Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Dec 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Amybelle88
Trying for More Ears

Citalopram Increase...can anyone help?

Hi everyone -

Just looking for a little bit of feedback from people who have increased their citalopram doses if you don't mind? I started on 20mg 4 years when I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I am completely cancer free now thankfully, but I have been left with a hell of a lot of PTSD and seriously bad health anxiety that has sky rocketed over the last few months and I decided to give the GP. a ring as I've been on the same dose for the full 4 years.

I really rate this medication, it's served me well for a long time but when I was put on it, I had a lot going on so can't 100% remember how I felt - I do however remember picking up within about 4-5 days which was a big surprise.

I feel quite nauseous with a small appetite at the moment, dry mouth, a little fuzzy headed, drowsy but not sleeping well and my anxiety does feel like it's levelled out and those thoughts aren't taking over like they were. I was losing days at a time just stuck in a spiral of pure fear, I could feel the adrenaline in my veins. I've had a few dips but I've clawed them back quite fast compared to how much I was spiralling even just last week. It was honestly horrendous and very frightening. I also had a nap this afternoon and woke up with butterflies in my stomach - not in a nervous, anxious kind of way, but in an excited kind of way which was odd as I'm not particularly excited about anything bar looking forward to seeing the kids faces on Christmas Day.

I have only been on the increase for two days so I know this is very early days, but I've felt a difference already and just wanted to see how others got on with the increase? Also, did anyone take anything to help them sleep? I've read about possibly using an antihistamine? I just don't want to be completely shattered on Christmas Day.

Thanks in advance everyone - please, if you have negative experiences with this drug I am so very sorry but please don't share, I don't want this to become a negative space as I do get on with the 20mg and really rate this AD.

Amy xx
Old 22 Dec 20, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi Amy, no advice I’m afraid, but really positive that you beat pancreatic cancer and I hope you get the anxiety under control. I can only begin to imagine the stress you experienced - I have had medical anxiety since watching my MIL succumb to the same cancer, so I can fully understand you having PTSD.
I wish you well, you are obviously a fighter andI am sure that you will get a hold of this as well.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Amybelle88
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi Amy, no advice I’m afraid, but really positive that you beat pancreatic cancer and I hope you get the anxiety under control. I can only begin to imagine the stress you experienced - I have had medical anxiety since watching my MIL succumb to the same cancer, so I can fully understand you having PTSD.
I wish you well, you are obviously a fighter andI am sure that you will get a hold of this as well.

Thank you so much, Sam! I'm incredibly sorry to hear about your MIL - it's a terrible illness. I was 27 when I was diagnosed but I think my age played in my favour in the end.

Medical anxiety is so hard, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm normally OK day to day, very rarely in a bad mood but I also think lockdown has really took a toll on people's mental health, too.

Take care and thanks for replying xx
Old 22 Dec 20, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I lost my uncle and best friend to this dreadful disease, really happy and amazed to hear your story.
Sorry no help but to me you are a living miracle. X
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Amybelle88
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I lost my uncle and best friend to this dreadful disease, really happy and amazed to hear your story.
Sorry no help but to me you are a living miracle. X

Hi Sue,

I am so very sorry - it is a cancer that is so poorly understood and the early symptoms are often dismissed by doctors as basic things like reflux etc. It never fails to make me sad when I hear of more people losing their lives.

My condolences xx

I just caught it early but it was a slog - this is my story if you'd like to read it in, in the spirit of spreading extra awareness.

dailymail/health/a...rm-cancer.html

Amy xx
Old 22 Dec 20, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Amy,

I’ve taken a variety of anti depressants over the years until my GP and I agreed we’d hit on the right combo for me. So I totally understand how you feel encouraged by your progress with Citalopram.

I had difficulty sleeping with some pills, or felt drowsy during the day. With support from my GP I tried taking them at different times. Some made me sleepy so I took them at night. Those that kept me awake I took in the mornings.

Well done on your recovery from pc.

