Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Arrow The Magnificent Seven - April 2018 - Day 17 - Hollywood Studios & Jiko

Day 16 is here

Monday the 23rd of April

After a lovely relaxing weekend it was time to go back and get a proper Disney fix! I was ready for some rollercoaster action and some park time! No 04.00 alarm call this morning from Abi so we all had a good sleep until about 09.00 (Rach – 9am? In Orlando? You're doing it wrong! ). Dad was already up as usual. The park of choice was Hollywood studios. I really love it here. The only bug bear is not a great choice of places to eat, but this doesn’t really affect us that much because we rarely eat in the parks apart from the odd snack or drink.

Dad’s choice for breakfast this morning and he chose his favourite…….. IHOP. Good choice Dad! We went to the one just up the road from the villa. We arrived about 10.00 and we had to wait a wee while before getting a table.

Abi proudly held the buzzer until it went off.

To Dad and Paul’s immense disappointment we didn’t get our friend Jason from last time! We got a lovely server, but the service at this particular IHOP was really really slow. I forgot to mention last night that Abigail was now the proud owner of a blue plastic shark courtesy of the staff from Joe’s Crabshack! She totally loved him and he made it on the outing to breakfast!

It’s always a tough choice deciding what to have for breakfast here because there is so much to choose from and you always feel like you should really have pancakes!

Dad has his usual of the breakfast sampler

Paul had the corned beef hash.

Abi had a treat breakfast of Nutella French toast with eggs

I had a cheese and egg toasted sandwich.

Abi’s shark had drink of apple juice……..

There were also some fancy drinks for me and Dad this morning – an orange fruity thing for Dad and a lemon and mango for me. Think they were called Splashers. They were really refreshing and a fine change!

Breakfast receipt…

It was now time to head to the park! Yay! We parked and were on the tram at 11.45.

We headed to the entrance where Dad reluctantly posed for a picture and then through the bag check which didn’t take too long and finally we were in the park!

Abi was chuffed because the security guard at the bag check gave her a sticker. Take her halfway across the world and she’s happy with a sticker……..

We saw the storm troopers marching and then veered off towards tower of terror and got side tracked by a street version of blind date! It was actually quite funny!

We got some Photo Pass pics on the way to RNRC.

It was time for RNRC for Paul and I. Dad wimped out!

Abi and Dad chilled out on the benches while they waited for us. I love this ride soooo much! I can’t help but scream! Lol!

We had some time to kill before out TOT FastPass and since it wasn’t too busy we let Abi stretch her legs and have a wee run around. I didn’t like letting her loose when there was huge crowds of people because I didn’t want her to trip up some poor soul who wasn’t looking because they are munching on a turkey leg! It is a pet hate of mine when parents let their kids run around and just sit there while they get in the way. Yes, I know its Disney and the children should be having fun but they shouldn’t be maniacs to other folk! I sound about 90! Lol!

After some running about, poking at things on the ground and a giant wotsit, it was time for TOT.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this ride. I could literally go on it all day long. We had booked 3 FP but with child swap I was able to ride with Dad and then Paul. Bonus for me. This is one ride that Dad always does. He loves it as well and I don’t think he has ever refused a ride on it even though he pretends he isn’t that bothered!

It wasn’t really busy today but it was good to be able to stroll straight on. I left my phone in the pram so no spooky TOT pics. I do love the theming – it is awesome. If I was a ride operator this is the ride I would want to work on.

As you can see by the ride pics, Dad loved it! Was now Paul’s turn to ride and he enjoyed it as well.

Dad & Abi met us in the gift shop and then we headed outside and Abi had a big drink and tried to have a joy ride on an electric scooter!

We then wondered over towards the Chinese theatre and caught the last few mins of a star wars show. We weren’t really sure what was going on but it was good so we stopped and watched it. We saw BB8 who is super cute. Chewy was walking right past us but I was a bit slow with my phone so only managed to catch his back. Ooops.

[continued in next post]

Edited at 08:49 AM.
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903

Redrach1903's Reviews
[continued from previous post]

It was about 13.45 by now and it was really hot. We passed a cart selling those frozen minute maid slushy things so we stopped for one and a chill out on a bench. I think the frozen thing is like a sorbet. It was really refreshing. Abi loved it and kept sticking her tongue in it. I can’t remember if the boys had one or just had some water! I am a huge sorbet/ice cream fan and could eat it any time but when the boys are hot they just wanted cold water! Boring! Lol!

As we were sitting there soaking up the atmosphere the army men from Toy Story marched passed so we went to see what they were up to. It was so good. They were putting on a little show and had pulled kids up from the surrounding audience and were doing marching and other things.

