Excited about Disney

James&Gemma's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 85
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What to do onboard DCL for autistic 5 yr old

Hey, we are looking at possibly booking the DCL staycation for this year but had a couple of concerns due to not being able to leave the ship.
Myself and my husband have done a cruise before we had our little boy so we know what is onboard but we don't know if it will be the right type of holiday for us now!?

We wouldn't be able to leave our 5 year old at any of the clubs by himself as he really struggles with his speech and understanding.
He's very social-able and loves Disney so will love the surroundings but he's just not capable of having a conversation or verbalising his needs.
Our concerns are is there going to be enough for us to do as a family onboard for 2 full days?
He gets bored quickly so constantly needs to be stimulated and we're unsure whether we can use the pool as he's still in nappies?
Thanks
Nov 17 - Xander's 1st trip to see his pal - SLGF DLP Nov 14 - James 30th - Efteling, DLS Disneyland Hotel Sep 13 - Honeymoon - HRH, Disney Cruise, WDW PR Jan 13 - Japan - Tokyo Disney Resort Sep 12 - Gemma's 30th - DLP SL Nov 11 - Drive from San Fran to LA, Disneyland
Jan 10 - Our 1st holiday together - WDW
James&Gemma is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sophie1405
Imagineer

From looking online they have shows on but you must book these before you board the boat. They also said that they have some entertainment on but from a distance. Is he able to fit into swim nappies?

Have you also seen you need to be fully vaccinated before getting on the boat and also anyone under 18 needs a PCR test (which you have to pay for through a company disney provides). Also masks must be worn whilst on the boat also.

on here tells you some of the things that are provided: disneycruise.disney.go/c...gclsrc= aw.ds

x

Can't stay away <3
sophie1405 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 21, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So the main pool is not accessible unless potty trained unfortunately so this would be out. There is a small pool and splash zone however he's be able to use.

In terms of the staycations I really don't think anyone is going to be able to know really what is going to be on offer. I'm sure there will be lots of activities but what they are it just isn't clear.
Old 2 May 21, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
chapea
Getting Excited

Hi just another thought as everyone is different. We booked a disney cruise albeit 18 months ahead when our 2 youngest were 5 and 6 at travel date. My daughter was high functioning autistic and liked to be close to an adult.

During the intervening period she started running off given half a chance. One night on the cruise she asked me to take her to the toilet. It was packed and I stood outside the cubicle. She came out and someone pushed between us and she took off

Q panic and cruise staff searching the ship with us. Took half an hour when we got a message they had her on the walky talk equipment that they gave u if you had kids in any club at any time.

We went with staff and she wasn’t at the club after another panic it turned out they had took her to another club for older kids as she always looked older and was very tall

The worst half hour of my life as had visions of her getting to one of the decks with a rail and climbing up.
chapea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 21, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
James&Gemma
Excited about Disney

James&Gemma's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 85
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks for the suggestions.

Im a little worried about it to be honest so I'm kinda thinking its not the best holiday for us while he is still young.
He loves theme parks so when were allowed to travel we might do a quick little trip to DLP instead to get our Disney fix.

Thanks
Nov 17 - Xander's 1st trip to see his pal - SLGF DLP Nov 14 - James 30th - Efteling, DLS Disneyland Hotel Sep 13 - Honeymoon - HRH, Disney Cruise, WDW PR Jan 13 - Japan - Tokyo Disney Resort Sep 12 - Gemma's 30th - DLP SL Nov 11 - Drive from San Fran to LA, Disneyland
Jan 10 - Our 1st holiday together - WDW
James&Gemma is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List