Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Sep 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

O flew back to HK on Wednesday and is now in a three week strict quarantine. He won’t see anyone except the person who comes to stick a stick up his nose every week😢

His lectures have started (f2f but also recorded for the students like my son who are quarantined)

He is on a 4 course so it isn’t his final year! Here’s hoping for some normality for all our kids!
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Good to hear the updates from everyone. I hope you have all had a good summer

Georgia also returns on the 20th, although actual teaching starts the week later. She’s heard that there will be in-person lectures this year, which is fantastic news after the disruption of the past two years.

I can’t believe they are starting their final year, it’s gone so quickly and they have faced far too many challenges and had to cope with so much that they couldn’t have imagined dealing with when they set out on this journey. I’m so proud of how Georgia, and so many other students, have dealt with the last few years. I really hope their last year goes more smoothly for them.

Georgia is looking at a few masters degrees as she feels she would like to pursue this too, and also feels they missed out on so much so this would give her another year of university life which, despite the problems, she has really enjoyed. She’s not 100% sure yet but is still considering all options.

Good luck to everyone for year three. I look forward to sharing their adventures together 😄
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 21, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

How is everyone feeling about their children returning for their final year now it’s getting closer? Or now some have actually returned?

Georgia is going back next weekend and I know she’s really looking forward to having face to face lectures again and more freedom to go out with her friends.

I’m starting to get a feeling of sadness after having her home so long through the summer, and also knowing that this could be the very last long holiday home with us as who knows what they will all be doing this time next year 🤷
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

DD has now had her timetable for the first two weeks. She has three sessions on campus and the rest are on-line.

She then has her final teaching placement which lasts into January. We’re just keeping our fingers crossed that she gets a reasonably local school especially with the winter coming with dark mornings and evenings.

I can’t believe this is her last year - it’s strange to think that this time next year, hopefully she’ll have her own class. She is worried though as one of her tutors told her that a huge percentage of newly qualified teachers end up doing supply work. She doesn’t mind this but is concerned as she will still be monitored during her first year of teaching and thinks this will be more difficult as a supply teacher.

Good luck to everyone for Year 3.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Magic Mouse View Post
DD has now had her timetable for the first two weeks. She has three sessions on campus and the rest are on-line.

She then has her final teaching placement which lasts into January. We’re just keeping our fingers crossed that she gets a reasonably local school especially with the winter coming with dark mornings and evenings.

I can’t believe this is her last year - it’s strange to think that this time next year, hopefully she’ll have her own class. She is worried though as one of her tutors told her that a huge percentage of newly qualified teachers end up doing supply work. She doesn’t mind this but is concerned as she will still be monitored during her first year of teaching and thinks this will be more difficult as a supply teacher.

Good luck to everyone for Year 3.
Good that some sessions are in person for your DD, although it’s a shame they all aren’t face to face. At least it’s only for 2 weeks until her placement

I do hope she gets a local school. 🤞 for a good opportunity coming her way for when she qualifies too. I’m hope they will take the lack of availability of places and that she was working as a supply teacher into consideration for her monitoring as they are aware of the issues due to the pandemic.

It seems crazy to think that our children could be starting their chosen careers next year. Although I must admit Georgia is very unsure of what her chosen path is at the moment so she’s having to take a lot of thoughts over her next steps and what she is hoping to achieve. I think she will be making an appointment with student support for careers guidance when she returns to uni. The next step is still a bit daunting, I do hope it goes well for everyone xx

Edited at 08:36 AM.
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Anyone moved their students back yet, or due to this weekend? I do hope it all goes well.

Georgia goes back next Monday and face to face teaching starts the following week. She’s hoping to go out with her friends a few times the first week, to cafes and shopping trips as she still doesn’t drink alcohol 😄 . It will be nice for them to go out as they couldn’t really do so last year very much when they returned.

I’m feeling sad as I realise, unless Georgia stays on for a masters degree, this was our last long summer break together 😢 Taking them back after the summer break seems to be so very difficult every year and it’s not got any easier for me.

I do hope all the parents on here cope well with taking their students back and that the students all have a wonderful year ahead of them xx
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

DD starts welcome week on Monday where she meets her buddy that she will look after for the next couple of years. They have a few events planned including a 'cook for your buddy' meal. Lectures start the Monday after and at the moment it looks like she will be in 3 days a week which will be great as they had been warned that they may still be all online. I can't believe how fast it is all going, 2 down 3 to go!
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
DD starts welcome week on Monday where she meets her buddy that she will look after for the next couple of years. They have a few events planned including a 'cook for your buddy' meal. Lectures start the Monday after and at the moment it looks like she will be in 3 days a week which will be great as they had been warned that they may still be all online. I can't believe how fast it is all going, 2 down 3 to go!
Good luck to your DD Mary, I’m so pleased that face to face teaching seems to be in place for her too. It’s so important for them, especially in such hands on courses as veterinary.

The last two years have really flown by, although for your DD it’s still not quite halfway through her degree. Georgia is hoping to stay on for a masters degree, although she’s very unsure of her career path at the moment, so is having to think hard about her options.
Old 14 Sep 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Is she studying for Primary teaching? My daughter finished her PGCE for secondary school teaching this year and was offered 3 jobs, all at local schools to us and started at her chosen school last week. She is loving it so far. Make sure your daughter starts looking for jobs early, my daughter secured her job back in February, ready to start in September.
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic Mouse
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
Is she studying for Primary teaching? My daughter finished her PGCE for secondary school teaching this year and was offered 3 jobs, all at local schools to us and started at her chosen school last week. She is loving it so far. Make sure your daughter starts looking for jobs early, my daughter secured her job back in February, ready to start in September.
Yes, DD is doing primary teaching. I know she mentioned she’ll need to start applying for positions early next year. Fingers crossed she’ll get something. Glad your DD is enjoying her new career.
Orlando/Indian Shores - Aug 14 Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 16
Emerald Island/RPR - Aug 18
Magic Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List