Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 May 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Visitor toll pass was great when we used it 2019.
Very easy and works great. Think you just attach it to mirror.
A few points.
Iím sure the person giving out the tag told us to store away after each day. I might be wrong itís nearly 2 years.( theft risk) but place it back next day. I think we just left ours.
You must return the tag as you enter the airport or thereís a $10 charge.
Make sure you tell the hire company you will not require the toll tag off them or you risk being charged twice.( if that does happen you can apply for a refund off surpass but might still be charged surcharge by hire company)
Log on line or use new app to track charges.
Donít forget to pick it up with all the excitement of arriving in the best place in the world.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Grandee View Post
'Sprint' Mick? !
Well - let's say a 75 year old speed walk.

Mick
Old 28 May 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
Visitor toll pass was great when we used it 2019.
Very easy and works great. Think you just attach it to mirror.
A few points.
Iím sure the person giving out the tag told us to store away after each day. I might be wrong itís nearly 2 years.( theft risk) but place it back next day. I think we just left ours.
You must return the tag as you enter the airport or thereís a $10 charge.
Make sure you tell the hire company you will not require the toll tag off them or you risk being charged twice.( if that does happen you can apply for a refund off surpass but might still be charged surcharge by hire company)
Log on line or use new app to track charges.
Donít forget to pick it up with all the excitement of arriving in the best place in the world.
We weren't given any instructions by the staff as to what to do with the tag - we knew when our trips would involve a toll road so we put it into the glovebox the rest of the time.

We only tend to hire with Alamo or Avis so no experience of getting a tag from the car hire people. We've just relied on Sunpass which automatically kicks in if you don't stop and pay cash. Works on taking a photo of licence plate rather than reading a tag.

Maybe you need to be careful with Dollar and their very attractive toll pass offer.

sunpass/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml

Mick

PS

Don't rely on the Avis costs on this website. Despite Andy at DFCH and I emailing Sunpass a couple of times they refuse to update the Avis charges.

Edited at 03:53 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Geordie boy 57 View Post
Iíve tried setting the VPN on my Samsung to Orlando
App still not showing
Will keep trying
Can't see the app on my Samsung nor Joan's iPhone yet. As I said earlier if the new web site was only loaded overnight maybe the app stores haven't caught up in the UK yet. We don't use VPNs though.

I'm sure that a Dibber will announce success soon.

Mick
Old 28 May 21, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Okay can you help a dibber out , normally we pick our car up from the Disney car center . Alamo .

This time picking up from mco flydrive with BA which Is Avis .
Normally we sail through the tolls throw in the cash , and off we go , never had an issue.

Will we have one of these sun pass thingies attached to our car ?, do we decline it ?

Whatís the best thing to do , we are happy throwing quarters in a bucket( I have a collection ! )

Any advise for a novice

Thanks

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by signtalker View Post
Okay can you help a dibber out , normally we pick our car up from the Disney car center . Alamo .

This time picking up from mco flydrive with BA which Is Avis .
Normally we sail through the tolls throw in the cash , and off we go , never had an issue.

Will we have one of these sun pass thingies attached to our car ?, do we decline it ?

Whatís the best thing to do , we are happy throwing quarters in a bucket( I have a collection ! )

Any advise for a novice

Thanks

Jules
I'll try to help if I can.

First of all open the link in my post 33 and go to traveller information/tolls at the top. That page will show all the toll roads in Florida and which very few are cashless. That's totally cashless not to be confused with unmanned. Even on roads where you can pay cash most of the plazas on the ramps are unmanned.

For a while during Covid cash was banned but I'm hoping that will be allowed by the time we all get back. So, unless shown otherwise on the web site, you can simply pay cash but collect quarters in change from the manned ones to use at unmanned plazas.

Or you simply drive through and automatically engage Sunpass. As I said earlier though the Avis rates are wrong in that web site. More like this.

Some Avis cars may have a transponder fitted at the top of the windscreen. This can be switched on or off and it makes no difference when driving through a plaza. You either pay cash or trigger the Sunpass. You don't accept or decline anything when you pick the car up - I've never been asked.

Mick

Edited at 08:09 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 21, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Answer part 2

We are always on auto-pilot when we leave MCO from garage B on to the 417 south.

If going this way this is the first toll. If paying cash keep right, give the attendant no more than a $20 bill and ask for change. If using Sunpass keep left and don't stop.

You'll need change when leaving the 417 at junctions 2 or 3 for example. This is j2 at Celebration Avenue. j3 at Osceola is similar.

You can buy a Sunpass mini transponder from Publix, CVS etc but Sunpass kicks in automatically when you don't stop by taking a photo of your licence plate.

Can I say how great it is to be posting on car hire again

Edited at 10:13 AM.
Old 29 May 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Answer part 3

Whenever I try to help on toll stuff there's always someone happy to say that I've forgotten something.

As I mentioned earlier I keep forgetting that you can buy a mini transponder from the likes of Publix which has a certain amout pre-loaded and you can top it up. It's what the residents do and villa owners like Helen (Gryff)

But that would require you to find a shop that sold them before embarking on any toll road from the airport

Mick

Edited at 10:14 AM.
Old 29 May 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

The App is now available in the UK iTunes store.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The App is now available in the UK iTunes store.
Youíre right, Iíve just downloaded it.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List