Abi was so taken by them she started marching on the spot. It was so funny. I really love this video.

Not long after she made a run for it and went over to the army men and Dad went chasing after her. You can see in the pics she is very pleased with herself and her bid for freedom!

We watched the whole show which was really good. It had started to get a bit dull but it was still super hot. We thought it might rain but it was holding off so far. We had a fastpass booked for the Disney show for Abi – I can’t remember the name of it – Rach will tell me! (Rach – Disney Junior?).

Before we got in Dad needed to the loo and we parked the pram in the monster “stroller park”. It really is a battle sometimes to get a space and make sure all your stuff is safe but I totally understand why they do it. We had a few minutes to spare before they closed the doors and Dad still wasn’t back from the loo! We made it with about 1min to spare!

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from the show – Abi doesn’t really know any of the TV characters but she does have a few character teddies so she was pleased when she saw one she recognised. It was only about 20mins long! It was quite good, but Abi lost interest after about 15mins and started to play around which was fine. The seating was just on the floor which was totally uncomfortable for Dad so he ended up standing the last 10mins of the show. There were bubbles at the end which pleased Abigail. All in all I would say it is worth it if you have young kids but 20mins can be quite a long time. I have just read it is closed and it is being revamped so on our next trip we might do it again if Abi isn’t like 15!

Since we were beside the star wars theatre bit Dad said he would take Abi for a walk so Paul could watch one of the short movies. It looked like it was away to rain so we told Dad there were ponchos under the pram and we hoped it didn’t rain. We headed in and there was about a 5min wait until the next show. It was about the new star wars bit Galaxy’s edge. There was a bit you could queue to meet characters but they were quite large and Paul isn’t really into the whole character interaction thing unless Abi was with us! It was an interesting film and Paul seemed quite excited about the new theming coming.

When we headed out to meet Dad we could see it had been totally chucking it down! At least they had ponchos…….. or so I thought. So, when the rain came on Dad had whipped a poncho out and tried to wrestle one on and he could hardly get it on! It was short everywhere and barely covered anything! Turned out I had accidently bought child sized ones which I hadn't noticed when we put one on Abi the other day as all sizes would drown her! We did have a huge laugh as the way Dad told the story was really funny so he ended up taking it off and getting wet! Lol. Luckily it didn’t rain for long and it was now about 15.30 and we decided to head as we had a very exciting reservation for Jiko tonight. Dad had very kindly offered to babysit for us so we took the chance as we go out very rarely just the two of us so it would make a nice change. We went here when we were in Orlando for Rach and Chris’s wedding and we LOVED it so we hoped it was going to be as good again.

Walking towards the entrance we saw Donald and Daisy duck doing a meet and greet and the queue was really short so we thought we would take Abi up for some pics. It was a really good interaction and we got heaps of photos. Abi was loving them and gave kisses and hugs to them both. It was nice that we got to see them both individually and then pics together. Glad we went up for the pics.

The dress Abi is wearing today I just love! It's Mrs Potts and Rach bought it for her. It still fits her now and Abi loves it as well.

Back on the tram and back to the car and home to the villa. Abi went down for a nap and so did the grown ups!

Dad and Abi were going to have tea in the villa so once I was ready and organised I nipped to Applebees up the road and got “kerbside” for Dad and made up a picnic plate for Abi with Tuna mayo, cheese, fruit and crisps. She also helped herself to some of Grandad’s chips. There was ice cream in the freezer for pudding. Lol. Dad said his burger was delicious. Abi was going to have a ball with Grandad tonight. My Dad is so good with Abigail and looks after her while we work. He does so much with her. Abigail is very much a Grandad’s girl!

We ordered an uber about 19.30 and went to wait outside for it.

It was such a lovely evening and I was really looking forward to our meal and a few cocktails. Last time we were here I ordered a very strong cocktail that had apple in it – can’t remember the name and I was feeling tipsy before tea! Ooops! I used to be able to hold my drink and was known for my very varied drinks through the night ranging from Vodka to Baileys to Tia Maria and any shot I could get my hands on but now? Too old! I knew I wasn’t going to be ordering that again!

Paul was in charge of the pic of the AK lodge sign out the taxi and he did not a bad job. If I ask him to take pics he usually does not a bad job but doesn’t take pics much as that’s my job so on occasion they can be a bit varied! Lol.

Our reservation was for 20.30 so we had some time to look about. I love the theming in this hotel and one day I will stay here in a fabulous room and have a giraffe come say hello in the morning.

There was a man carving some wood in the reception and it looked amazing.

We then headed into the gift shop as last time there was some really interesting things.

