Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 21, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

ChrisS I’m not sure but after the last/property crash is it still the same in Florida that all Condos ( apartments ) need to be bought outright as the banks were so stung last time with foreclosures on them and high HOA fees that they needed to pay and then add on to resale purchasers in some cases thousands of $
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mazworld15 View Post
Having a rethink, apartment in a complex with a pool? Anyone own one, do you rent it?
I can’t offer much info but am aware that with condos, in particular, there can be restrictions on rental periods.
Some aren’t allowed to be rented for less than 7 days, 14 days, 1 month or more than x days per month/year etc; I’ve seen some on the Gulf Coast that must be rented for at least 3 months.
I believe these limits can be dependant on the location of the condo &/or HOA rules.
Worth bearing in mind if you’re buying with a view to renting it out.

Edited at 07:42 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Thumbs up

A really interesting thread. I will admit to wanting to bail out to Florida and being told by my better half I'm viewing life through rose tinted spectacles... and it would seem I sure am!
To retire out there sounds majorly expensive (at least 10 years before we could do that). Is it more realistic to maybe look at doing 6 month long term rents between here and the UK? Or are there implications with doing that sort of thing too?

Bookmarked
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
ChrisS I’m not sure but after the last/property crash is it still the same in Florida that all Condos ( apartments ) need to be bought outright as the banks were so stung last time with foreclosures on them and high HOA fees that they needed to pay and then add on to resale purchasers in some cases thousands of $
Don't know if banks now loan against condo's Helen, as it was many years ago they may be again, or, thinking out loud, could/did they apply a higher deposit caveat, I'll ask my pal but as she retired around 2009 she may not know.

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
A really interesting thread. I will admit to wanting to bail out to Florida and being told by my better half I'm viewing life through rose tinted spectacles... and it would seem I sure am!
To retire out there sounds majorly expensive (at least 10 years before we could do that). Is it more realistic to maybe look at doing 6 month long term rents between here and the UK? Or are there implications with doing that sort of thing too?

Bookmarked
Hiya Pupbelly [ at the name], yes, remove those rose tinted. Fl property ownership is expensive, particularly if you intend to rent out as guests expect all bells and whistles.

Whilst there's no retirement visa, one can Embassy apply for B2 tourist visa, if approved, it offers a 180 day stay vs ESTA 2 x 90 day stays a year. Immigration can be twitchy of departing on the 180th day, we depart on day 178, they appreciate a couple of days leeway and it shows we're allowance understanding, we also remain out of the US in excess of 178 days. NOTE: if B2 is denied that's classed as a change in circumstances, one must declare visa denial when ESTA applying.

We began 88 day stays Jan-April in 2011/12. June 2012 we were B2 approved, beginning 178 day stays from Nov 2012. Based on a simple IRS calculation, in 2014 we began completing Closer Connection F8840, a simple form one mails to the IRS in Austin proving UK closer connection. Failure to complete F8840 may see the US taxing ones UK income. See F8840 HERE, don't over-think completion, ask if I can help with F8840 or relevant long stay info.

Due to 27 years of SW Fl travel friends store our big 22 year old Fl motor, Tank, whilst we're in the UK. Currently Tank has been in residence with our mechanic since we had to get the heck out of Dodge last April, 5 weeks early, and yes, I counted every 'lost' Bokeelia day!
Old 16 Jun 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Top advice there ChrisS. Rose tinted glasses well and truly removed and put in the bottom drawer!

Initial thoughts are - bugga!

Plan B time... although Plan B has yet to be formulated! We've plenty of time to sort something, and whilst holidaying in Florida is all very nice, actually living there is of course a whole different ball game and needs thorough research and understanding.

Ah well, every day a school day, your advice is much appreciated 'If' we get to return next April we will see what we can suss out when we are there. We just need Cracker Barrel in the UK to keep my wife happy
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

I also considered a place in Florida in the future after I've sold a couple of houses. But the yearly cost are making me think again. More now towards a long winter in a motorhome or maybe a fifth-wheeler touring Europe.
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Way too much gun crime for me to spend more than a few weeks in one place. I remember a shoot out outside Target on the 192 and no body seemed that bothered. Police just coned off a few parking spaces

As a British citizen you will probably be the only person without a gun or firearm.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Oops thanks to good neighbors who nipped round to ours and reset the sprinkler for=the lawn the whole estate had a major power outage builders over in the next estate turned us and 2 other neighbor hoods off for hours so our sprinkler would have come on at the wrong time $50 fine and doubled up every time it came on out with our designated watering hours
Ie $100 the next time $200 etc and unpaid fines can result in a Leiu on your home and it can be a really stupidly low non payment amount if bills are not payed for certain fees and you are looking at loosing your property
We’ve just had a bill from our HOA for armadillo removal they can cause havoc to property they have been removed to a sanctuary and the bill for annual termite inspection $650 for nowt
That was termite barrier renewal inspection insurance certificate and the Armadillos relocated and mail boxes being repainted etc
Roof and drive way cleaning notices ie they need done also
Out this week happy happy face ours are fine oh and because the HOA are in dispute with next door to us about trash cans being on the wrong side of their house I’ve got a stay about mine being on show ( I can’t put mine behind the live bin screen because theirs are on the wrong side so mine have to be on show ) apparently a huge yellow sticker slapped on them so I don’t get fined
It might be the land of the free but it’s slso the land of the fine folks
We stayed in a villa in Formosa gardens a couple of times. Woke up one morning and discovered an Armadillo had burrowed under the flagstone leading to our pool area overnight! You could see a huge hole a there was a tail print!
MinniMouse is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Way too much gun crime for me to spend more than a few weeks in one place. I remember a shoot out outside Target on the 192 and no body seemed that bothered. Police just coned off a few parking spaces

As a British citizen you will probably be the only person without a gun or firearm.
We agree with you Moorlandman, Brits don't realised what a gun state is Florida.
On one trip we had gone into Jared at the Loop, on coming out there had been a shooting at Ross opposite.

We suggest that every tourist goes into Bass Pro at the top of International Drive to see how big their gun department is. It is a eye opener

Melvin and Lesley
Old 16 Jun 21, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

If you won the Euromillions, would it be easy to get a visa? (lol)
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List