Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Nov 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
Tipping a single dollar then I would imagine the server would of used foul language, took a poo on your table and called your mum nasty names...

Just wondering how bad it has to be to justify just a dollars tip ...
I can give you an example, in a restaurant in New York an almost empty place at that.

Sat down, ordered two drinks and asked for the menu. 20 mins later the drinks arrived. Due to that we decided to eat elsewhere, so decided to finish the drinks at our own pace and ask for the bill.

Waitress didn't come back to our table once in the 20 mins we were finishing the drinks. I had to go up to the counter where she was chatting to the Barman and ask for the Bill.

She delivered it 10 mins later and never returned to pick it up, so we left cash and the Dollar and made our feelings clear on the receipt. She even had the cheek to follow us out and ask why we hadn't tipped 15%, she soon understood why.

If my wage was directly affected by if I had had a good or a bad day, I'd ensure I had plenty of good days. People who leave 10% tips regardless of how poor the service is, just allows poor service to continue.
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Then they need to stop the charade of calling it a tip, if you are saying it is not optional extra then its a service charge, call it what it is.
Service charges go to the company tips to the person. On pre-packaged deals like the Fantasmic dining package Disney take a service charge from the Servers Tip, I think it's about $3.

It is what it is, Different culture in a different country. If you go with the mindset that you have to pay for service then you can't go wrong.
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
I can give you an example, in a restaurant in New York an almost empty place at that.

Sat down, ordered two drinks and asked for the menu. 20 mins later the drinks arrived. Due to that we decided to eat elsewhere, so decided to finish the drinks at our own pace and ask for the bill.

Waitress didn't come back to our table once in the 20 mins we were finishing the drinks. I had to go up to the counter where she was chatting to the Barman and ask for the Bill.

She delivered it 10 mins later and never returned to pick it up, so we left cash and the Dollar and made our feelings clear on the receipt. She even had the cheek to follow us out and ask why we hadn't tipped 15%, she soon understood why.

If my wage was directly affected by if I had had a good or a bad day, I'd ensure I had plenty of good days. People who leave 10% tips regardless of how poor the service is, just allows poor service to continue.
If you only got drinks then its normal to tip a couple of dollars per drink so this doesn't sound all that strange.

If you had sat there for an hour, had three courses and drinks then you would of been well out of order. But you seem to be of a British mindset. Brit abroad often doesn't come off well with the locals sadly and we all have to live with the impression you leave behind.

Edited at 07:22 PM.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Service charges go to the company tips to the person. On pre-packaged deals like the Fantasmic dining package Disney take a service charge from the Servers Tip, I think it's about $3.

It is what it is, Different culture in a different country. If you go with the mindset that you have to pay for service then you can't go wrong.
I do go with the mindset that I have to pay for the service but I refuse to be told how much to pay or to pay for poor service.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
Not once have I ever been challenged regarding the 'tip' I have left outside of Disney, and we have been going to the US for the last 16 years or so
You probably were not stiffing the server - Am not saying you will be challenged but you could be, or you could receive poor service next time.

I once Messed up a tip in the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC and the server chased me out the door asking what he had done wrong, I was mortified!

I have found being generous with tips (where appropriate) gives you a great service the next time and a welcome back.
Old 8 Nov 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
If we have the DDP we feel as if we're getting a bread service, entree, dessert and cocktail for the price of the tip - makes it seem good value when you look at it like that.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

You probably were not stiffing the server - Am not saying you will be challenged but you could be, or you could receive poor service next time.

I once Messed up a tip in the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC and the server chased me out the door asking what he had done wrong, I was mortified!

I have found being generous with tips (where appropriate) gives you a great service the next time and a welcome back.
shocked at this comment.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
shocked at this comment.
Can I ask what you are shocked about?
Old 8 Nov 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Can I ask what you are shocked about?
I presume they didn't realise a server may challenge them.

I doubt it would happen at Disney but it certainly could and does happen outside of the Disney bubble.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Well its an easy saving for a lot of Brits on holiday. Pay the bill and then run out of the door stiffing the server. Very little come back, not likely to be back for at least a year, very little consequence. Its not like visiting your local restaurant.

Obviously you leave behind an upset, underpaid server and nasty impression.