Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Jun 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Toll road is about 30 minutes quicker than US27 none toll
The tolls are charged by toll by plate when you pass through the sunpass lane it takes a photo of your plate and you will be charged to your credit card
Old 23 Jun 17, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JAF View Post
We normally use the US27 which is easy to get on to from the airport and is toll free we have found it does not really take that much longer than the toll road
Agreed, very little difference from our experience. If traffic is light the toll road can be faster but only if you're minded to keep up with the traffic (most people will be doing 85-90mph). US27 is always very quiet and you can just bimble along at 65-70 which is much more relaxing when you're on holiday!
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
poohsfriend
Excited about Disney

We used the US27 last year and planned in a food stop at Sebring (Denny's!) which worked well. The drive was uneventful but like all such roads seem to stretch endlessly straight into the distance (in my sons words, 'this road never ends!'). I would do the same thing again as, although we were all tired as had been up over 24 hours when we finally got to our hotel room, we didn't have to wake up to another day of travelling - the boys had a mini revolt when we told them we were getting into the car to go to the supermarket!
Old 23 Jun 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by poohsfriend View Post
We used the US27 last year and planned in a food stop at Sebring (Denny's!) which worked well. The drive was uneventful but like all such roads seem to stretch endlessly straight into the distance (in my sons words, 'this road never ends!'). I would do the same thing again as, although we were all tired as had been up over 24 hours when we finally got to our hotel room, we didn't have to wake up to another day of travelling - the boys had a mini revolt when we told them we were getting into the car to go to the supermarket!
Yeah I agree, it's a very long day but for us better to get the travel out of the way all in the one day (I appreciate some folk will prefer to stop over but not me!).

The trick is to get a flight that is scheduled to arrive at Miami as early as possible. Even I wouldn't try to do the drive same day if my flight was arriving there after about 5 as you have to allow 2-3hrs for immigration and car collection etc.

We usually just fly to MCO now but if there was a good deal on a flight that arrived at MIA before 3pm I'd consider it as a viable option.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
English Tim
Excited about Disney

My family were affected by the bank holiday weekend BA flight cancellations and re-booked on Virgin to Miami, so we had to drive there and back in a day, to collect some of them. The others changed their rental reservation from MCO to MIA, with Avis.

The Turnpike takes around 3.5 hours if driving at fairly constant 75mph. Most cars will overtake you at this speed!

Our toll charge using the automated system, cost about $36 for 15 days, which is excellent vfm and takes a lot of stress out of the equation.

During our trip we drove to Sanibel, the outbound journey on minor roads with lots of traffic lights and low speed limits, taking much longer than the return on I75, albeit 40 miles longer.

I would always recommend the faster roads and taking your Tom Tom, with live traffic info.
Old 24 Jun 17, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzyj
Helping Mickey

Thanks guys very helpful xx
Port Orleans French Quarter - August 2017,Villa at Lake Wilson - August 2015, Villa at Providence - August 2013, Beach Club Hotel - August 2011, Yacht Club Hotel - August 2009, Villa at Windwood Bay - May 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2006, Villa at Windwood Bay - April 2005, Fly Drive - July 1996
lizzyj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List