Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jun 21, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Anyone had an ankle fusion?

As the title says, anyone had this done? It’s looking like hubby might be having one sooner rather than later. How was it/is it? Anything we should know?
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

My FIL had this back in 2006 when he was 54. I don't recall him having any issues at the time and he's been fine since. He worked up until 2019 with no problems.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I had it done when I was 29.

You should try to maintain a healthy weight, before and after surgery, which can be difficult when you are immobile.

Follow the physiotherapist's instructions. They can make the difference on how successful your surgery is.

I had my ankle replaced after 14 years, the fusion was fine but my rheumatoid arthritis had caused further damage.

Look forward to more pain free days!
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

I badly damaged my ankle in two falls and so this was something I considered some 30+ years ago but decided against in the end.

Main reasons I decided not to go ahead was I was only given a 40% chance of the operation being a success at the time. I was also told I would have a very long recovery time, would have difficulty walking on uneven surfaces after the op as my foot would be unable to flex, and this would be likely to cause me to have a lot of falls.

I hoped instead to have a replacement ankle joint operation but that never happened either.

As a new young mum at the time it seemed a lot to go through for no guarantees of less pain and possibly even worse mobility, but I often wonder if I made the right decision.

I am sure that things have improved considerably since then though.

I still have major problems with the deformity and pain with my ankle to this day.

Good luck whatever your husband decides to do.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

My son was born with fixed ankles and it didn't stop him from most things. However, driving posed a bit of a problem as he has to move his whole leg in order to use the peddles - he has toe movement but in shoes it wasn't strong enough to press down the peddles. He has been driving for about a year now and says he wants to go and try out hand controls. So if he drives a lot I think he needs to think a bit about how much ankle movement he uses when driving and if he will have to wear any type of support that maybe 'unforgiving' in a small space.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Thanks all, surgery is the only option now and the consultant says sooner rather than later, thank goodness for private healthcare, they’ve already approved it!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List