Old 5 Aug 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
'Dad, can I have pizza for breakfast?' A 2019 offsite food report - COMPLETE

So, following our recent July 2019 trip here is our latest effort at a food report.

For those of you who have read my previous efforts, our four most recent trips have been using the DDP. This year however we wanted to stay offsite and that meant eating primarily offsite with a few Disney snacks and ADR’s thrown in.

This meant extensive research on the Disney Food Blog, Trip Advisor reviews and of course food reports on the DIBB to come up with a plan.

There were only three of us this year, myself, DW and our 14 year old DS. We all love our food so we were looking forward to it.

We opted for a trip this year with BA and due to son’s upcoming exams and work etc we were forced into a July trip. I'll admit I had doubts about it, given the costs in school holidays, potentially larger crowds and of course the weather which we know can be unpredictable and very hot.

This however worked out well in hindsight (with a bit of luck here and there), other than the start of the trip which I have documented in previous posts where we suffered delays and cancellations.

We have enjoyed previous off site trips so were looking forward to trying a few old favourites and trying a few new places.

Anyway, on with the show….
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019

Edited at 09:40 PM.
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Pre Travel day

As we had an early morning flight from Edinburgh to Gatwick the following day so we decided to book an overnight stay in Edinburgh.

Unfortunately our usual choice of either Premier Inn was returning astronomical prices so we looked for other options and chose the Doubletree at the Airport.

I won’t go into a full rant about this hotel but suffice to say it was the noisiest hotel we have ever been to. I think the walls were made of cardboard and the plumbing was very suspect. Every flush of a toilet or a tap going on was heard several floors away.

Anyway, rant over, we enjoyed a really pleasant and chilled day in Edinburgh and enjoyed lunch from M& S and coffees from Starbucks whilst picking up a few bits and pieces at the Gyle Centre before tramming into the Centre.

We completed some of the Oor Wullie trail (for our Scottish readers)

before a pub stop and couple of pints from the Alexander Graham Bell in George Street before moving on to the Cambridge Bar for tea. The food here (mainly burgers) is first class and tonight was no exception.

I had the breakfast burger, DW the chicken burger with haggis and DS the barbecue burger. We always opt for the Cajun fries.

We were suitably stuffed however it was a good training meal for the trip ahead.

On returning to the Doubletree we were alerted (not by BA I must add) of potential problems at Gatwick due to Air traffic controllers and we went to bed a bit uneasy at what may lay ahead.

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019

Edited at 09:33 PM.
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 1 – travel day

On waking at 3.30am to prepare for our 0640 flight to Gatwick I checked online and to my relief our Orlando flight from Gatwick was still showing as on time. On checking the Edinburgh leg to Gatwick however, we discovered to our horror that it had been cancelled.

Panic now setting in, we got ready as quickly as we could and got to the airport pronto to see what was happening.

On getting to the check in desk we discovered we had automatically been bumped to flights the following day from Edinburgh to Philly and then transfer to MCO.

Pretty devastated that we would potentially have to go home again for a day, the BA staff member at the check in desk said she would see what she could do. She was first class and despite several false dawns with other flight options, managed to get us on flights today from Edinburgh to Heathrow to Philly and then transfer to MCO which would at least get us there tonight.

Ok it would be 7 hours later than we should have been but at least we would get there tonight.

We hustled onto the 1st flight and scoffed the biscuits we had brought with us and arrived at Heathrow T5 and had to transfer to T3. We had a 5 hour wait so had some food from the fairly naff options here. (Sorry no photos I'm afraid) DS and I had a bacon muffin from EAT which was pretty average and DW a tuna sandwich from Boots. We had to get coffee from Café Nero as there was no Starbucks!

Our American Airlines flight was 50 mins late taking off from Heathrow which left our next connection a bit tight but we tried to relax and enjoy the flight. AA however were pretty good and better than BA in my opinion – better service, food etc. They did put the lights out for most of the flight which was a bit weird for a daytime flight though!

The food was usual airline fare but decent enough….

As we approached Philadelphia our troubles continued however...

The pilot advised there was a pretty heavy storm surrounding the airport which meant either taxiing in the air for a while or hopefully landing before it really hit. Fortunately (or so we thought to quote Judy Dench) we landed ahead of the storm and hastily made our way to the baggage carousels. On arriving there, an announcement was made telling us they could not open the hold doors to the aircraft (you couldn’t write this!).

The storm then began to close in and we could see lightning and black skies overhead. A further tannoy announcement was made advising that due to the storm no baggage staff were allowed outside and all flights had been grounded….

Fearing the worst for our connection, we waited on the storm clearing and a full 2 hours later our cases finally arrived on the carousel. On advice of airport staff we hot footed it to the connections desks where a member of staff was rapidly pointing travellers in various directions. I think he would have made an excellent game show host give his dramatics with a hefty sized flight board!

