Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 7 May 17, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Family Wheelchair assistance and their luggage.

Im travelling with my family, my dad can walk ok-ish but my mum and 2 brothers will need wheelchair assistance which I have already requested.
I plan on getting taking my wife and daughter through the airport as soon as I can, we are in PE so hopefully we get an empty immigration hall and as we don't live at the same address we will have to go through separate anyway, but will my dad get help with their suitcases (4) and hand luggage (2) or will they have to put them onto the second carousel?
I've heard that it can take an extra hour if they do have to do this so would be a pain if this happens.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 17, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Well first off wheelchair passengers are asked to wait until everyone else is off the plane ( so we don't get in the way of 400+ people). But wheelchair occupants and their families are taken into a special (short) queue, so generally get through very quickly. Don't know about the different address problem I'm afraid. Once you've collected your bags you have to go through customs and then to 2nd bag drop. You don't have do it if you don't mind going up and down the stairs a few times. It's only really a problem if it's raining because they stop the belt and nothing moves. Wheelchairs have to be taken up in a lift which can only be used by staff. But if some of you wait at the top of the stairs by the monorail, and someone stays at the bottom with the cases, you could transfer them that way up to the monorail. Having said that that would be a lot of cases and few able bodied people on the monorail. I must admit I'm not sure how far you can get assistance. We've only ever had it as far as the customs queue.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Diznut
Earning My Ears

hi
there were 2 disabled adults and 1 child (7 people in total)in our group. we used the second bag drop as the number of hands verses suitcases just didn't work out but found no problem with this and by the time we made it to 2nd pick up they were waiting for us. All members of our party went through special immigration together even though there were 4 different addresses between us, it wasn't questioned. Assistance only goes as far as the queue then you are left to it. hope this helps a bit, the thought of it all is very daunting but in practise it is a lot easier than you ever imagine.
Diznut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
Well first off wheelchair passengers are asked to wait until everyone else is off the plane ( so we don't get in the way of 400+ people). But wheelchair occupants and their families are taken into a special (short) queue, so generally get through very quickly. Don't know about the different address problem I'm afraid. Once you've collected your bags you have to go through customs and then to 2nd bag drop. You don't have do it if you don't mind going up and down the stairs a few times. It's only really a problem if it's raining because they stop the belt and nothing moves. Wheelchairs have to be taken up in a lift which can only be used by staff. But if some of you wait at the top of the stairs by the monorail, and someone stays at the bottom with the cases, you could transfer them that way up to the monorail. Having said that that would be a lot of cases and few able bodied people on the monorail. I must admit I'm not sure how far you can get assistance. We've only ever had it as far as the customs queue.
Thanks.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Diznut View Post
hi
there were 2 disabled adults and 1 child (7 people in total)in our group. we used the second bag drop as the number of hands verses suitcases just didn't work out but found no problem with this and by the time we made it to 2nd pick up they were waiting for us. All members of our party went through special immigration together even though there were 4 different addresses between us, it wasn't questioned. Assistance only goes as far as the queue then you are left to it. hope this helps a bit, the thought of it all is very daunting but in practise it is a lot easier than you ever imagine.
So the second bag drop doesn't take ages? I was led to believe it would be a long wait and that's why people don't do it.
Old 7 May 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
So the second bag drop doesn't take ages? I was led to believe it would be a long wait and that's why people don't do it.
It's quicker not to do the second bag drop but pretty impossible to do with wheelchairs. You are not allowed to take cases in the accompanied elevator that wheelchairs use. The only way is up an escalator with cases to avoid the second drop.

As a family of three adults inc one wheelchair user, we have to use the extra bag drop. If there are four of us, we don't.
Old 7 May 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by jclutton View Post
The problem with the second bag drop is that in the summer there is usually a thunderstorm/rain in the afternoon which is usually around the time the Virgin planes arrive. If there is lightening in the area or rain they stop the belt with the luggage on until it passes. It's a safety thing. I guess it depends on what time of the day your particular plane arrives.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
den-kjr
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I traveled last year myield with three children 3 cases and hand luggage each muddle child in wheelchair staff accompanied myself child in wheelchair and my littlest 4 at the time to the lift eldest 15 took one case up escalator and we took everything else in lift staff who helped was great no second bag drop and no extra wait
den-kjr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

I have some mobility but I do need a wheelchair after a long haul flight

I have always found MCO to be very good

Help with cases all the way including put them into the car in the garage
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I would check with cabin crew as to what is best plan, i would be inclined to wait and get off at end and all go through immigration together and on from there. You will all be tired. X i am sure it will be fine. X