I had to try on some very fetching ears before we headed outside……..

We saw a small print that we wanted to buy for Abi but we decided to get it after tea.

I love how you can just wander outside and see all the animals so that’s what we did. We got some pics and then went to Jiko! I was hungry and excited! Lol.

[continued in next post]
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903

Redrach1903's Reviews
[continued from previous post]

Like last time our table wasn’t ready so we did what any reasonable person would do and head to the bar for a zebratini……. Yum. They are so good.

We were on the bar stools for the first 10mins which I hate as being of the short variety they are a pain to get up and down off of. We soon got a table more suitable for my height and finished our drinks and ordered another drink. This time we went for taste of Africa I think it was called – it was fruity and the main reason for ordering (well for me anyway) was a glow cube! The cocktail was actually delicious.

Just as we got our drinks our table was ready and we were led to our table. The tables are quite close together but it wasn’t overly busy now since it was later. The servers here are excellent and we really liked our server as she was pleasant, polite and attentive without being over every 5mins which I hate.

We get some warm bread and spicy butter to begin with- it is really delicious.

The menu has loads of things we both like but I knew I wanted the breads and dips to start which is called taste of Africa! It’s actually large enough to share which is in Paul’s favour as it means he gets to share. Paul went for the grilled wild boar tenderloin.

The starter was soooo good. Enjoyed every bite. The atmosphere in the restaurant was really chilled and it was so nice to chill out and have a few drinks as well. There was a Dad and son at the table one over from us and I swear they barely spoke the whole meal. The boy was maybe about 8 and I just thought, I am sure there were better places to take him for tea than here! I know they have a kids menu and I am sure he enjoyed his food but it was such a waste of a fab meal if you don’t even talk! Anyway, on to the main courses!

Paul had the Moroccan style lamb tagine and I had the maize crusted tile fish. I have never even heard of a tile fish. I had to ask the server what it was like and she told me it was a mild flaky white fish, a bit like halibut. She was right. The tomato butter sauce that came with it was amazing. I could quite easily drink a whole bucket – I love sauces. Paul said his lamb was super tender and tasted delicious. Paul ordered some nice red wine to come with his food. I don’t drink wine at all so stuck with my cocktails.

I like how the portions here are normal sized so you can actually enjoy 3 courses without needing to have a doggy bag and take half your main and pudding home!

Paul had the Kilimanjaro which was a chocolate mousse pudding and I had the spiced peanut butter mousse. Again, both delicious. We were seriously full after all that food and just sat back and chilled out. We were able to squeeze in one more drink so Paul ordered another wine and I asked for either a sloe gin or a raspberry gin. They didn’t have either so I had a Chambord and lemonade, well sprite! It was a nice way to finish off a delicious meal. Paul also had an espresso. Yuk! Lol.

We got the bill and it was $189.24. It’s a lot for a meal for two but in our opinion totally worth the money. We would go back any day. I have nothing but compliments for this restaurant. We left a generous tip as we had been well looked after. I haven’t mentioned tipping much in the TR but we always tip when dining out and tend to leave at least 15%. I know there are varying opinions on this subject but we do tip and will tip over the odds for excellent service which this was.

We waddled over to the gift shop to buy the safari print for Abi. We also took the glow cubes as I knew she would like them. We took them home to Scotland and she played with them every day in the bath until the batteries ran out. Now she says we have to go back to Florida for new ones!

We ordered an Uber and headed back to the villa. I love how the villa had a code so we didn’t need to worry about who has keys. Dad was sound asleep with the monitor in his room so I crept in and grabbed it and he didn’t even stir. Abi must have worn him out! Hahaha.

Another fabulous day in the land of theme parks and food. Join us tomorrow for Golf, Magic Kingdom and the milkshake saga! Its here

Thanks for reading!

Edited at 08:48 AM.
Old 23 Nov 18, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

What a lovely day, shame about the ponchos though! Your dinner sounds delicious.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
What a lovely day, shame about the ponchos though! Your dinner sounds delicious.
It was a fab day and the food at Jiko's is so delicious! Lots of different things to try!

Thanks for reading

Em
xxxx
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Lovely day and photos
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

What a fab day with such amazing food! I haven’t seen much about Jiko but wow it looked fab! So lovely you got to have a night just the two of you as well

Haha I would have loved to have seen your dad trying to wriggle into a child’s poncho, bless him!

The photos with Donald and Daisy are brilliant, how great to have an interaction with both of them at the same time!

An all round super day, loved it!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Some great cocktails 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 18, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a brilliant day. Your meal and cocktails sound so amazing. Lovely of your dad to babysit