Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Sep 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
Perhaps a amateur dramatics group would like it for their costume dept?
Or a school/college for their drama dept?
I know some of the young people I work with have to go to charity shops to get various costumes for their school productions.

Edited; hope this didn’t come across as a rude use of your dress! They really need stuff like this!

Edited at 09:56 PM.
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I kept mine for years- 1980s style ( think of the dance scene by Truly Scrumptious in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
On our 25th wedding anniversary DD put it on to model it and paraded around the house in it in her best 'Kate Bush' style.
I had borrowed the veil from a friend and I wore my Mums headdress which was orange blossom effect design made of wax flowers which she still has.
DH died shortly after our 35th wedding anniversary and I donated my dress to a charity shop last year
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
In hindsight, I would had sold/got rid of mine straight after the wedding when it was still in fashion. Now it’s boxed up and will probably never get taken out of the box but as it was 11 years ago I doubt I could do anything with it.

Sometimes they have a ball around here where people can re wear their dress but I don’t think I would go to onez
How many people still fit their dress to go to one lol

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
I have mine in the loft no idea why I'm divorced so has no sentimental meaning now. I looked into giving it to the place that takes them to make gowns for angel babies. The last time I checked they couldn't accept any new donations.
Mines sat there for 23 years laughing at me as I couldn't get one boob in it now 😆
Ha ha I'm worried I will never deal with it if I put it into the loft I can totally see this happening if I keep it for 'a bit'

Originally Posted by Infinity Red View Post
My dress went down the aisle twice , once on me and then I let a young work colleague use it for her wedding as she was only 19, skint and pregnant, so she was really grateful. Then a few yrs later I gave it to a charity shop. I don't regret it, I like to think it was hopefully used again.
I think I will donate it in some form just so it is re used

Originally Posted by kempydee View Post
Perhaps a amateur dramatics group would like it for their costume dept?
Or a school/college for their drama dept?
I know some of the young people I work with have to go to charity shops to get various costumes for their school productions.

Edited; hope this didn’t come across as a rude use of your dress! They really need stuff like this!
Not at all rude. I am open to the suggestions. It would be lovely for it to get used somehow.

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
I kept mine for years- 1980s style ( think of the dance scene by Truly Scrumptious in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
On our 25th wedding anniversary DD put it on to model it and paraded around the house in it in her best 'Kate Bush' style.
I had borrowed the veil from a friend and I wore my Mums headdress which was orange blossom effect design made of wax flowers which she still has.
DH died shortly after our 35th wedding anniversary and I donated my dress to a charity shop last year
Awww beautiful pic (I think when you loose a close loved one you realise that things aren't important like the memories xx)
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
I have space to store it in the loft if I need to. I guess clearing out my mums has made me realise that I don't want my own kids having to go through the same emotions as I have been going through
I agree with that entirely I felt the same when doing my mums house and mother in laws as well.
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

I gave mine to a local am dram group. It was out of fashion. They were looking for a Victorian Music Hall style..! (it was 1992 Laura Ashley.) If DD ever marries (which I don’t expect) it would not have been for her. If it did still fit (it did not! ), it would have felt a bit ‘Miss Haversham’ to dress up in it. I have kept my veil and still have the dress I danced in at our ceilidh. I’m happy it was used elsewhere. Good luck deciding. Xxx
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pdcdad View Post
I agree with that entirely I felt the same when doing my mums house and mother in laws as well.
Yes it has definitely been heart wrenching getting rid of their possessions and I feel it is unnecessary to put them through this xx

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
I gave mine to a local am dram group. It was out of fashion. They were looking for a Victorian Music Hall style..! (it was 1992 Laura Ashley.) If DD ever marries (which I don’t expect) it would not have been for her. If it did still fit (it did not! ), it would have felt a bit ‘Miss Haversham’ to dress up in it. I have kept my veil and still have the dress I danced in at our ceilidh. I’m happy it was used elsewhere. Good luck deciding. Xxx
I think my veil might stay with me at least for now I know I don't need the dress really. My girls enjoyed trying it on so I have those pics now as well so maybe I can let go. I haven't seen it for 13 years and it hasn't bothered me up until now lol
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Yes it has definitely been heart wrenching getting rid of their possessions and I feel it is unnecessary to put them through this xx

I think my veil might stay with me at least for now I know I don't need the dress really. My girls enjoyed trying it on so I have those pics now as well so maybe I can let go. I haven't seen it for 13 years and it hasn't bothered me up until now lol
I am sorry for the loss of your DM. If I was inheriting my mum’s dress, I don’t think I could part with that. It was made into a Christening frock, which will be kept. But it was easier to part with mine. As you say, you have photos of two generations in your dress. When an ex colleague lost her mum, she switched out all her kitchen implements for her mums ( spatula, wooden spoons etc), you will keep the stuff that holds meaning for you and happy memories and photos of the rest. Wish you well with it. Xx
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsNobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My dress was made for me by my bridesmaid and then I had mine made in to a Christening Gown and bonnet. All three of my kids wore it and I had their names and date of birth embroidered on the hem in pink for my daughter and blue for my sons. The boys didnt wear the bonnet and its now hanging in the spare wardrobe.
MrsNobby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

My mum in law used parts of it to make Christening dresses for my daughter’s and my Niece dress
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post

My wedding dress is boxed up and I would not dream of getting rid of it and I don’t feel the need to do anything with it either. I very occasionally take it out and have a look, I am supposed to take it out and re-fold from time to time anyway.

Edited at 11:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List