Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Jul 13, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyore2009
Imagineer

eeyore2009's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9
I'm sorry that I have no advice but I didn't want to read and run. Hope everything works out for you all
Old 26 Jul 13, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
plain_waffle
Apprentice Imagineer

i have no advice but i think you're doing a great job of keeping a level head and putting the children first. i wish you luck and hope things aren't too stressful for you
plain_waffle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 13, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

It sounds like a solicitor is your only choice really, as it seems unlikely that you will both reach an amicable arrangement.

With regards to the funds in your name (albeit that they were designed for your children) I am afraid these will be included in the total assets, unless you can prove undoubtedly that they are only held in trust for your children (ie if they were bequeathed in a will and you have a copy showing that you are trustee).

My understanding is that basic division starts at 50-50 of all assets (minus any marital debts), and then is apportioned according to each parties current and potential salary, child costs etc. When my friend went through a very similar situation (she had been left £50K by her grandfather, but as they were married it was still classed as a marital asset), they had a 55 - 45 split in her favour as she was having main custody of the children.

I know it sounds very unfair, but I hope this will help you prepare for a worst case scenario.
Old 26 Jul 13, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post

I would suggest a solicitor. I have just had my absolute and when i first started proceedings worked part time so was able to have legal aid but i think this has changed now, because i still had a child living with me and under 16 the percentage negotiated was 60 - 40 split in my favour. it is a very stressfull time hope everything turns out well for you and sending you big (((hugs)))
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
hel1304
Imagineer

hel1304's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have decided to give collaborative another go & see iF we can get closer to agreeing anything next time. My bill is already over £1000 but I suppose I'd we can get everything accomplished in next couple of meetings it may mean that the divorce will cost less than traditional route.

My solicitor wanted to complete the divorce petition for £1100 + vat, but I have decided to do this myself £410 for petition & £45 absolute! She has kindly offered to check it over for free! So I do feel she is being fair to me.

Thanks again
Old 28 Jul 13, 07:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

hugs, my friend went thru similar, not nice at all, well done for all you are doing for the children. I hope you get a good outcome. My friend got the whole house etc, which was good, but five years on her ex is so bitter about it all that he continues to use the children to get back at her through his contact visits, and begrudges maintenance to children and even discusses how much he pays with his 10 and 6 year old, but he was exceptionally nasty and vindictive. Never met such a vile character. Good luck and lots of good wishes, give your kids an extra hug! your life can only get better afterwards and you can concentrate on the good things in your life. x
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hope everything works out for you and your children
Taffy1959 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 13, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread