Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jun 21, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Potterfan5686
slightly serious Dibber

Potterfan5686's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Best flights?

Hey guys,

We are hoping to be booking to go back in October 2023. We have flown with Thomas Cook and virgin but wondered if there were any other flights we should consider. And in your opinion which flights are the best.

Thanks 😊
Potterfan5686 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
TC were good weren't they?

The last 5 flights out of 6 that we've booked were/are with British Airways out of Gatwick or Heathrow. Sadly two most recent ones cancelled but we are fairly confident about November.

Unfortunately they only release their prices 355 days out (from your return date) so you've a while to wait yet.

They are all differently coloured tin tubes that have got us across the Atlantic on about 35 visits so it's £££ that counts for us.

Lots of Dibbers speak highly of Tui but not used them (unless you count Britannia in 1990)

Mick

Edited at 04:11 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
They are all different coloured tin tubes that have got us across the Atlantic about 35 visits so it's £££ that counts for us.
That's the most pertinent point. They all get you there and for the most part are much of a muchness. The best thing is to do a search engine search, as this will then show up all sorts of airlines (especially indirect), which can then be considered as options.

It, as always, will come down to price versus convenience.
Over the course of 15 years of regular travel, we've used Virgin more than anyone else. We are far closer to Manchester than any other option, so the convenience of direct and the fact we for years were able and willing to absorb a couple of hundred quid extra into our budget (if needed, as it was sometimes cheapest anyway !). It was usually the best option for us.

We've used Tui, but since they got their more efficient dreamliners, they've never been price competitive. I've also used Thomas Cook, but didn't rate them as they never seemed to leave on time, but sometimes the saving on price was large enough to overcome my annoyance, and their food was good.

As our family grew we got more price sensitive, We booked indirect with American for 2020, but obviously never got to experience it, that was price winning out over convenience.
We're booked with Aer Lingus this August... if it happens, again cheapest won.

Edited at 11:39 AM.
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

You’re looking quite early so it may be that other options will have arrived by then - for example Jet Blue will have started transatlantic flights, other carriers may be available and so on?
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Honestly for me it usually comes down to the price when choosing which airlines to fly with.

On my first trip to the US as an adult I went with United because it was the cheapest, had a disastrous experience with delays and vowed to avoid United if I could in the future... The next year I found myself on United again because it was again the cheapest! (And I've since flown with them several more times because of price plus they totally redeemed themselves in my eyes when they got me out of Orlando before Hurricane Irma in 2017.)

I've also flown BA on the Gatwick-Orlando route, which was fairly decent.

Generally when searching for flights I'll use Kayak or Skyscanner or ITA matrix or similar to have a quick look at different prices (though some charter airlines won't show up on these). Then based on those prices I'll look into more detail on the airline websites as to what flight combinations and times are available and see if there are any that suit!

Occasionally I might pay a bit more to fly on a slightly newer aircraft (Dreamliner or A350s are great) or for better flight timings too.
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

We are not loyal to anything but price to be honest. One metal tube is much the same as another in terms of spending 8+ hours in a seat, watching movies and eating suspicious food.

We are big fans of the Virgin Lounge so this can make a difference if the prices are similar. Our last flight was with BA and was great other than a 3 hour delay. Virgin got us there on time but my seat was uncomfortable (only on the outbound flight so must have been a dodgy cusion). AA were pretty good too.

I've heard good things about TUI but who knows when they will be flying again. I'd base my decision on price and check the reviews on here and other travel sites nearer the time.

I'd happily fly with anyone as long as the price is good. Lets face it, unless you pay for posh seats you're going to be uncomfortable, tired and grouchy when you get to Florida. What you save on your flights can be spent on cocktails!
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

As other posters have alluded to, I cannot relate to the concept of “best flights”. I have flown on numerous airlines in all travel classes, and by travel class they are much of a muchness.

At the moment I generally stick with BA but my brand loyalty is purely driven by executive club membership and wanting to keep my points in one place. If there were no such thing as frequent flyer clubs, then I would fly on whatever airline is the cheapest.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

best flights = the cheapest for your dates

as other have said its a to b , cheapest & pretty much ontime is the best

i'd go with jet2 if they did it, bring a meal deal & an ipad jobs a good un
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Potterfan5686
slightly serious Dibber

Potterfan5686's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Thanks everyone.

We are of course all about saving the ££££ and tbh I didn't really know of any flight providers other than virgin and tui so these are great thank you.

We are hoping to do 3 weeks this time as in previous years we did 2 but our children were older then we not have another young child and by the time we go in 2023 he will only be 6 so have to consider his little skinny legs 😂😂

Thanks again though, is there a best time to look? Do virgin still have sales or anything?
Potterfan5686 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
keely21
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Potterfan5686 View Post
Hey guys,

We are hoping to be booking to go back in October 2023. We have flown with Thomas Cook and virgin but wondered if there were any other flights we should consider. And in your opinion which flights are the best.

Thanks 😊
This is an interesting post ive also booked a hotel for 2023 but obviously no flights so will be looking when flights become available. Some of these airlines ive never even heard of so good to now have more options!