He advised our connection to MCO had been cancelled and to make out way to the rapidly building American Airlines queue nearby.

The guy at the desk then advised that we had no option of getting to Orlando today and it would be tomorrow at the earliest. He then scanned the options and I could see a lot of head shaking and scratching which was not a good sign. He then advised all direct flights to MCO were full the following day and our only option would be to travel via Houston to MCO, which meant the best part of an 8 hour connection and us not getting in until at least 8.30pm. Basically the loss of another day and more.

Chatting between ourselves we were running through the options and DW immediately suggested Tampa as an option. The guy, to his credit then came up with a direct flight to Tampa at 12.30 which would get us there at 3pm. Without really thinking, we opted for this.
We were then given vouchers for a hotel stay at the Wyndam Garden which was about a 4 mile drive and $12 food vouchers.

We then had a manic half hour trying to get a bus to the hotel in an airport basically in shut down mode and on arrival at the hotel a long line of fellow travellers in a similar predicament. Not the ideal way to start the trip but we tried to remain upbeat and were happier now that we could get at least get some sleep and had arranged an onward flight which would at least get us to Tampa.

We got to bed completely shattered at 10pm on what had been a long and stressful day.

Old 5 Aug 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 2

I woke up early and immediately tried to re-arrange our car hire with BA (to pick up in Tampa) which ended up easier than I thought and we also received a day’s refund which was heartening. Maybe our luck was changing...

Feeling much better after a nights sleep we bussed back to the airport which we found to be a really modern well equipped airport with plenty of food options. We opted for Chick Fil A for some breakfast and made the most of our $12 vouchers!

Sausage Breakfast biscuits for DW and I and a bacon one for DS, hash browns all round and a supply of warm chocolate cookies which were superb with Orange juice.

Excellent breakfast made all the better for being free.

We flew onto Tampa (which I think included loads of delayed travellers like us) which was a much better airport than MCO in all sorts of ways and with no immigration to clear we were on the mono rail to the car lot in no time and picked up our car. We then had a fairly stress free journey to our home for the next two weeks at the Sheraton Vistana Resort.

We had stayed here previously and on check in found we had been upgraded to a premium 1 bed apartment which was fantastic and made us feel so much better. We had lost our first day, which included fast passes at our fav park at HS, however the holiday definitely started here!

Now fairly peckish we headed to a new one for us at the Texas Roadhouse along the 192. We used the Call Ahead Service and on arrival were seated instantly before the throng of people waiting for a table. After the rolls to start we used a voucher for a free Cactus Onion Blossom which was tasty but huge.

I chose the Dallas fillet which was superb and one of the best off site steaks I have ever had. The sides were pretty good too (topped steak fries and a bowl of chilli) although there was way too much and I couldn’t finish it.

DW had the Boneless Buffalo wings which was an appetiser as a main and added loaded fries as another appetiser. Again way too much food and she had to admit defeat….

DS had a bacon cheeseburger with fries…

With tip and drinks this came to $67.

We then popped to Target and got some supplies which is always an enjoyable hour before a quick trip to Disney Springs to collect our free Toy Story Magic Bands.

Feeling settled in and happier we shuffled off to bed at 11.15...

Edited at 09:47 PM.
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a horrible travel day..glad to see things turned around for yous.
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 3

After a great night’s sleep in the comfy beds we were up early (the notes say 6.20 – wow…)

We had a good breakfast of cereal and muffins before heading to the TTC and onwards to the MK. We had now put all of our hassles behind us and enjoyed a great 1st day.

We had decided before the trip started that we would try and not eat too heavily through the day (yeh right! ) so that we were nice and hungry at teatime.

We opted for some MK snacks around 11 o’clock – a cinnamon loaf from Gastons for DW, a mac and cheese hot dog for the boy from Caseys and I had a coffee cake with a Latte from the Main St Bakery which was pretty disappointing and I was still hungry!

I then decided I would have an ice cream cookie sandwich from the Plaza ice Cream parlour which DS and I shared.

This was superb as usual and I now felt more pleasantly stuffed!

Tonight’s tea was at the Teak Neighborhood Grill.

DW and DS to my horror and disgust decided they were having flatbreads rather than burgers (BBQ chicken and pepperoni) which they both loved.

DW said it was her favourite meal of the holiday.

I stuck to plan and had an engine oil burger which was really good.

We had two portions of fries between the three of us which was plently and one of them was topped with chilli cheese for the adults.

With drinks and a tip check came to $58.

After a quick trip to the Florida Mall and Publix for bits and pieces we got back to the condo for some beers and some of this lovely ice cream before bed. They never have small tubs in America!

A great first day….

