Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 29 Dec 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Oh no Alicia what a pain your French toast brioche plans went out the window.

Thanks Michelle for sharing the chicken recipe I love using my slow cooker for things other than just casseroles and your chicken and rice Mexican dinner looks fab.

Vanillapod it seems we are a hive mind today...Turkey bones stock is in the slow cooker.

Usually I just keep cupfuls in the freezer ready for stews and casseroles. I've not used it in a pie before.

Also, we are having gammon, egg and chips for dinner tonight, great minds

Most of the day has been spent making the Blackforest trifle. Starting with the custard and then all the other parts, before assembling this afternoon.

Because of the effort involved you get both a side view and top view

I have a feeling the kids, well at least one of them, will turn their noses up at it. Oh well they won't starve as there are still 2 tins of unopened biscuits to eat.

I also decided that we are having buffet bits on New Years Eve, I've checked and we have breaded onion rings in the freezer along with a fair few other beige foods. Perfect for NYE

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Oh no Alicia what a pain your French toast brioche plans went out the window.

Thanks Michelle for sharing the chicken recipe I love using my slow cooker for things other than just casseroles and your chicken and rice Mexican dinner looks fab.

Vanillapod it seems we are a hive mind today...Turkey bones stock is in the slow cooker.

Usually I just keep cupfuls in the freezer ready for stews and casseroles. I've not used it in a pie before.

Also, we are having gammon, egg and chips for dinner tonight, great minds

Most of the day has been spent making the Blackforest trifle. Starting with the custard and then all the other parts, before assembling this afternoon.

Because of the effort involved you get both a side view and top view

I have a feeling the kids, well at least one of them, will turn their noses up at it. Oh well they won't starve as there are still 2 tins of unopened biscuits to eat.

I also decided that we are having buffet bits on New Years Eve, I've checked and we have breaded onion rings in the freezer along with a fair few other beige foods. Perfect for NYE
Love a trifle! OH would love this! I do have some chocolate sponges wrapped in the fridge and some Griottine cherries so maybe I’ll make one.
It is effort though 😂 I don’t know what’s got into me? Even pouring a drink seems a faff! 😬
I had a couple of people request Christmas trifles this year which I declined. They’d end up being incredibly expensive for the time involved!

Edited at 04:59 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

Glad you finally have the onion rings in!

Trifle looks great. I ♥ black forest but dh hates it!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Love a trifle! OH would love this! I do have some chocolate sponges wrapped in the fridge and some Griottine cherries so maybe I’ll make one.
It is effort though 😂 I don’t know what’s got into me? Even pouring a drink seems a faff! 😬
I had a couple of people request Christmas trifles this year which I declined. They’d end up being incredibly expensive for the time involved!
I don't seem to have any problem in finding the energy to pour a drink hmm...

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I've loved catching up on everyone's eats. I've been much too preoccupied with work whilst my OH waxes lyrical about how wonderful the time between Christmas and New Year is because all you have to do is chill

Christmas Eve breakfast was reindeer crumpets

We had leftover soup, sausage roll and some pate I'd finally got round to making for lunch.

It seemed a lot of effort for something that didn't taste any better than shop bought

On the way to work I picked up these cupcakes as a gift for my hard working team.

Not very festive but I had Sweet Chilli Bites for my break

Christmas Quesadillas for a very late dinner. I used brie instead of camembert as the brie was already open. These were a massive hit.

Christmas morning was a bit rushed so we ended up with a bacon sandwich mountain, this is what I always had as a kid.

Christmas Dinner - my mum buys the whole lot at Iceland for a fraction of the price vs. M&S and to be honest, it is pretty damn good. My mum is never EVER going to live down the fact there was 8 people to feed and she had 8 pigs in blankets Much mirth around the TripAdvisor reviews we'll be leaving.

Forgot to snap a picture of dessert but it was a White Forrest Gateux also from Iceland, it wasn't bad at all.

We ate pretty early so I was hungry later on. Cold cuts and some more roasters. I made the roasters from scratch at 10pm. As you do.

Nik's mum sent over an individual trifle as she knows how much I love them

Boxing Day I was on the day shift so no fancy lunch or breakfast I'm afraid. Just KFC's Gravy Burger which is so disgusting that it's good.

We had a Chinese for dinner so no photos.

Fry up for Sunday brunch

Monday's are always a long day for me so I needed something easy for dinner. I ordered a Malaysia Chicken Curry from the butcher along with our Christmas meat. Nik liked it, I thought it was a bit bland.

Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which) Black Forest Mince Pies for pudding with M&S Collection Chocolate Cream. Not a fan of a pies, the rest went in the bin and the cream was more like mousse.

Had a tough few days at work and slept through breakfast today. We had a quick lunch of pork pie and a Brie & Cranberry Quiche, wouldn't have this again.

When is everyone planning on taking their decorations down? I really want to get the house tidied up now but Nik is adamant they should stay up until the New Year. But after tomorrow I won't be off again until well into next week.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Well I decided to have some turkey with the gammon because it’s still soft and dare I say the M word?! 🥴
Gherkins were there to make us feel vaguely healthy. We need some serious fruit and veg intake tomorrow!
OH made the chips in the ninja and they were really good actually.

I realised I have a picture of breakfast yesterday or the day before? Who knows when quite honestly? It’s all a blur!
The mushrooms look a bit dark in this picture. They were fried with garlic butter and thyme and served on toasted brioche 😋

It was a good egg!

And last up is a turkey, bacon, parsnip, date, sausage, lettuce and cranberry sandwich. No moist maker so Ross would not be happy.

