Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Sep 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Perhaps we could let all the young men who are economic migrants (and the genuine asylum seekers) who are arriving here by the thousands weekly in rubber dinghies
If we are not planning on sending them home or back to France then we should offer them paid work.
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Perhaps (like here in Cornwall) where many jobs are advertised at minimum wage, minimum wage will no longer attract any applicants and employers will need to think again, raising the offer to a rate that will be attractive..
Would really hope so when many business owners have a very good living but want to pay staff the minimum they can...
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

I find this all very interesting

My daughter is on gap year so has been looking for a job and applying for loads every day

She already works at the Coop every Sunday and has done for the last 2 years and they pay well above the minimum wage

My daughter has been offered jobs in clothes shops, chocolate shop, and a toy shop all on minimum wage, as they were all in town it wasn’t worth it after paying the bus fare every day as most were offering 25 hours over 5 days, so 5 hour shifts , also I lot of these shops shut at 8pm which is not very appealing

She has settled on a job at a local coffee shop paying just above minimum wage, she gets proper Barista training at headquarters and it shuts every day at 6pm, it is also very social with other youngsters working there

She was shocked at the wage everywhere though, she didn’t realise she had it so good at the Coop
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Would really hope so when many business owners have a very good living but want to pay staff the minimum they can...
I used to work for someone who begrudged every penny she had to pay her staff and made it very clear to us.
She often said she couldn’t understand why she couldn’t keep staff for long 🙄
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
If we are not planning on sending them home or back to France then we should offer them paid work.
I agree that we could offer them ‘paid’ work which could then go towards the enormous cost of keeping them until their application has been agreed or otherwise which can often take years to process.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Perhaps we could let all the young men who are economic migrants (and the genuine asylum seekers) who are arriving here by the thousands weekly in rubber dinghies to help fill the vacancies to give something back to the UK for the generosity of tax payers, putting them in nice hotels, feeding them, clothing them, giving them money and healthcare.
Don't get me started on that one MH 🙄
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
I used to work for someone who begrudged every penny she had to pay her staff and made it very clear to us.
She often said she couldn’t understand why she couldn’t keep staff for long 🙄
OMG
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

Is it worth contacting the University as they go back / start in the next few weeks? Loads of students needing jobs ...
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 21, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I agree that we could offer them ‘paid’ work which could then go towards the enormous cost of keeping them until their application has been agreed or otherwise which can often take years to process.
I heard that a care company wanted to employ and train 500 Afghans to be care workers to fill their shortfall.
Not sure if they have been allowed to do this though

Those people who continue to chose not to work should not get benefits as there are so many jobs.
It riles me that some people get more money on benefits than if they work.
Employers need to raise salaries in some areas
Old 7 Sep 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Yet we have 1.84 Million people listed as unemployed, these are people who are not working but available and allegedly wanting to work. ons.gov.uk/employmentand...theuk/july2021
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List