Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 29 Jul 21, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 14: Nevis Range gondola and on to Inverness

This morning the plan was to drive to the Glenfinnan viaduct to see the Jacobite steam train passing over it. We had ridden the normal train over it yesterday and got a pretty good view, plus the weather was forecast to be tipping it down with rain, so we decided to give it a miss and have a much needed lie in and lazy morning 😂

We checked out of the Travelodge in Fort William at 12 and got some hot rolls from the Hot Roast company which was on the high street opposite the hotel.
We all had turkey with stuffing and cranberry - absolutely delicious and good value for money.

We walked along the high street and browsed in some of the shops. It was so busy though and really touristy, I wasn’t keen. Picked up some stamps for postcards and some travel sickness tablets and we got in the car to drive to the Nevis Range gondola.

I had prebooked tickets a few weeks back, but there was no time slot, you could turn up when you wanted and scan your tickets to enter the gondola.

It was only about 15 minutes drive away, and again the scenery was beautiful.
We managed to park easily and went straight into the gondola by scanning our QR codes.
The Nevis gondola is an impressive bit of technology and takes you 650m up the side of Aonoch Mor, one of the mountains next to Ben Nevis.it cost £64.50 for the 6 of us and dogs travel free.
It was a very cloudy and overcast day, although not raining, so we knew we weren’t going to see much!
The gondola is continuously moving so you board it when the doors open as it is moving, which is a bit daunting!

The gondola does a big swing as it sets off, which surprised us all as it feels very unsteady unlike a bigger cable car! Sonny and Amber were really nervous.
The gondolas are quite small, and fit 6 comfortably, so was just right for us.

We had lovely views as we went up and it everyone was waving as they passed each other. Near the top we hit the cloud and it was completely white, and we couldn’t see a thing around us - it was quite surreal!

The ride took about 10 minutes and we got off at the top when the doors opened. We went outside to be met with a wall
of white cloud in every direction! It was really cold and windy and quite an experience, the kids loved it. We took a 3 mile walk at the top of the mountain - following a path that went over a few waterfalls.

We had a coffee in the cafe at the top of the mountain and then took the gondola back down. It had been really fun despite the lack of views at the top - I think it actually made it more exciting for the kids!

We got back in the car and drove to Inverness - another really scenic journey that took us along the north shore of Loch Ness - we didn’t spot any monsters unfortunately!

Tomorrow we are off to John O’Groats to complete our LE2JOG mission!

Edited at 12:33 AM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
That gondola looks cool. Even I the fog. I’m always nervous in those sorts of things where they don’t stop!

How exciting it will be to make it to John o groats. It’s going to be a holiday you don’t ever forget.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Great that you don’t let the bad weather bother you.

Years ago we drove to see Ben Nevis and sat in the car at the bottom. Couldn’t see a thing as the mist was right down to the bottom.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Never done the Nevis Range but it's going on the list I'm sure the cloud added to the journey.

Some lovely views of Loch Ness

I can't believe the miles you have done and you all look so happy still
Old 1 Aug 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I haven’t been to Fort William, but felt the same re Pitlochry. I want to love it, but it’s expensive, touristy, and so busy. I much prefer smaller Aberfeldy half an hour away.
I just visit Port William at some point, but I can adjust my expectations now xx
Old 2 Aug 21, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Another amazing day. I personally would not step anywhere near the gondola. I have never been afraid of heights but the older I get the more fear I am getting. A few years back, we were on the cable car going up to the top of The Great Orme, I panicked so much my husband thought i was going to jump. After lunch, the family got the cable car back down but hubby waited with me to get the tram, as I positively would not get back in the cable car.
Old 5 Aug 21, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

What a fab experience not sure I could cope with stepping into the gondola although I would enjoy it once I was inside.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List