Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26 May 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
#11
Leanne1977
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Jan 05

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We are about to start our visits too. We have Sussex first in a couple of weeks, followed by Royal Holloway the week after. Then we are doing an overnight for Hull and Loughborough. Kent will be a day trip and we are just waiting for Southampton to open up their open day bookings. DS wants to study physics and is doing well in that at the moment but struggling a bit with his Maths A-level. He is doing very well in biology at the moment with his latest test being 1 mark off of an A. So that could be a fall back for him if he doesnít get the required maths grade to study pure physics.
But I definitely think he underestimated the amount of work involved in the subjects he chose to study. He enjoys them all but itís a hard slog.
__________________

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
#12
WhereIBelong
Imagineer
 
WhereIBelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15
We are also going to Exeter next weekend and have Birmingham to come (plus Nottingham - her favourite - and Leicester) in June and maybe Lancaster and Sussex in September - but they are "if I don't like..."

She wants to study English with the view of teaching English as a foreign language abroad... IN KOREA!

(Basically wants to go as far away as possible from us oldies - as kids are wont to do)
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
#13
Stardust5
Imagineer
 
Stardust5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 13

Stardust5's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We have 3 visits booked, Nottingham, Southampton and UEA (Norwich). DS would like to study History ideally modern history. Itís all new to DH and me as DS is our eldest and we never went to Uni. Any tips would be very gratefully received.
Stardust5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
#14
DisneyDaffodil
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
DisneyDaffodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We are also going to Exeter next weekend and have Birmingham to come (plus Nottingham - her favourite - and Leicester) in June and maybe Lancaster and Sussex in September - but they are "if I don't like..."

She wants to study English with the view of teaching English as a foreign language abroad... IN KOREA!

(Basically wants to go as far away as possible from us oldies - as kids are wont to do)
May see you at Exeter or Birmingham then, we can compare notes 😀

Regarding teaching English in Korea, my eldest son taught there for 18 months, and now teaches in Vietnam. So, if you need any advice or reassurance ask away. He loves it, has met lots of new friends and has a great standard of living. His wages are not high by UK standards but the cost of living in these countries are so low, he has a comfortable lifestyle living in a beautiful 3 bedroomed apartment which he shares with a mate with a communal pool. He travels around Asia lots for his holidays, so has seen many different places.

He did work in the UK for a few years as a manager in the education sector which I feel prepared him for work before he made the step of moving. I would advise a bit of work experience after uni to prepare someone but apart from that, I would say it is a good choice (although we miss him lots). Incidentally, he says he feels far safer in Asia than he did on a night out in any UK city, crime rate is very low there and he says people are very friendly and helpful
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
#15
DisneyDaffodil
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
DisneyDaffodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
We are about to start our visits too. We have Sussex first in a couple of weeks, followed by Royal Holloway the week after. Then we are doing an overnight for Hull and Loughborough. Kent will be a day trip and we are just waiting for Southampton to open up their open day bookings. DS wants to study physics and is doing well in that at the moment but struggling a bit with his Maths A-level. He is doing very well in biology at the moment with his latest test being 1 mark off of an A. So that could be a fall back for him if he doesnít get the required maths grade to study pure physics.
But I definitely think he underestimated the amount of work involved in the subjects he chose to study. He enjoys them all but itís a hard slog.
Wow, he has picked very difficult, but worthwhile, subjects. I do hope it all works out for him. My eldest son studied at Southampton, he enjoyed his time there. It is a very big city with lots to do. My DD has considered it but I feel she felt it was a bit too big a city for her, plus she wasn't so keen on the Biology modules there. Don't forget to report back and let us know how the uni visits go 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
#16
DisneyDaffodil
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
DisneyDaffodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by Stardust5 View Post
We have 3 visits booked, Nottingham, Southampton and UEA (Norwich). DS would like to study History ideally modern history. Itís all new to DH and me as DS is our eldest and we never went to Uni. Any tips would be very gratefully received.
Our middle child studied History. I would advise your son to check out each course available and the modules for each uni thoroughly. History is such a big subject, the courses vary so much so it's important to choose one that really interests him. Our son did one at Swansea uni that covered a lot of modern History which he was also more interested in.

Let us know how the visits go for you. I will do the same after our first visit to Exeter next weekend 😊. Good luck
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
#17
WhereIBelong
Imagineer
 
WhereIBelong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
May see you at Exeter or Birmingham then, we can compare notes 😀

Regarding teaching English in Korea, my eldest son taught there for 18 months, and now teaches in Vietnam. So, if you need any advice or reassurance ask away. He loves it, has met lots of new friends and has a great standard of living. His wages are not high by UK standards but the cost of living in these countries are so low, he has a comfortable lifestyle living in a beautiful 3 bedroomed apartment which he shares with a mate with a communal pool. He travels around Asia lots for his holidays, so has seen many different places.

He did work in the UK for a few years as a manager in the education sector which I feel prepared him for work before he made the step of moving. I would advise a bit of work experience after uni to prepare someone but apart from that, I would say it is a good choice (although we miss him lots). Incidentally, he says he feels far safer in Asia than he did on a night out in any UK city, crime rate is very low there and he says people are very friendly and helpful
Oh wow - thank you for that - a bit reassuring that someone else is actually doing what she wants for her future. I may be back to seek advice at some point - thank you for the offer. Love the Dibb community!
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
#18
DisneyDaffodil
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
DisneyDaffodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Our college has set up a compulsory visit to one of four unis next week which Iím glad about , so heís picked York as itís close and has the better course than the others. Iím still not sure uni is the way forward for mine so hopefully this will give him some idea. He hasnít wanted to do visits so far so we havenít pushed him as I feel too many kids get pushed into the uni route when really they just donít want to be there at all. I know far too many kids who have dropped out and now they have to pay from day 1 end up with debt they could do without . Lots of thinking for us over summer. So many big decisions. X
I agree, colleges do push towards universities and it isn't always the right choice for every child. Some very clever people with wonderful careers did not attend university.

It is so difficult to have to make such major decisions at such young ages. I do hope the visit helps your son with his decision 😊
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
#19
PumpkinKitty
Imagineer
 
PumpkinKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 14
Location: Hertfordshire
Ds has already visited the ones heís interested in (and picked one- Exeter)
I didnít realise it was still going on now
PumpkinKitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
#20
DisneyDaffodil
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
DisneyDaffodil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by PumpkinKitty View Post
Ds has already visited the ones heís interested in (and picked one- Exeter)
I didnít realise it was still going on now
Our DD is looking for Sept 2019 start so only just started the whole open days for this intake. Exeter is her favourite on paper, but this may change after the visits 😀. It is a very good uni though. Good luck to your son with his choice there
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Mickey
On 22nd October 4:51pm
Guests can now start their magical adventure before their visit with their very own personalised... Read More »
Posted in Water Park
On 19th October 8:31am
An exhilarating new water slide experience, Reef Plunge, is coming to Aquatica in Orlando just... Read More »
Posted in MagicBand+
On 30th September 3:21pm
As part of the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort, Disney will be debuting... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X