Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 21 Jun 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzyj
Helping Mickey

Miami to Orlando

Hi we land in Miami and then driving straight up to Orlando. We have done this before but previously stayed in Miami for the night and drove up the next day on the non-toll road. I am sure I read that the toll road is a lot quicker, does anyone know how much quicker it is and roughly how much it costs. Liz x
Port Orleans French Quarter - August 2017,Villa at Lake Wilson - August 2015, Villa at Providence - August 2013, Beach Club Hotel - August 2011, Yacht Club Hotel - August 2009, Villa at Windwood Bay - May 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2006, Villa at Windwood Bay - April 2005, Fly Drive - July 1996
lizzyj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
d1gger
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi, we did the tolls last year to and from Orlando/Miami - so both ways - I would certainly recommend it, think we only ended up paying around $20/$30 or so all in - so that includes all tolls (inc those in Orlando) - using the easypass system, so you just drive straight through as opposed to stopping and handing over cash.
Not done the journey without the tolls, so couldn't say how much quicker, but I would definitely use again - takes the stress out of things, knowing it should be quicker and more straightforward etc.
d1gger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
d1gger
Proud to wear my Ears

oh just to add, whilst in Miami, went down to Key Largo and then back up to Orlando - that drive took about 4.5hrs - with stop offs too - so not too long at all - plus didn't really feel that long if you know what I mean.
d1gger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzyj
Helping Mickey

How do you get the easypass, is it something the car people sell you?
Port Orleans French Quarter - August 2017,Villa at Lake Wilson - August 2015, Villa at Providence - August 2013, Beach Club Hotel - August 2011, Yacht Club Hotel - August 2009, Villa at Windwood Bay - May 2008, Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2006, Villa at Windwood Bay - April 2005, Fly Drive - July 1996
lizzyj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
d1gger
Proud to wear my Ears

I think most car hire companies have them already installed - its a device which sits on your windscreen (usually above the mirror at the top)
Old 21 Jun 17, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
skindogg
slightly serious Dibber

skindogg's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Alamo have in my exprience the best system it reads your number plate then bills you the tolls plus a small admin fee to your card a couple of weeks later. I've never found it excessive. Maybe there are posts in the car rental forum that would answer exact charges but I never find it excessive and I remember someone saying on here that Alamo have the best system for doing tolls...
Old 21 Jun 17, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We did it last year on the toll road, and used the toll road on the way back to Miami too. We used the toll roads around Orlando a few times and w did the sun pass from Avis, we got the bill a month later and it was £48, that was over an 18 day stay which I didn't think was too bad.

We drove the next day stopping at Vero Beach, took about 5 hours all in all as we stopped for an hour at Vero.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
lawsy
Excited about Disney

We drove straight up the toll road and it took us 4 hours to Sunset Lakes.
Oct 13 Calabria
lawsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

sunpass/rentalcar this page gives the details of different car hire companies policies regarding toll pass scheme.

We normally use the US27 which is easy to get on to from the airport and is toll free we have found it does not really take that much longer than the toll road
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pegasus928
slightly serious Dibber

We did this last year both ways and our bill, which came in a couple of weeks after we returned was just over £20 - way less than we had predicted using the Turnpikes own toll calculation tool.
The other thing I would mention, purely because it caught us out on the way up to Orlando, is don't rely on the service plazas if you fancy stopping for a bite mid way. They close quite early on and as I remember it we stopped at around 9pm and couldn't find any of the food places open.
pegasus928 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List