Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Nov 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mini-mum
Getting Excited

Krakow

We're off to Krakow for 3 nights for the Christmas markets and to visit some of the historic sights. For any dibbers who have already been, did you get the train from the airport or take a taxi? We are staying in the Jewish quarter. Also, did you visit the salt mines independently (using the bus) or book a trip? Any recommendations for places to eat and/or drink would be great. Also, anything we should not miss whilst there. TIA.
mini-mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

From memory I think we got a
Taxi from the airport but there was 4 of us. We went to salt
Mines on the bus. They are a must do, we loved them. The castle is also a good look around. Have a great time. I’d love to go for the Christmas markets.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Train is very simple as it’s joined onto the airport and costs approx £1.50 to Krakow glowny then you’ll be walking distance to your hotel. The train station is joined onto galleria Krakowska - go to the top floor and change your ££ at the kantor there as the rates are very good.

Our top eating place is Miod Malena (on the opposite corner from the Pandora shop) but you may need to book (the night before usually ok) if you’re going over a weekend as it’s extremely popular with locals.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Should have said, there’s loads to do. Wawel Castle, underground market, Pope John Paul museum, Schindler Factory, Auschwitz/Birkenhau is a must do along with the salt mines. Sitting in the square with a drink people watching is lovely.

There are so many eating places and we’ve only ever had one meal that wasnt great. I’ve posted our favourite in my previous reply but you won’t go far wrong with most of the restaurants.

Modiva cocktail bar is very nice and the Wodka bar just across the road is a must do . Most of the bars are downstairs or up alleys and you could easily miss them especially during the day.

I love Krakow, it’s almost magical in the winter. Have a fabulous time.
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had a fabulous trip to Krakow. Would love to go again especially to see the Christmas markets.
The main must do is Auschwitz. I would also recommend one of the walking tours. We met ours outside the Basilica and the guide has a Union Flag umbrella so you can easily find them. It is free you just pay a tip at the end.
Our friends went to the Salt Mine on the 304 bus from the main bus station. It took just less than an hour and cost all of about 5zl - £1 ! We decided not to go but wish we had as they thought it was really good- maybe next time !

We also stayed in the Jewish quarter ate around there.

Edited to say we got a taxi from the airport. We had a 7 seater which was 120 Zl ( Sunday) and 100 zl midweek. So about £20/25 each way. A standard car would be cheaper. If you are staying in the Jewish quarter it is about a 20 minute walk from the station. We thought a taxi was easier and we could leave luggage in the hotel on the day we came home and then picked the taxi up outside.

Hope you have a great trip.

Edited at 12:35 AM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

We go early December.

There’s 4 of us and will grab an Uber from the airport. We are planning to do salt mines independently but booked to do Auschwitz with a company. We also booked a walking tour and Schindler factory.

Never been and looks a great place really looking forward to it.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We got a taxi when we went last January. There were 4 of us with large suitcases and hand luggage so it just felt like an easier option. It cost 100zl which (from memory) was about £20. It was a fair drive so seemed really cheap at £5 each.
We didn’t do the Salt Mines unfortunately, we did to Auschwitz and Birkenau through a company we found there who were actually really cheap. I have their card at home somewhere so I’ll look for it for you.
That includes a return minibus to their offices, but no lunch if you decide to do any tours on a Sunday and get your own food, but it the day before. We found nowhere open early enough to pick it up on the day apart from 1 cafe where everything was pre-made so no choices.

Any other questions, pleas let me know
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mini-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

Thanks everyone for all your tips. We've booked Schindlers museum. Which walking tour did you choose smilesonfaces? Had your friends booked their tickets online for the salt mine or did they buy them on the day?
mini-mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
mini-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

[QUOTE=cheekydeeky;14165251]Should have said, there’s loads to do. Wawel Castle, underground market, Pope John Paul museum, Schindler Factory, Auschwitz/Birkenhau is a must do along with the salt mines. Sitting in the square with a drink people watching ]

Thanks. Do we need to book things beforehand or can we wait till we're there?
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mini-mum View Post
Thanks everyone for all your tips. We've booked Schindlers museum. Which walking tour did you choose smilesonfaces? Had your friends booked their tickets online for the salt mine or did they buy them on the day?
We did the Old Town tour. We had pre booked with Krakow Explorers but to be honest it wasn’t necessary to prebook. Just have a look online at the tour times. No one checked bookings people just joined in. The guide was very knowledgeable and very entertaining. Bear in mind it was a lot of walking, you are out for about 2.5 hours and people did drop out as they went along.

Our friends just paid on the door for the Salt Mine as it was a last minute decision to go. There are plenty of English speaking tours and they didn’t have to wait long.

Nearby To Schindler’s factory is Heroes Square and the Old Pharmacy. Both of these are worth going to. The Pharmacy is tiny but is crammed with information about its role helping the Jewish community.

I would certaintly book Auschwitz in advance if nothing else. I booked through Expedia with one of the £20 off codes I found online.

For taxis I downloaded the FreeNow app and received a few money off taxi codes. In the end we just walked everywhere and didn’t use them. It isn’t too big a city and one of our friends is in his 70’s and we all managed the walking fine.

Edited at 10:39 AM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List