Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 12 Jun 17, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Definitely complain although I think in reality you may not get very far. We had a similar experience previously and didn't even get an apology off the Gatwick staff (not the airlines fault as they are outsourced). My hope was that they claimed procedures were being improved but you just never know and as someone else said - if you don't complain it wont get any better! Its not the best way to end a holiday and just taints everything else.
Old 14 Jun 17, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Leec
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely going to complain thank you. Will let you know of their response. 😉
Old 18 Jun 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jclutton
Very Serious Dibber

My Downs syndrome brother had a panic attack when we were about to board the plane which meant my mum had to take him home and therefore miss the holiday, she was told by a member of airport staff (after going back through security and going to wait for a lift home from a family member) when they were alone that she would have battered my brother for making them miss their holiday and if it were her he would be getting a good hiding when they got home. Absolutely shocking attitude towards anyone let alone a mentally disabled person. As they were on their own she has no proof that this happened otherwise I would have made a complaint myself.
jclutton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 17, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Thomson arrange the assistance for you at Gatwick and it's the airline who you should take the matter up with. Gatwick Airport appoint the 'assistors' (usually an independent company) and it's not up to them to make a judgement who needs assistance or not.

I can walk a few steps OK on a good day but then I'm 'done in' and need to be helped. They need to be told that not all disabilities are obvious and it's not their duty to challenge a booking either.

I had worse at Manchester Airport last year when there were NO 'assistors' to help us when we got off our flight and no one to ask for help. I struggled to Immigration where a 'queue marshal' saw my plight and ushered me towards the disabled line. Thankfully, that saved me about 30 mins queueing time. When I later spoke to someone at the airport, their excuse was that our plane had landed early! Strange that as the in flight info had been reporting the fact for over five hours. Why didn't the 'assistors' know?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Our British Disabled Assistance could certainly learn a thing or two from the great assistance we have had with our DD the other side of the pond in Florida!
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Last year we did a boomerang originating at East Midlands - Dublin - Gatwick - Orlando and back again. Pre booked assistance at all places for DW who was recovering post surgery.

They were all brilliant apart from Gatwick. Utterly clueless. The Fawlty Towers of airport assistance. Put it down as a one off but it was identical on the return. At one point we were waiting for over half an hour to get off after everyone else had got off. they were cleaning the aircraft around us. Kept asking me if I had booked assistance to which I must have shown my email confirmation 20 times.

Not the stewardesses I must add - the Gatwick ground staff. To my shame I never wrote a letter of complaint - which for anyone who knows me is unusual.

Might have stopped other people getting rotten service. Apologies.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry to hear your story. I arrived back at Manchester from MCO last year and had booked 'special aasistance' with VA but there was no one around when I got off the plane. I can walk a bit but not very well. There were no wheelchairs or assistants to be seen and no airport staff to seek help. I had to make the walk to immigration and a 'queue marshal' saw my plight (I was really struggling at this point) and he directed me to the disabled queue. Thankfully, this was a lot shorter than the rest and I was through in no time.

Manchester Airport seems to have 'special assistance' problems also. I was well looked after on the outward journey but not on the return. Why are they allowed to treat us like this?
Old 3 Aug 17, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Aw man just caught up with this thread , we have been finding that the London airports are a nightmare with special assistance :angry: everywhere else really great. We take our daughters wheelchair as they usually have none. She can walk with her crutches for short distances but it varies so safer to take own chair.
Old 3 Aug 17, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
chapea
Getting Excited

Had similar problem at Gatwick last week they said they were really busy told me to walk to next assistance desk part this happened three times could barely walk with my stick on third occasion. Then was told to go down in lift to electric buggy and man would be doing straightaway board showed our flight was boarding and we were still standing next to buggy 20 mins later. Had to ask someone to find out what was happening. Definitely the worst experience at any of the airports I've been through
chapea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Make sure that you file complaints -

gatwickairport/contac...ack-procedure/