I am indeed eating that in a grey tracksuit. 🤣🤣
OH bought it for me for Xmas and I feel like an inmate

I’ve just poured a Koko Kanu and pineapple juice. I need to clear some Christmas drinks in preparation for dry January 😉

Tomorrow needs to be veg heavy

Edited at 10:16 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

Our cake with gingerbread men with their Hogwarts House scarfs!

Christmas Eve lunch of Christmas Ham and Macaroni Cheese

Christmas lunch at my mum's

Boxing day was duck breasts with madeira sauce, red cabbage, dauphinoise potatoes and green beans. Followed by yule log. Mmmm!

Everyone's food looks so yummy and plenty of ideas stored away for next year.
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 20, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I've loved catching up on everyone's eats. I've been much too preoccupied with work whilst my OH waxes lyrical about how wonderful the time between Christmas and New Year is because all you have to do is chill

Christmas Eve breakfast was reindeer crumpets

We had leftover soup, sausage roll and some pate I'd finally got round to making for lunch.

It seemed a lot of effort for something that didn't taste any better than shop bought

On the way to work I picked up these cupcakes as a gift for my hard working team.

Not very festive but I had Sweet Chilli Bites for my break

Christmas Quesadillas for a very late dinner. I used brie instead of camembert as the brie was already open. These were a massive hit.

Christmas morning was a bit rushed so we ended up with a bacon sandwich mountain, this is what I always had as a kid.

Christmas Dinner - my mum buys the whole lot at Iceland for a fraction of the price vs. M&S and to be honest, it is pretty damn good. My mum is never EVER going to live down the fact there was 8 people to feed and she had 8 pigs in blankets Much mirth around the TripAdvisor reviews we'll be leaving.

Forgot to snap a picture of dessert but it was a White Forrest Gateux also from Iceland, it wasn't bad at all.

We ate pretty early so I was hungry later on. Cold cuts and some more roasters. I made the roasters from scratch at 10pm. As you do.

Nik's mum sent over an individual trifle as she knows how much I love them

Boxing Day I was on the day shift so no fancy lunch or breakfast I'm afraid. Just KFC's Gravy Burger which is so disgusting that it's good.

We had a Chinese for dinner so no photos.

Fry up for Sunday brunch

Monday's are always a long day for me so I needed something easy for dinner. I ordered a Malaysia Chicken Curry from the butcher along with our Christmas meat. Nik liked it, I thought it was a bit bland.

Lidl or Aldi (can't remember which) Black Forest Mince Pies for pudding with M&S Collection Chocolate Cream. Not a fan of a pies, the rest went in the bin and the cream was more like mousse.

Had a tough few days at work and slept through breakfast today. We had a quick lunch of pork pie and a Brie & Cranberry Quiche, wouldn't have this again.

When is everyone planning on taking their decorations down? I really want to get the house tidied up now but Nik is adamant they should stay up until the New Year. But after tomorrow I won't be off again until well into next week.
We really loved the Turkey Quesadilla too. Dinner at Iceland looked fab, but the shortage of pigs in blankets was criminal we had 20 for the 4 of us and it still wasn't enough nice of Niks mum to send over a trifle for you. Your fry up looked great. We will have to have a traditional breakfast sometime...

As for decorations, we always take ours down on New year's day. I like them up for any NYE celebrations, but that's it the morning after they start coming down and we are usually done the same day as once you start there's no going back really.

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
Well I decided to have some turkey with the gammon because it’s still soft and dare I say the M word?! 🥴
Gherkins were there to make us feel vaguely healthy. We need some serious fruit and veg intake tomorrow!
OH made the chips in the ninja and they were really good actually.

I realised I have a picture of breakfast yesterday or the day before? Who knows when quite honestly? It’s all a blur!
The mushrooms look a bit dark in this picture. They were fried with garlic butter and thyme and served on toasted brioche 😋

It was a good egg!

And last up is a turkey, bacon, parsnip, date, sausage, lettuce and cranberry sandwich. No moist maker so Ross would not be happy.

I am indeed eating that in a grey tracksuit. 🤣🤣
OH bought it for me for Xmas and I feel like an inmate

I’ve just poured a Koko Kanu and pineapple juice. I need to clear some Christmas drinks in preparation for dry January 😉

Tomorrow needs to be veg heavy
You're right that did look like a good egg. The turkey, bacon etc sandwich looked delicious just fab, no need for Ross to get stressed about the lack of a moist maker, I'm sure the cranberry had that covered. You paint a pretty picture, you in your grey tracksuit with your rum and pineapple juice sounds perfect.

Originally Posted by Leelashpurple View Post
Our cake with gingerbread men with their Hogwarts House scarfs!

Christmas Eve lunch of Christmas Ham and Macaroni Cheese

Christmas lunch at my mum's

Boxing day was duck breasts with madeira sauce, red cabbage, dauphinoise potatoes and green beans. Followed by yule log. Mmmm!

Everyone's food looks so yummy and plenty of ideas stored away for next year.
What a fab Christmas cake and gingerbread mash up. That is so pretty, it looks too good to cut up and eat.

Old 30 Dec 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Ham, egg and chips

Well the distinct lack of chips in the freezer meant we had to substitute for waffle fries.

Still tasty. Plus I can report that the kids felt the trifle was acceptable, I'm not sure if I'm pleased they liked it or a bit dissapointed as this means there's only really enough for 2 more bowlfuls.

I did manage to squeeze in some chilli and wasabi nuts with a drink.

Old 30 Dec 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Goldia- is that the Delia Smith trifle? That’s our family favourite and always one of the puddings We make when we have Xmas dinner with others.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List