Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

This is the Wisteria I grew from a layered cutting in our garden in France. When we moved back to the UK 8 years ago it was about 15 inches tall with just a few leaves on. It's flowered early this year so sadly is beginning to go over now but it will flower again in September

And my tomatoes seedlings, I grow lots of different varieties from seed which I keep from fruits grown the previous year. Red, yellow, black cherry, black Russian and miniature reds
I always plant way too many seeds so have plants for ourselves and plenty to give away. We always have gluts so I freeze and preserve them and eat them in one form or another all year round
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Charl_bb View Post
I've gone full on veggie grower, planted all-sorts but unsure when they will come out/be ready to pick! I'm not hopeful of growing much but my pea shoots came up the other day and I was beside myself with excitement!
It’s the little things right now hat count, I know I will be very excited if any of my plants grow. I’m hoping to get some more veg seeds but there weren’t any others in Lidl, just radish and carrots. Maybe I could try a different store next time.

Do post pics when you have lots of veg growing 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Ooh brilliant thread thanks. I’ve currently got a windowsill full of the little M & S pots plus Sunflower seedlings in varying degrees of success.

I was initially just spraying water on each day and most of seedlings sprouted; basil, beetroot, pansy, Viola, lettuce, cress, forget me not and finally red peppers. Some of the seedlings went leggy and died off but others aren’t doing too bad. I’ve since started adding water to base of pots (does this encourage root growth?)

The sunflowers were in a bucket kit which when seedlings all sprouted you had to transplant all but four. The ones which have been transplanted have been doing much better than the ones in the bucket so I’m not sure if it’s down to different compost used.

I don’t know when to move all seedlings outside as it’s been chilly at night here and I don’t have a greenhouse or cold frame.
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Fantastic thread.
Gardening I’ve planted some pots up with bulbs and let type shrubs. Really excited to see some of the bulbs start to shoot.

I’ve not gone down the veg and herb route as one of our dogs has eaten them before- The long term plan is to fence off the back of the garden and have a mini orchard with veg beds but my ambitions far outweigh my skills!
A mini orchard sounds lovely. It would be so nice to pick your own fruit. We tried growing strawberries once but sadly the birds had them before we did 😢 I’ve always loved feeding the birds, but I do wish they would stick to the feeders not my plants 😂
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Great idea for a thread DisneyDaffodil

Keep it going!

BB
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
This is the Wisteria I grew from a layered cutting in our garden in France. When we moved back to the UK 8 years ago it was about 15 inches tall with just a few leaves on. It's flowered early this year so sadly is beginning to go over now but it will flower again in September

And my tomatoes seedlings, I grow lots of different varieties from seed which I keep from fruits grown the previous year. Red, yellow, black cherry, black Russian and miniature reds
I always plant way too many seeds so have plants for ourselves and plenty to give away. We always have gluts so I freeze and preserve them and eat them in one form or another all year round
I love wisteria, it’s so pretty and yours look beautiful. How lovely to sit on the bench underneath

The tomato seedings have grown well, I do hope you get a good crop of tomatoes
Old 26 Apr 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
Also loving the caravan talk, especially sites. We have tended to stick with caravan club or caravan and camping sites but I’d like to branch out a bit.
Favourite places- Norfolk- we go between Sherringham and Cromer- just lovely. Last summer we swam in the sea every day.
Northumberland, we tend to go to a site near Embleton, again a lovely walk to the beach.
Other favourites include the lakes, Shropshire and of course North Yorkshire.
Last summer we went up to the Highlands of Scotland to a small site on the banks of Loch Naver it was so tranquil, an experience towing a 6 berth caravan down single track roads though!
Want to do Wales next. I fancy somewhere near Barmouth.
Some beautiful areas there, I’ve always fancied Scotland but the distance puts my DH off especially towing the van.

Barmouth is lovely, we visited the Snowdonia area two years ago. I had been lots as a child but hadn’t been for years but we loved it there, very unspoilt and wasn’t too crowded even in August
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
SnowWhite
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you DD yes it's very peaceful and the patio area is a bit of a suntrap. The joy of growing new plants from layered cuttings is that they flower as soon as they have rootstock and leaves strong enough to feed the flower buds. If you tried to grow the plant from seeds it can take 15 years before they flower eeeks! couldn't wait that long lol
SnowWhite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
We are torn between the Padstow area and North Devon and the Exmoor area. Favourite caravan site on Exmoor
exevalleycamping/

I would really like to holiday in Tenby again but DH feels it is too far to tow from Sussex,
when we went to the Tenby area from Kent it took us 9 hours to get there on a Friday morning in August, my OH was all for turning back and losing the £800 odd I had spent on a lodge We have been to Padstow and that area too which was lovely but I personally thought Wales was nicer.
Old 26 Apr 20, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
Have you ever been to Angle? Everyone always say, oh, you mean Anglesea...no, angle. It is a lovely little village, one shop come post office the size of a living room, a really nice pub call the hibernia which does tasty meals, an unspoilt beach (it used to have a shop/cafe near the beach but last time we were there it had closed down-but that was about 9 years ago, used to visit annually as friends family have a static on the site there) with sandy parts and rock pools too. Very fond memories of going there. On the way there you have to drive through freshwater which is also a lovely long beach, and where they filmed the bit in Harry Potter with the house made of shells when he was looking for the different horcruxes.
Yes I’ve been to Angle. It is lovely there and Freshwater too. So many people rush to Tenby which is beautiful but busy, and there are so many other unknown parts of the county to see. Definitely going to be the first place we take the van when we can