Edited at 09:48 PM.
Old 5 Aug 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 4

Another early start.

Based on various sources we decided to try Kekes for breakfast at Dr Phillips and although it was pretty good, we weren’t blown away by the hype to be honest.

I had the eggs benedict which wasn’t piping hot, which came with breakfast potatoes.

DW had the Florida Waffle, which she asked to have with pecans rather than banana (and was later charged an extra $2 for the priviledge) which of course she didn't moan about...

and DS the chocolate chip waffle.

With 3 OJ’s and a tip this came to $50.

It was then on to AK for the day.

Early afternoon we had some snacks – pretzel and cheese for DS

and soft scoop ice cream from Anandapur truck for DW and I.

These were really good and ideal on a boiling hot afternoon.

After an hour or so cooling down at the resort, we headed to the Longhorns for tea at Vineland.

After the compo bread, with another coupon sign up, we had the free starter – Texas Tonion to share which was ace.

DW and I both then chose the Parmesan crusted chicken with fries for mains. These were good but way to heavy on the salt….

DS had the chicken tenders with a side of mac and cheese. Talk about carb overload! He also though he was being hard done by only ordering the 'small' portion. That was until it arrived!

Good meal and with drink and tips came to $66.

In the evening we headed to HS after a trip to Publix for some breakfast goodies for the next few days.

DS picked up a popcorn bucket for the remainder of the trip and DW’s notes say we returned back to the ranch for some ice cream.

Another quality day….

Old 5 Aug 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 5

After some cereal and muffins it was on to Typhoon Lagoon.

It seemed to be heaving and the first thing we saw was a tell tale sign of a Brazilian tour party – the dreaded yellow flag followed by hundreds of teenagers wearing the same clothes. Not the ideal start but we soldiered on quickly riding the likely busier flumes – Crush & Gusher etc.

By lunch time we had had a great 45 mins in the wave pool when it was starting to get a bit crazy – people climbing on shoulders and jumping off when the waves came etc we decided to call it a day.

We popped back to the condo for a snack lunch – some Lays and ice cream with some juice.

We then showered and headed out to the Outlets at Vineland for a look before heading to the Cheesecake Factory for tea. We were seated straight away and had our first real episode of ‘eyes bigger than bellyitis’.

After the compo bread

DW fancied the garlic cheese toast and I fancied the cheeseburger springs rolls as appetisers and couldn’t decide which to pick, so we ordered both. Schoolboy error...

The garlic toast was immense, however the spring rolls were pretty greasy to be honest.

Rather than being sensible and maybe sharing a main we all opted for mains (bad mistake) as we were all pretty stuffed early doors.

DW had the spicy crispy sandwich which she said was too greasy and sickly.

I had the Californian Cheesesteak sandwich which wasn’t bad

and DS the pepperoni pizza which he said was great.

We were now stuffed and paid the check $80 inc tip and browsed the cheesecakes. You have to don’t you!

Food at CF other than the cheesecake was a wee bit disappointing if I am honest. A bit greasy.

We bought a key lime for me and a coffee & cream for DW

and returned back to the ranch to leave them in the fridge before a magic night in MK finished by the Goodnight Kiss after a nightime fastpass on Big Thunder.

We then returned to have some of the cheesecake bought earlier. These were immense although were eaten in three separate sittings if I remember, the first being in the car on the way home. DW had the remainder of hers for breakfast the next day. Well you are in the USA after all…..

Good fun day.

Old 5 Aug 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 6

Today was a bit of a rest day started with an ADR at Trails End – which turned out to be our only one of the trip.

Food as ever was pretty good but the final check showed the difference in price for on site compared to offsite – Inc tip it came to $89. Not cheap for what we had really.

Some photos of the offerings...

We then headed to Top Golf for a booking at 10am. We had an hour and a half and it was great fun and given it was a Tuesday it was half price.

We then headed to the Outlets again at Vineland and had coffee from Starbucks and some pastries, we had err borrowed from Trails End….

We decided to try Giordanos for tea at the Crossroads which wasn’t far away.

We were aware of the wait for the deep dish pizzas being 40 mins so enjoyed a free appetiser of the garlic bread which was superb

and then had another ‘bellyitis’ moment and ordered a 3 to 4 person meat pizza.

On eating the first slice we knew this would be a tough task to finish and by the second piece we all admitted defeat and the remaining two slices were boxed and taken away. DS somehow scoffed them for his breakfast the next morning – he doesn’t get to do things like this at home – honestly!

Good meal although pretty mozzarella based and very filling. Check with drinks and tip came to $48.

Evening was spent in MK where DS had a pop corn refill.

A nice chilled day.

Old 5 Aug 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
that was the travel day from hell we all fear, great that you got through it so well and looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List