Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Aug 21, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Learning A Bit Of Japanese

Hi

I have a few issues with trying to learn a foreign language:
  • Am bone idle
  • Am scared of sounding like the French policeman from 'Allo 'Allo

I would like to try and learn the basics and was wondering if folks who had learnt some Japanese, had used a particular way that might work for me.

I have a 30 min drive in each direction for work each day.

Is there an app for iPhone that makes you speak phrases, listens to how you say them and corrects - that I could use in the car on the drive each day?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

lingodeer. thats what i used. 5 min chunks taken at a slow pace.

my attitude to learning languages is to be understood not to pass an exam.

so a bunch of watashi wa sukoshi dake nihongo o hana≈≈≈≈e will go a long way.

Edited at 08:57 PM.
kk20 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks! Will look into it.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
My DS has been teaching himself Japanese, he's focusing more on the reading and writing side but uses this for speech, not sure if there's an app

michelthomas/learn-japanese/

TinkTatoo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
My DS has been teaching himself Japanese, he's focusing more on the reading and writing side but uses this for speech, not sure if there's an app

michelthomas/learn-japanese/
Michel Thomas tapes are excellent for most languages I would think, I've used them for Italian And French. I got his tapes from the library.
If you are prepared to put in the effort you will get results. Good luck
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I don’t want to put you off but I don’t think you need to learn too much. I could say the basic thank you, excuse me, hello, etc. and on top of that ask how much in a shop and where is the toilet/station. I found when I spoke Japanese they understood me too well and answered back in Japanese! I also learnt to say I don’t understand.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I had my first lesson in the Japan Shop in Epcot, whilst doing a face time call to DS the lovely cast member took the phone and said to DS

‘Konnichiwa’ with the most gorgeous smile

She was in full dress and DS has never forgotten to this day.

Disney332
Old 4 Aug 21, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks for all the replies and useful info - but am looking to be able to speak a few basic phrases to say please / thank you and ask a question or two - nothing too heavy that means I could end up sounds like the police guy from 'Allo 'Allo!
Old 4 Aug 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Thanks for all the replies and useful info - but am looking to be able to speak a few basic phrases to say please / thank you and ask a question or two - nothing too heavy that means I could end up sounds like the police guy from 'Allo 'Allo!
Just get the Michel Thomas tapes then, if they do Japanese, his method teaches you basics very quickly or try Duolingo.
I know the basics, couldn't hold a conversation basics, but learnt them from a Japanese colleague many years ago, still comes in handy at WDW, but don't forget to head bow when you first 'engage' I love it when they giggle and reply - I don't care if I sound like the allo allo policeman its the effort that's appreciated.
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

the only bad part of duolingo is that you must be able to read/write japanese to pass each section. I had no intention of reading or writing as that is not my forte. I can liaten and say though.

OH had a go with duolingo. It was still left to me in parts of Kyoto where some cafes spoke no English! we also went to a small mall near the government building where the restaurants had no english, i managed ok for a no smoking table, yea a 20 min wait is ok, drinks and "this please".
kk20 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List