Linda x

Edited at 08:30 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
It can take upto 4 weeks to have full effect what your feeling is quite ‘normal ‘ side effects - these can take a few days to wear off - however if you feel that you can’t manage the side effects then please speak with your GP again.
Most people I know take it in the morning and aren't too drowsy during the day and if you still need something to help you sleep then yes you can use an antihistamine just ask the pharmacist at the chemist you get it from to advise you.

Take care
I agree citalopram is a good anti depressant

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Amybelle88
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Amy,

I’ve taken a variety of anti depressants over the years until my GP and I agreed we’d hit on the right combo for me. So I totally understand how you feel encouraged by your progress with Citalopram.

I had difficulty sleeping with some pills, or felt drowsy during the day. With support from my GP I tried taking them at different times. Some made me sleepy so I took them at night. Those that kept me awake I took in the mornings.

Well done on your recovery from pc.

Linda x
Thank you so much, Linda. I feel drowsy but not properly tired, although I have read that can be a side effect. I worked in a pharmacy for many years and used to advise people, but when it's yourself it's like you forget!

Originally Posted by MEZZA View Post
It can take upto 4 weeks to have full effect what your feeling is quite ‘normal ‘ side effects - these can take a few days to wear off - however if you feel that you can’t manage the side effects then please speak with your GP again.
Most people I know take it in the morning and aren't too drowsy during the day and if you still need something to help you sleep then yes you can use an antihistamine just ask the pharmacist at the chemist you get it from to advise you.

Take care
I agree citalopram is a good anti depressant
Thank you very much Mezza! I couldn't remember if I had them last time, they aren't bothering me too much to be honest, I'm functioning fine and still doing all of the usual 'mum' stuff, I feel more upbeat for sure, too. I was just wondering if I was actually feeling the affects or it was a placebo but then who cares, hey? Feeling good is better than feeling bad!

I have an antihistamine here, I worked in a pharmacy but always cross-checked before trying anything myself, but I'll take a spoonful before bed I think it'll be fine.

Thank you so much xx
Old 22 Dec 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Hmr89
slightly serious Dibber

My sister takes citalopram for anxiety and depression. She was in a really bad way beforehand and tried many different drugs/doses/combinations before she moved to citalopram and the difference in her has been amazing!

Over the last few months she's had some health issues that are being investigated and that's increased her anxiety so a couple of weeks ago she asked for her dose to be upped. A few days after the change she had to ring her husband to pick her up early from work as she was incredibly tired and had headaches. She also had difficulty sleeping (she lives in Australia so was phoning me at what would be the middle of the night for her) but she said she wasn't awake because she was worrying about something, she just couldn't sleep despite feeling tired. I believe this, along with the headaches, lasted for a couple of weeks.
She's completely free of side effects now and despite waiting for some scary test results, she's very calm and relaxed and is convinced that it's down to the increase in dose XX
Hmr89 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Amybelle88
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Hmr89 View Post
My sister takes citalopram for anxiety and depression. She was in a really bad way beforehand and tried many different drugs/doses/combinations before she moved to citalopram and the difference in her has been amazing!

Over the last few months she's had some health issues that are being investigated and that's increased her anxiety so a couple of weeks ago she asked for her dose to be upped. A few days after the change she had to ring her husband to pick her up early from work as she was incredibly tired and had headaches. She also had difficulty sleeping (she lives in Australia so was phoning me at what would be the middle of the night for her) but she said she wasn't awake because she was worrying about something, she just couldn't sleep despite feeling tired. I believe this, along with the headaches, lasted for a couple of weeks.
She's completely free of side effects now and despite waiting for some scary test results, she's very calm and relaxed and is convinced that it's down to the increase in dose XX
I am so sorry to hear that she's dealing with some health problems and I really hope that her test results come back OK - if they don't, just think of me - I got the scariest news ever and I managed to turn it around and got through it. Everything is temporary.

Sending you so much love and positivity - thank you for sharing her experience with me, the not being able to sleep but feeling tired is so strange! Here's to the antihistamine tonight!