Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Jun 21, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We have always had milk delivered. Over the last 42 years we have only had 3 milkmen and until paying and ordering online knew them well. I prefer the taste of milk from a glass bottle, I can always tell if it’s from plastic. Ours is delivered at 3:30 am and put in a milk safe which we bough from Express Dairies around 20 years ago. It’s plastic lined with insulation with a secret button catch so keeps it safe from passers by and cold, it’s still cool if I forget to get it in til the evening. It’s getting tatty now and I’d love a new one but can’t find one as good.

Edited at 08:24 AM.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 21, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

When living at home our parents always had a milkman , milk, buttermilk for baking, orange juice , eggs etc. When we got married the first thing we did was find our who delivered locally, second move the same . At this stage we get milk delivered every other day, M W F
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 21, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

We had a milkman (Milk and More) through 1st lockdown as Asda who I have always used for home deliveries kept running out of milk and only brought 4 pts when I ordered 16pts a week. As we were staying out of all shops then and being careful, I did use milkman but was so much more expensive so stopped as soon as supplies were better.

They also used to deliver at random time like 1am or 4am, but when we got up at 8am (ish) the milk had been stood outside for 6+ hrs and was off. I even left a cool box with ice blocks and a big note asking for the milk to be put in the cool box which he ignored. So I got rid of milkman.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 21, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

My parents have a milk man, they have had one for as long as I can remember.

My mum used to work in a supermarket but they still had milk delivered. When I asked them why, they said that an elderly neighbour got milk delivered too and worried that if they cancelled the milk man would maybe stop coming to their street as it might not be worth it for only one house.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

We don’t, however the other week DS (18) pulled an all-nighter watching the recent boxing match that was on at 2am while chatting to his mates online - he then stayed up to go early to the gym. The next day he said to me that he’d never realised there milk deliveries were still a thing - but he’d had his bedroom window open and heard a noise outside at 5am - it was our neighbour across the way getting milk delivered!
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 21, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Did anyone else have one of these growing up? We actually had a milk hatch, didn’t even have to open the front door!

core77/posts/103681/...-In-Milk-Doors
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

I've used the same local farm and milkman all my life and I wouldn't dream of not using one. We occasionally buy a top-up from Tesco, but this is always under sufference, knowing how the supermarkets screw the farmers into the ground on prices. A couple of large-ish local farms have stopped producing milk over the last decade or so because it just wasn't economical for them to do so.
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

We’ve looked into it but can’t justify 2x the cost of supermarkets and next doors are delivered in plastic so no benefit there.

**I would rather pay more at the supermarket and the farmers paid a fair price but twice as much is too much**
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

Mine is a really nice bloke, Bernie, he is the fastest in the north west.
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we dont use him but there is one comes into our street at daft o'clock

as lad i was a milk boy, great job once you get over the 4am starts... two 12 year olds hanging on the back of milk float going down the A1 in the middle of winter... try that today you would end up on some sort of register...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List