Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 10 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
WL or POFQ?

So we have stayed in several resorts including POP, ASMu, POR, POFQ, SSR, BC and BLT (DW has also stayed at CBR).

We love the smaller resorts and the feeling of being in the Disney bubble. So theming, close to facilities and a good food court have always been important for us.

With a little one who will be 4-5 next time we go then I also think we will spend more time at the pool / splash area.

We loved the values (preferred area) and of course the deluxe stays (BC on our honeymoon and great location for Epcot and Boardwalk).

Enjoyed POR but didn’t like SSR.

Anyhow, our last trip in 2019 we absolutely fell in love with POFQ. Small, nice pool area (DS didn’t like splash area but was only 22 months), great food court, lovely theming and of course the boat to Disney Springs.

However, I have always wanted to stay at WL. We have visited a few times for meals and would love to stay at some point.

Wishful thinking (for now) but if free DDP comes back, we would always upgrade from QSDP to DDP which would reduce any price difference between Moderate and Deluxe.

We would likely be visiting DS 2-3 times over 10-12 nights and in order of theme park time spent it would be MK, Ep, AK, DHS.

A bit long winded, but would really appreciate people’s thoughts or opinions on WL v POFQ.
Old 10 Jan 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I cannot think of any aspect of POFQ that would be better than WL

Your little one would love this ...

Disney332
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

We have stayed at both and really enjoyed both.

With MK being at the top of your list for visits then the boat from WL to the park would be great. The only thing I would say is that it doesn’t have a food court like POFQ. There is Roaring Fork which is their quick service (they had added more outdoor seating when we visited in Jan), also Geyser Point which is by the lake and lovely to sit in and enjoy a bite to eat and a drink. have you looked at the menus?

POFQ has the boat to Disney Springs which we enjoyed and a food court which, as you know, has a good choice.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
I cannot think of any aspect of POFQ that would be better than WL

Your little one would love this ...

Disney332
Thank you... they have something similar at POFQ. I expect he would love it now a little older but wouldn’t entertain it last time

Also like the idea of zero entry pools too which seems to be a major pool difference.
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
We have stayed at both and really enjoyed both.

With MK being at the top of your list for visits then the boat from WL to the park would be great. The only thing I would say is that it doesn’t have a food court like POFQ. There is Roaring Fork which is their quick service (they had added more outdoor seating when we visited in Jan), also Geyser Point which is by the lake and lovely to sit in and enjoy a bite to eat and a drink. have you looked at the menus?

POFQ has the boat to Disney Springs which we enjoyed and a food court which, as you know, has a good choice.
We really do like the food courts at both the value and moderates... something we missed at both BC and SSR.

However it seems that WL does have much more options than the above deluxes.

One thing I did see which I liked the idea of is getting the buzzer and having the meal served to your table. Is this correct?

One of the downsides of the bigger food courts is if everyone wants something different and whilst DW and DS went and found a table I would q up at one, get things from there then have to q up at another...

Menus seem ok and cover things that we would have. Like the idea of Geyser point too...

Are there problems with midgies with proximity to the lake..

Edited at 10:17 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

In January we didn’t have the problem of midges! We normally go winter months so haven’t noticed. However we were at CSR in August one year and again had no problems.

Yes I think they do now have a new system at RF where you get a number or buzzer and the CM brings out the food. They did this at Captain Cooks too.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
In January we didn’t have the problem of midges! We normally go winter months so haven’t noticed. However we were at CSR in August one year and again had no problems.

Yes I think they do now have a new system at RF where you get a number or buzzer and the CM brings out the food. They did this at Captain Cooks too.
Also just watched a video of Geyser Point which looks amazing...

We had a lot of good options on the POFQ food court menu... but WL seems extensive enough.

How would you compare both pools?

I think we will probably spend most time at MK and then Epcot... I guess best way to / from Epcot is via boat then monorail too or just bus?

