Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Just remember to consider that a US iPhone only has half of the EU's 2 year warranty as part of your price comparison. Also their price needs tax adding on the US price.

May well be a little cheaper, but more risk involved.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

How much does the OP think they are saving on the iPhone?
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by martyn321 View Post
Get rid of he box and reciept and whos to say you didnt own it before you went out there. I doubt they are going to look into it that much, epecially if the phones in your pocket / hand bag on return.

This is not good advice. The onus is on the person travelling not UKBF to prove it wasnt bought overseas and the serial numbers can be checked with apple to show where it was sold. If you want to bring something in over the limit you can declare it and pay the customs charges. You may get lucky and not get stopped but you may also get stopped and face it being seized or you being fined or both. In extreme cases its actually a criminal offence. Being knowingly involved in the fraudulent evasion of duty.

You have absolutely no way of knowing which flights customs are focusing on and no idea what intelligence will lead them to. I can confirm that no flight route has a blanket ban on being examined so you take the risk.

You cannot pool allowances so its £390 per person and that will be anything you have bought and intend to bring back in. Am not sure how much of a saving you would be making in any event.

An yes I may well be a Debbie Downer on this but I sit at the other end of the process now and have seen, and continue to see, the outcomes.

Mr Tom I brought back tinfoil too until I discovered Costco stuff which is as good if not better!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sdrfish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

From my experience I’ve never had an issue. Last two times I have bought way in excess of the £360 limit. The 1st time it was over grands worth of stuff In a brand new suitcase with the American price tag still attached. I walked straight past 4 customs officers and through.

The best one o remember was my uncle walked though the green lane with brand new golf clubs still wrapped in shrink wrap and bag. The bag itself had a price sticker in large font saying reduced to $300 and again multiple customs officers there and they just ignored him.
sdrfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Ha ha. I'm not a fan of Walmart but they do huge rolls that are not only great quality but really cheap. A fraction of the price here.

I don't use much foil for cooking but both our Children do so we tend to bring them a roll each every trip.

Great Value Aluminum Foil, 285 sq ft is what we get
I see it has been mentioned before , but the Costco foil and cling film is brilliant and lasts ages ( we buy ours at home)
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post

New iPhone price in the US (entry level Iphone 11): $699

New iPhone price in the UK: £729

Current exchange rate: £1 = $1.23

Current exchange of $699 = £566

This doesn't include Florida sales tax which at 6% is about £34 so on the entry level Iphone 11 you would save £130

Not to be sniffed at and on the higher specced/priced models you would save even more £££
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Depends on the model of iPhone, example = iPhone Pro Max 256 gb, UK price £1299, US price is $1249 + $75 tax = $1324.

At todays rate that is £1085 saving approx £214.
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I'm not going to comment on the chances of getting stopped coming in but if the iPhone developed a fault would you be covered by apple if you try to get it fixed in the UK? Wont it be considered a grey import ?

I'm sure apple will have a record of which serial numbers are sold in which country.
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

I’m still laughing over bringing back tin foil... here you are kids...here’s your foil 🙊🤣🤣🤣... mind you we use loads, so may add that to my list 👌🏻
Mind you I bring back some daft stuff ... just cause you can’t get it in the uk 🤣🤣

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JillyEd
Excited about Disney

Thank you all. We were going to buy from Apple here and would save around £200 ish. But I am not brave enough to risk being stopped so not going to bother.

But tin foil... on my list!
JillyEd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List