Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Removing bathroom wall tiles

Hi,

Is it an easy job to remove bathroom wall tiles? I’m far from an expert at DIY but can turn my hand to most things but wondered if this was a job too far! I know the plaster board will come away too, I would like my bathroom re tiled, all the fixtures would be staying & the shower had new wet wall a couple of years ago plus new flooring so it would just be the wall tiles! I would get an expert into fit the new ones!

Thank you
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

We very recently did our downstairs WC. It was fully tiled and a really bad job (like everything else in this house).
Hubby did it himself. We knew we’d be having the room reboarded and plastered so it didn’t matter about the mess it would make.
As the tiles were on studded walls on two sides, it all came away.

We didn’t want it fully tiled afterward - just the floor and a splash back. Glad we didn’t now as that room was always cold and now it feels much warmer.

Pics of studded wall and solid wall during removal.

Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP

Edited at 10:13 AM.
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Tiles can be a dream to come off or an absolute nightmare

Never ever try and get them off without wearing riggers gloves as they can be a sharp as a razor!

If on plasterboard 90% certain that will come off as well. In fact it's quicker to rip the whole lot down rather than mess around

If on existing plastered walls such as brick or block then normally you can get them off with a decent hammer and bolster chisel. Then go around chipping off any adhesive left behind. If it wont come off its quicker to put boards over the lot or skim .

If they are 1940's white ones with cement grout and cement adhesive then you will end up having to hack back to the brickwork - my house!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
We very recently did our downstairs WC. It was fully tiled and a really bad job (like everything else in this house).
Hubby did it himself. We knew we’d be having the room reboarded and plastered so it didn’t matter about the mess it would make.
As the tiles were on studded walls on two sides, it all came away.

We didn’t want it fully tiled afterward - just the floor and a splash back. Glad we didn’t now as that room was always cold and now it feels much warmer.

Pics of studded wall and solid wall during removal.

Thank you I will post a picture of what it’s like now
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Tiles can be a dream to come off or an absolute nightmare

Never ever try and get them off without wearing riggers gloves as they can be a sharp as a razor!

If on plasterboard 90% certain that will come off as well. In fact it's quicker to rip the whole lot down rather than mess around

If on existing plastered walls such as brick or block then normally you can get them off with a decent hammer and bolster chisel. Then go around chipping off any adhesive left behind. If it wont come off its quicker to put boards over the lot or skim .

If they are 1940's white ones with cement grout and cement adhesive then you will end up having to hack back to the brickwork - my house!
Thank you, house was built in the 70’s I will post a picture
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Not sure what I’ll do with the alcove bit don’t really like it 🙈
Old 20 Jan 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm, I thought these were 'after' pictures not before ones!

It looks fine to me but yes those tiles will come off. Here is the sting in the tail. If you are not replacing the sanitary ware then you have a high risk of it being broken and/or the bath punctured if it's not steel.

The bath must be covered with a sheet of thick plywood taped down in order to protect it.

Personally I would pop the loo and washand basin off before starting.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm, I thought these were 'after' pictures not before ones!

It looks fine to me but yes those tiles will come off. Here is the sting in the tail. If you are not replacing the sanitary ware then you have a high risk of it being broken and/or the bath punctured if it's not steel.

The bath must be covered with a sheet of thick plywood taped down in order to protect it.

Personally I would pop the loo and washand basin off before starting.
When we did ours, I dropped a tile on the toilet. Didn't end well. At that stage we weren't planning to replace the suite.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Midges17 View Post

Not sure what I’ll do with the alcove bit don’t really like it 🙈
Your bathroom looks great why are you changing it
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

i would probably change it too as too many tiles and too white

though it is very easy to paint tiles a different colour these days