Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Nov 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Any Landlords ?

Could do with a bit of advise

We have a tenant who gave us notice and has now moved out of the property

She acknowledged that she owes us arrears... just over two months rent ... £1200

She said she would still pay the arrears but has suddenly just gone, left us with no forwarding address and now wont answer any of our texts, phone messages or emails. She hasnt even given us her keys back.

Any idea where we can go from here ?
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post

She acknowledged that she owes us arrears... just over two months rent ... £1200

She said she would still pay the arrears but has suddenly just gone, left us with no forwarding address and now wont answer any of our texts, phone messages or emails. She hasnt even given us her keys back.

Similar thing happened to us except we gave notice to quit as we wanted to sell. They hung on for eviction because then council will house, unfortunately for them the council checked and we told they owed so council didn't house. Still owes rent though, but in your case try local council.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Similar thing happened to us except we gave notice to quit as we wanted to sell. They hung on for eviction because then council will house, unfortunately for them the council checked and we told they owed so council didn't house. Still owes rent though, but in your case try local council.
I rang housing benefit yesterday and they confirmed her claim had been cancelled.

She would have started a claim for her new house but of course they wont tell me her new address

They put me through to the tenancy relations officer but they said we need to find out where she is living

Feel so cross at the minute
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I rang housing benefit yesterday and they confirmed her claim had been cancelled.

She would have started a claim for her new house but of course they wont tell me her new address

They put me through to the tenancy relations officer but they said we need to find out where she is living

Feel so cross at the minute
You have reminded me to be angry again too. X
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Do you have a deposit you can use against the arrears? Locks need to be changed between tenants anyway.

You can take he to small claims court for rent arrears but you will not get money if she has none. Maybe an order for payment over many months and then court again if she doesnt pay. Each court attendance has a cost.

I would try to find her but after a while chalk it down to a buisness expense, all buisness plans must include some void or non payment.

Sorry this has happened, being a landlord is sometimes hard.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
You have reminded me to be angry again too. X
Sorry to put a downer on your Saturday night
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Do you have a deposit you can use against the arrears? Locks need to be changed between tenants anyway.

You can take he to small claims court for rent arrears but you will not get money if she has none. Maybe an order for payment over many months and then court again if she doesnt pay. Each court attendance has a cost.

I would try to find her but after a while chalk it down to a buisness expense, all buisness plans must include some void or non payment.

Sorry this has happened, being a landlord is sometimes hard.
The arrears total was after i had taken the deposit into account

Just dont know I can go about finding her

Yes of course we can put it down to experience and it will go against our profit of course
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Do you have any guarantor details or references that you could use to try and trace... I’m afraid though you’re going to have a fight to get any money back...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Do you have any guarantor details or references that you could use to try and trace... I’m afraid though you’re going to have a fight to get any money back...
I would have to ask the letting agent who found her for us
Old 16 Nov 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
I do have the text off the company who checked her out for her new house sent my DH

It has a reference number on it

They then rang DH who told them she wasnt paying her top up money and was in quite big arrears

Was surprised that they actually recommended that she could have her new house

I might email them on Monday if we havent heard from her and include a screenshot of the text message with the reference number on it

Not sure they will tell us anything though

Edited at 10:01 PM.