Edited at 10:43 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

I’m not really a pool person so not the best to ask. As the main pool was busy we took our DD to the other one as it was quieter and better, as she was learning to swim. A sun lounger is all I need!
We also always hire a car so would drive to Epcot, although we did use the boat for MK.
Old 11 Jan 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We stayed at WL in September 2019. I have never stayed at POFQ but I have been over and had a good look around and had lunch there. I am interested to stay there sometime, particularly as it is I think the least spread out of the moderates, I don’t like sprawling resorts.

I thought the food court at POFQ was great. At WL we were club level so didn’t really take a lot of notice at the onsite food options, but there didn’t seem to be much on offer at Roaring Fork. It was better than YC “food court” but nowhere near as good as Gasparilla Grill or Contempo Cafe. I tried Geyser’s Point as I thought it looked idyllic, but it is possibly a victim of its own success, absolutely rammed and a thirty minute wait for a QS table, probably should be made TS with queues like that. I opted to sit at the bar rather than wait, but was summarily ignored, so I left. I complained to club level staff when I got back and they rang down and had a meal delivered to my room.

Room was fine, but a bit dark and small TV as it is in a cabinet, we overlooked a delivery area but also could see the MK fireworks at night which was nice. The staff were very nice and the public areas appealing, we don’t do pool days so cannot comment on that. We got fed up with the transport though and after nine days asked to be moved as we could not take the waiting any longer. We did the last five night at Grand Floridian club level. I would not stay at WL again because of the transport issues we experienced.

It is however hard to make a direct comparison between a deluxe and a moderate as one is likely to be double the price of the other or more, so comparing seems unbalanced. When I am picking a hotel, I usually decide on the broad budget / category first and then compare and contrast the options within that budget / category.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 21, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We stayed at WL in September 2019. I have never stayed at POFQ but I have been over and had a good look around and had lunch there. I am interested to stay there sometime, particularly as it is I think the least spread out of the moderates, I don’t like sprawling resorts.

I thought the food court at POFQ was great. At WL we were club level so didn’t really take a lot of notice at the onsite food options, but there didn’t seem to be much on offer at Roaring Fork. It was better than YC “food court” but nowhere near as good as Gasparilla Grill or Contempo Cafe. I tried Geyser’s Point as I thought it looked idyllic, but it is possibly a victim of its own success, absolutely rammed and a thirty minute wait for a QS table, probably should be made TS with queues like that. I opted to sit at the bar rather than wait, but was summarily ignored, so I left. I complained to club level staff when I got back and they rang down and had a meal delivered to my room.

Room was fine, but a bit dark and small TV as it is in a cabinet, we overlooked a delivery area but also could see the MK fireworks at night which was nice. The staff were very nice and the public areas appealing, we don’t do pool days so cannot comment on that. We got fed up with the transport though and after nine days asked to be moved as we could not take the waiting any longer. We did the last five night at Grand Floridian club level. I would not stay at WL again because of the transport issues we experienced.

It is however hard to make a direct comparison between a deluxe and a moderate as one is likely to be double the price of the other or more, so comparing seems unbalanced. When I am picking a hotel, I usually decide on the broad budget / category first and then compare and contrast the options within that budget / category.
Thank you for your honest review / opinions on WL.

POFQ is a lovely resort and one which we fell in love with and felt at home at. Seems the ideal choice for us next time, but WL has always been on my wish list.

The only other Deluxe which was on that list was Beach Club which we stayed for our honeymoon 9 years ago. With exception of the pool, not sure would be the best option with a 4-5 year old and would be looking for a more substantial food court area and splash area at the pool.

Whilst I agree about comparing mod with del, IF free DDP comes back as it used to be then an upgrade for 3 from QSDP to DDP makes it only 3/4 the price of WL (based on pricing for this year for example).

Budget not necessarily a massive issue. However, not sure we would push this to include the monorail resorts 1. for the price but mainly 2. not a massive fan.

We would only potentially be tempted by Poly. It was nice to stay 1 night in BLT, but Contemporary and GF do not appeal to us.