Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Jun 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Court Usher ?

I’ve decided retirement isn’t for me, yeah mad I know, but I like to keep busy. I’ve applied for and got a first interview for a court usher in the next couple of weeks.

Be great if there are any court ushers on the Dibb who could provide some invaluable help to bring to the fore in my interview, or anything from anyone else that would be useful.

Thanks
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

No advice
Good luck 🤩x
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Thank you 👍
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I was a court usher about 15 years ago. I can’t really remember much of the interview process though. What’s your previous work experience?
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Giving financial advice for large banks. My view, possibly incorrect, is the principle will be the same, diligent with the paperwork and make sure the people you deal with are well looked after, know what’s happening and be professional at all times.
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I spent a lot of time in courts years ago and the court usher was the general dogs body/assistant in the courtroom so telling people off for talking in the courtroom and also handing evidence to the judge.

My neighbour who was a court usher at the old bailey having been a met dog handler prior to his retirement.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 21, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Giving financial advice for large banks. My view, possibly incorrect, is the principle will be the same, diligent with the paperwork and make sure the people you deal with are well looked after, know what’s happening and be professional at all times.
That sounds about right to me, as well as being compassionate, calm under pressure and robust when required. Things don’t always go according to plan, and you need to be ready for anything

I’m a lawyer, and I don’t know what my kind would do without the fabulous ushers at our local Court.
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
That sounds about right to me, as well as being compassionate, calm under pressure and robust when required. Things don’t always go according to plan, and you need to be ready for anything

I’m a lawyer, and I don’t know what my kind would do without the fabulous ushers at our local Court.
Is there any tips you would give me that would show I’ve done my homework pre interview ?
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Is there any tips you would give me that would show I’ve done my homework pre interview ?
I don’t know how different our system is here, but hopefully not so different that the basics don’t work.

Ushers can be used in any type of Court, whether a trial, list, sentencing etc.

At a trial, duties would be fetching witnesses from their room when it’s their turn to give evidence, and taking them through their oath. I will always tell the usher beforehand if one of my people needs anything outside the “usual” New Testament or affirmation, but it’s always worth checking if a witness needs a Qu’ran, Torah etc. for their oath.

Bear in mind a surprising number of people are not literate, in which case the usher would normally ask the witness to repeat after them and go through a bit at a time. You will appreciate the need to be sensitive, as illiteracy can be a source of embarrassment, so whilst collecting the witness you could ask if they would like you to read the oath for them to repeat or whether they want to read it themselves. This would save the poor soul from having to say, in a Court full of people, that they struggle to read.

Ushers would also pass papers which the lawyers want to hand in to the judge. In that sense, you need your eye on the ball when proceedings are ongoing.

When we do list Courts, the usher is responsible for calling each case as it comes on. Lawyers are prone to go walkies, especially if they are committed in more than one Court, so the ability to look a couple of cases ahead, realise Miss X is missing and locate them will curry favour with the profession and the judge. You might feel this shouldn’t be needed, but Courts often operate in isolation without much regard for other commitments, and every judge wants things to run smoothly.

In criminal cases, the usher normally makes sure defendants sign their bail bonds and are provided with any paperwork they require, and that warrants for those in custody make their way to the staff in the cells.

You will be dealing with a lot of people, from all walks of life, and whatever they may have done or not done, or may have experienced or not experienced, they and their families are all entitled to be treated with respect. This is something our judges say again and again when doing work with trainees as they come through.

Sadly, that respect won’t always be returned. There will always be people who want to make life difficult or create a scene, and we all have to rise above. A few weeks ago, we had a defendant who was clearly inebriated and they were storming into the meeting rooms, insulting everyone who walked past them, sat in the public gallery providing a running commentary, and ultimately had to be removed from the building. On another occasion, a defendant removed all their clothing whilst in the waiting area and was roaming around the building naked. A discussion had to be had about them either putting their clothes on and keeping them on, or being chucked out and having a warrant issued to bring them to Court on another day. Both were unrepresented, so no lawyers to try and keep them in line. Never a dull moment.
Old 10 Jun 21, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias

Thank you so much for that very detailed reply, I will be looking to formulate the content do I’m prepared for anything like this that might come up in the interview.

Really appreciated.