Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Jun 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
So what is right for me for hiring a car through virgin/Alamo? Will they have them at the pick up desk?
Sorry but I can't repeat every post on this thread.

Best for you assuming you're into MCO. Get the VTP app on your mobile. Do online check-in with Alamo through Virgin and pick your own car in either garage A or B. Don't go anywhere near the rental desk. Stick the VTP tag on your rear view mirror. Drive out and forget tolls.

Most of the arterial roads around I-4, 27 and 192 are toll free. MCO to the Davenport villa area - by 417 south about $5, north via 528 about $3 each way.

Mick
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I would go with VTP, I've used it before and it's very easy.
Ok, I can get one at the airport, pre loaded? Do I need to download an app? How do I make sure I don't trigger some other scheme?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry but I can't repeat every post on this thread.

Best for you assuming you're into MCO. Get the VTP app on your mobile. Do online check-in with Alamo through Virgin and pick your own car in either garage A or B. Don't go anywhere near the rental desk. Stick the VTP tag on your rear view mirror. Drive out and forget tolls.

Most of the arterial roads around I-4, 27 and 192 are toll free. MCO to the Davenport villa area - by 417 south about $5, north via 528 about $3 each way.

Mick
Thanks. So if I don't get a tag at the rental desk, there are signs somewhere say buy these tags here/vending machine? How much are the tags loaded or you pick x amount?

Sorry for all the questions but if I am to sell the idea of fly drive to the other half I need to know all the costs!
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Ok, I can get one at the airport, pre loaded? Do I need to download an app? How do I make sure I don't trigger some other scheme?
The VTP isn't pre loaded. You reserve one by downloading the app and entering you trip details. You collect the tag from a machine by scanning a QR code in the app. It takes a $10 deposit from your credit card. All tolls are then added to your account which you can view in the app. You are billed at the end of the trip, a couple of days after you return the tag to drop bin at MCO.

I never mentioned the tag to Hertz and had no issues with double billing.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The VTP isn't pre loaded. You reserve one by downloading the app and entering you trip details. You collect the tag from a machine by scanning a QR code in the app. It takes a $10 deposit from your credit card. All tolls are then added to your account which you can view in the app. You are billed at the end of the trip, a couple of days after you return the tag to drop bin at MCO.

I never mentioned the tag to Hertz and had no issues with double billing.
Ah brilliant. So how much would it be ball park figure for 7 days, to a park and back from All Star movies, the airport trips and maybe to international drive and back for a couple of off site dining trips?
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Ah brilliant. So how much would it be ball park figure for 7 days, to a park and back from All Star movies, the airport trips and maybe to international drive and back for a couple of off site dining trips?
I've already answered airport trips - to Davenport anyway and WDW will be similar. From hotel to all WDW parks you shouldn't go anywhere near a toll. Or use the free WDW transport. Hotel to I-Drive via I-4 toll free.

Mick
Old 7 Jun 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

I've already answered airport trips - to Davenport anyway and WDW will be similar. From hotel to all WDW parks you shouldn't go anywhere near a toll. Or use the free WDW transport. Hotel to I-Drive via I-4 toll free.

Mick
Thanks Mick. Shouldn't be particularly expensive then!
Old 7 Jun 21, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Thanks Mick. Shouldn't be particularly expensive then!
In the terms of a fairly expensive holiday I believe that tolls can be considered petty cash. I think that DrJJ may have said earlier that after 4 weeks of intensive touring his toll bill was under $50 - one fillet steak in a WDW restaurant or two fillet steaks in Longhorn. Our VTP bill in Nov 2019 for 4 weeks less than $15. Our typical toll bill for 4 weeks less than $25.

Mick
Old 7 Jun 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

In the terms of a fairly expensive holiday I believe that tolls can be considered petty cash. I think that DrJJ may have said earlier that after 4 weeks of intensive touring his toll bill was under $50 - one fillet steak in a WDW restaurant or two fillet steaks in Longhorn. Our VTP bill in Nov 2019 for 4 weeks less than $15. Our typical toll bill for 4 weeks less than $25.

Mick
Absolutely. I drive toll roads far more than any tourist although NOT on a daily commute. When the balance on my transponder dips below $10, the system automatically charges $20 to my credit card. This happens around twice a month. Individual tolls are never more than $2 and the Sunpass rates are cheaper than cash rates.

Non manned AND non cash tolls are getting more common. I noticed this on the Florida Turnpike/192 exit recently. This used to be a way to avoid the cashless toll on the way to Wild Florida but no longer is.

Edited at 10:11 PM.
DonnaD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Thanks guys. The other half is interested in the fly drive. Now only if his work pull their finger out to pay him wages owed for 5 months...