Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Nov 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

For those that went to Singapore for a week...

Any feedback please
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Er - anything specific that you wanted to ask about Singapore?

(I may not be your target population though as I live in Singapore!)
Old 16 Nov 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We went in September for the F1 for a week and then on to Bali for a week. I did a mini trip report, but let me know if there’s anything specific. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to spend more time there which we hope to achieve when we go to Australia at some point.
Old 16 Nov 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We went for almost a week after Malaysia last summer. I did a mini trippie, below.
Happy to answer any questions.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1098094
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. I remember when looking into this before quite a few people were going for a week and said they’d feed back so just wondering how they found being there for that duration. We are looking at staying at holiday inn express Clarke Quay and wondering if it’s a good area to get about from. Thanks 😊
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Thanks everyone. I remember when looking into this before quite a few people were going for a week and said they’d feed back so just wondering how they found being there for that duration. We are looking at staying at holiday inn express Clarke Quay and wondering if it’s a good area to get about from. Thanks 😊
I'm not familiar with the Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay hotel itself. Looking on Google Maps it seems to be about a 10 minute walk from 3 MRT stations (Chinatown, Clarke Quay and Fort Canning) on 2 different lines (North-East line and Downtown line), so seems fairly decent in terms of connectivity - though I'm not sure if there are any sheltered walkways between the hotel and the MRT stations. It's also a fairly central part of Singapore!

There are a couple of nearby shopping malls including one at Chinatown MRT station (Chinatown Point) that has a number of eateries and a decent supermarket (Fairprice) - I haven't been to the other nearby ones for a while so not as familiar with them. There is also a fairly large selection of food around the Chinatown/Clarke Quay area ranging from cheap hawker centres to fairly pricey restaurants...

Singapore is tiny and fairly well connected by public transport so most areas are fairly easy to get to/from. Taxis are also fairly plentiful and relatively cheap, with Grab being the rideshare option (i.e. Uber - Grab actually bought out Uber here a year or so ago and does what Uber used to do). So actually most areas should be OK to get around from!
Old 17 Nov 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Thanks Sky13 that’s really helpful

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Holiday Inn Express Clarke Quay hotel itself. Looking on Google Maps it seems to be about a 10 minute walk from 3 MRT stations (Chinatown, Clarke Quay and Fort Canning) on 2 different lines (North-East line and Downtown line), so seems fairly decent in terms of connectivity - though I'm not sure if there are any sheltered walkways between the hotel and the MRT stations. It's also a fairly central part of Singapore!

There are a couple of nearby shopping malls including one at Chinatown MRT station (Chinatown Point) that has a number of eateries and a decent supermarket (Fairprice) - I haven't been to the other nearby ones for a while so not as familiar with them. There is also a fairly large selection of food around the Chinatown/Clarke Quay area ranging from cheap hawker centres to fairly pricey restaurants...

Singapore is tiny and fairly well connected by public transport so most areas are fairly easy to get to/from. Taxis are also fairly plentiful and relatively cheap, with Grab being the rideshare option (i.e. Uber - Grab actually bought out Uber here a year or so ago and does what Uber used to do). So actually most areas should be OK to get around from!
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

With regard to the Hawker centres, do pigeons congregate in these areas whilst your eating? I have a severe phobia to them and if they were running under my chair or flapped anywhere near me, I’d run a mile. I couldn’t relax in cabana bay as they were running under the sun loungers and nesting in the cabana roofs Thanks.
Old 17 Nov 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
I think a week would be great. I didn’t get to spend as much time as I would have liked at the gardens by the bay and never got to the botanic gardens. I also would have liked to spend more time visiting the temples.
I was most disappointed by Universal. Queue times were shocking and really not many rides anyway.
The zoo was amazing. The animals looked well cared for and they didn’t have traditional enclosures. The orangutans swing above the paths.
Really enjoyed checking out the hawker food centres.
Makansutra gluttons bay is a good one to start with.
Thanks
Old 17 Nov 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
I didn’t notice any pigeons anywhere. There was a massive lizard at the satay by the bay.
Few that’s a relief