Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Not sure what to do :(

Okay really sorry for the depressing post I know many people are struggling right now and don’t want to seem self indulgent

I’ve coped okay so far with things going on but for the last week my mental health has turned for the worst. I’ve suffered with mild anxiety issues for a long while but the last week or so I’ve been dreadful, constant anxiety, panic attacks, tears and irrational thoughts.

I know I need help but after ringing my GP I find out that as i haven’t been for years and I’m now out of their catchment area then I’m no longer registered. I feel stuck as I know it’s hard to register atm with a new gp and I genuinely need some help - anyone have any advice?
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. It is a very difficult time for people with mental health problems. Can you contact the Mind helpline? mind.uk/information-support/helplines/
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry to read this, I can't offer too much advice as all of this situation with COVID-19, being stuck in etc has really affected my mental health as well after trying so hard to get back to normal the last few months after a bad year or 2.

Anyway I'm not sure where you are based, but there's a few clinics around me (West Midlands) called 'Healthy Minds' and they offer a free service, they are part of the NHS.

They might be able to help.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MK_club1987 View Post
Sorry to read this, I can't offer too much advice as all of this situation with COVID-19, being stuck in etc has really affected my mental health as well after trying so hard to get back to normal the last few months after a bad year or 2.

Anyway I'm not sure where you are based, but there's a few clinics around me (West Midlands) called 'Healthy Minds' and they offer a free service, they are part of the NHS.

They might be able to help.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
Classed as west mids but in the staffordshire area? I’ve suffered with health anxiety over the last few years and managed to cope but this is just off the scale really - I cannot work as I can’t concentrate, my OH has literally had to block news sites from my laptop and phone so I can’t keep going on them it’s got that bad especially as the media say things like being in lockdown till next year which completely sets my panic off - I feel incredibly pathetic atm
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. It is a very difficult time for people with mental health problems. Can you contact the Mind helpline? mind.uk/information-support/helplines/
Thank you - my sister told me to call 111 but with everything that’s going on I don’t want to burden them with this - I’m just frustrated with myself for letting my GP lapse as I know I just need something to stabilise my mood
Old 22 Apr 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
Classed as west mids but in the staffordshire area? I’ve suffered with health anxiety over the last few years and managed to cope but this is just off the scale really - I cannot work as I can’t concentrate, my OH has literally had to block news sites from my laptop and phone so I can’t keep going on them it’s got that bad especially as the media say things like being in lockdown till next year which completely sets my panic off - I feel incredibly pathetic atm
Ok first thing is first, the one thing you are not is pathetic, I can completely relate to what you are saying, but please don't think your pathetic.

Here's the website to Healthy Minds in Birmingham, bsmhft.nhs.uk/our-servic...healthy-minds/

Even if they can't help you due to the area, they might be able to point you in the right direction, but the main thing with them is you don't need a GP referral.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
Thank you - my sister told me to call 111 but with everything that’s going on I don’t want to burden them with this - I’m just frustrated with myself for letting my GP lapse as I know I just need something to stabilise my mood
Please don’t feel pathetic, you really aren’t and many of us are finding this time extremely challenging.
I’m currently off work with depression/anxiety and stress, partly due to the current situation, partly due to work and partly due to personal issues. I have also restarted anti depressant medication.
Please don’t feel bad for calling 111 they will be able to direct you to a GP surgery who will be able to help you and signpost you to other services for support and help.
I also felt guilty for struggling and not coping but it is what it is and we need to remember that it’s okay not to be okay, particularly in these extremely challenging and difficult times. Please take care and be kind to yourself, sending you lots of hugs xxx
Princess Ariel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I managed to register with a new GP last week, they accepted emailed copies of all the forms and ID's etc. So please do try with a new GP, I know I can seem daunting (I have anxiety too and get overwhelmed easily) but it was really easy to do.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Also on the bsmhft website - should have info re health anxiety to do with coved 19 - I was emailed about last week
Other places to look at

Every mind matters
Nhs page on health anxiety

Your not alone feeling like you are- even us professionals are feeling it at the mo

Take care

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 20, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

Hi Lisa

Can't advise re GP and would only suggest Mind as above or maybe headspace? But, just wanted to say I understand. My anxiety has gone through the roof, all I can say is be kind to yourself. It has helped me to give myself permission to be a bit "pathetic"and I'm using headspace and breathing exercises.

I am still working (I work in school so I do 2 days a week at the moment) but I am finding sometimes I just can't concentrate - but I think it's ok - nothing is normal right now and we have to give ourselves a break, something those of us with anxiety tend not to do.

So please give yourself permission to do something (anything) that brings you joy and build up from there.

I hope you manage to get some medical help too.