Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 30 Oct 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile Anyone took young kids to the other side of the world?

Hi Dibbers

Just starting to plan a trip to see my sister in Melbourne in a couple of years time, when my kids will be 5 and nearly 4. And wondered if any of you had taken your young kids so far before?

Any tips?

How many different places do you think is reasonable in a 3 weeks holiday? (Our last trip to Oz involved 5 different stops & 10 flights!)

I don’t want to move them too much but also want to make the most of it...
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I did. I took DS for the first time to NZ and Australia when he was 23 months. We flew with Emirates to Sydney and had a couple of nights there before flying to Auckland, had a night in a very interesting (that’s the most friendly way of describing it) motel before catching a flight to Queenstown. We stayed there for a few nights before flying to Wellington (stayed a couple of nights) and then doing a road trip of the north island stopping at Napier, Rotorua, Hamilton and then up to Whangarei where we stayed for a couple of weeks. Then we flew to Brisbane for a couple of weeks and stayed at my brother’s house. DS didn’t seem phased at all by moving around. Two years later in 2009, we did the trip again. This time we also had second DS who was 8 month old. We based ourselves in Whangarei (Dad lived there) for a few weeks, then flew to Brisbane before flying up to Cairns and staying in a hotel in Port Douglas for a week. We then stayed at my brother’s house for a week back in Brisbane. Emirates were fantastic with the boys. On the first trip the cabin crew took DS off our hands and I had to go find him after about an hour. I found him being spoiled eating first class food.😂 He is now 15 and loves travelling. He didn’t have any qualms about flying to Austria on a school trip when he was 13 and a football trip to Malaga last year.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

The furthest I have done is California which was 10/11 hr flight possibly? Did it was a almost 2 year old and wouldn’t do it again 🤣. Just far too long in one flight. He was bored despite packing lots to do and didn’t sleep 😡 I was tired from entertaining him constantly. Did a Florida trip with a 3 1/2 year old and that was more manageable. For flying I would take kids when they can nicely sit through a whole film. 🙂

One thing to consider is their body clocks needing to completely change. When taking my ds to Cali, he never really adjusted to their time, going to bed super early and waking up very early too. My dd coming back from Florida took over two weeks to get back to english time, so I factor jet lag in to any places you stop at.

Edited at 08:17 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
One thing to consider is their body clocks needing to completely change. When taking my ds to Cali, he never really adjusted to their time, going to bed super early and waking up very early too. My dd coming back from Florida took over two weeks to get back to english time, so I factor jet lag in to any places you stop at.
I have absolutely no recollection of issues with jet lag with either of them but neither of mine slept anyway so it was probably no different. 🤔🤣
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We took our 9 week old granddaughter to the USA for a 3 week 3500 mile road trip

At 6 months she came to California for 3 weeks and another 3000 miles road trip

9 months we had 2 weeks around North Carolina

15 months another 3 week and 3500 miles in the USA

Covid then stopped play

Each trip has involved 5/6/7 different hotels and it’s never been a issue , probably the hardest was at 15 months staying in my friends open plan house that doesn’t have stair gates , but with 4 adults around it wasn’t too bad as she was always watched .

None have been difficult, she’s never had jet lag , even the first trip she slept as normal from the first night . Same when we get home .

She’s never had a strict routine though which helps IMO , plus she’ll sleep in her pushchair at nights if we go out

Shes just over 2 now and if we can go she’ll come to the west coast in March and I’m sure it’ll be fine .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My brother did it in the opposite direction, being his 3 & 5 year olds hom for Xmas last year. They didn’t seemed phased at all.

They were here for 3 weeks and stayed with at least 4 families.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone! Gives me some confidence

My two are routine-y but I imagine will be less tied down by that age to naps & meal times etc (?!)

Currently thinking Melbourne —> Port Douglas —> Brisbane (Gold Coast theme parks )—> Dubai or Singapore or Hong Kong.

Would love to do NZ. Never have. But perhaps when they are older so we can do a lot of the adventure sports together.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairysparkled
Excited about Disney

I once took my two to Parkhead. They still have nightmares of it.

Edited at 10:58 PM.
Fairysparkled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Fairysparkled View Post
I once took my two to Parkhead. They still have nightmares off it.
Brilliant 😂😂😂😂
2littleboys is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I took my 2 to Brisbane by myself when DS was 3, we flew via Singapore so flights were 12 & 9 hours back to back.

We were there for 2 months so had plenty of time so that wasn't an issue I faced with how many stops we could pack in. I remember taking tons of entertainment for him on the plane but this was 14 years ago so I wasn't sure we'd even have seat back entertainment - although we did.

The toughest part of all the travelling was the stopover on the way home, we'd left Brisbane in the evening and arrived in Singapore in the middle of the night local time, he hadn't slept on the first flight, we had several hours layover and everything was closed, he was so over tired that my memory is just of him crying for hours and walking round and round Singapore airport until 1 gift shop opened, I could list every single item they sold as we spent so much time in there trying to relieve the boredom!

Other than that 1 blip it was all amazing, we did Australia zoo, the theme parks on the Gold Coast and the stunning beaches, made loads of incredible memories.

Go for it, flights and jet lag are a small price to pay for the memories and experience you give them imo.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List