with bad experiences post them on here. When we first booked it around June 2017 there were dozens of posts in favour.

Personally £ for £ I'd still use Alamo if only for the ability to pick the car and better Sunpass

Mick
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by johnmcmaster View Post
We had joined Avis preferred before we went last May. Went to the garage at MCO and had 5 mins at the counter to swipe cc and licences etc. Off to row to pick up Santa Fe. Good car. No issues. Straight out the road. Would use again. Wife added automatically to drive the car. No extras offered or declined. Took the voucher from BA with no issue.
Same experience here - really good, all went smoothly -

ended up quids in - the car we had must have had something wrong with the number plate or something because we drove through every toll intending to just pay the $19.99 fee plus tolls (or whatever it was). No charge at all.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

We used them in feb 5 mins at the counter got upgraded great car would definitely use again.
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've used them several times and it's only this year that we've had a problem with them. To be fair even this year the car we had was lovely and the agent at the garage was nice.

It was only when we returned the car that we had a problem. If it saved me £600 I'd possibly use them again but I'd make sure to read all of the paperwork and return receipt before leaving the garage.

Edited at 08:11 PM.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

I posted a praise thread upon our return. We’ve used avis via ba for several years now and although we’ve had some issues with the cars (stone chip turned into a crack, slow puncture), we cannot fault then for how well they’ve dealt with us and resolved our issues quickly
Old 1 Sep 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Nothing but praise for Avis and BA. I have been using them twice a year for 20+ years and touch wood never had an issue.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List