Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jul 21, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Not negative, Karen, just honest! We’ve got a trip booked to Canada in January and I regret booking it, not because I don’t want to go but because I hate the uncertainty. I love holiday planning, but takings thing as they come and booking late probably needs to be the order of the day for the time being.
Same here
We booked a trip to NYC in late December 2020 (when things looked optimistic with vaccine rollout - I had not booked anything prior because I couldn’t see travel restarting earlier) for June 2021 - and I’m just left with £350 BA vouchers now and no inclination to rebook. The planning and excitement are a big part of the holiday for me and until that is a bit more certain I can’t get enthused about some of the trips I’d thought we would be doing!
Old 19 Jul 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
If I can be honest, I wouldn’t book Hawaii right now for a number of reasons. If you ever look on the TripAdvisor forums you would see things are a bit strange there at the moment, hopefully it will all unwind soon but I wouldn’t book right now (so so sorry to be negative).
Yes I wouldn’t book just now either there’s no harm in planning for when it will happen. IMO Hawaii is made better when you do extensive planning as you’ll find the best beaches aren’t always the ones all the tourists flock to so nosing around forums, reading guidebooks and photo books really do help to prepare for Hawaii. You could also start looking at possible accommodation choices. We chose a condo in Maui and booked in Jan for that August and we were glad as the best locations do book out as Hawaii seems to be a destination that even Americans like to plan and book well in advance.
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 21, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Yes I wouldn’t book just now either there’s no harm in planning for when it will happen. IMO Hawaii is made better when you do extensive planning as you’ll find the best beaches aren’t always the ones all the tourists flock to so nosing around forums, reading guidebooks and photo books really do help to prepare for Hawaii. You could also start looking at possible accommodation choices. We chose a condo in Maui and booked in Jan for that August and we were glad as the best locations do book out as Hawaii seems to be a destination that even Americans like to plan and book well in advance.
Agree with all of that
Old 3 Sep 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

So, after looking into other holiday options, I have come back to Hawaii, with an itinerary as follows:-

2n San Francisco
Fly to Honolulu
6n Outrigger Reef Waikiki, Oahu (free canx and nothing to pay until 5 days before)
Fly to Maui
7n Sugar Beach Resort condo, Maui (with free canx)
Fly to LA
3n with family in Santa Monica

I’m booking flights, SF hotel and Maui car hire with BA, so can pay a deposit and benefit from their flexible Covid policy if we get nearer to the time and the trip looks unlikely. As above, my Hawaii accommodation is free cancellation. I’m just holding off on booking my internal flights to and from Hawaii until things are hopefully looking more settled, as refundable tickets are crazy money.

I can see from my research what you mean about things being a bit strange. They appear to be very nervous around tourism even from within the US although, living on an island myself, I can understand that. I’m guessing the water has, to some extent, protected them.

If Hawaii can’t go ahead, I’ve got 2 possible back up plans, west coast USA and western Canada (the latter being my preference).
Old 3 Sep 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My cousin and family are in Maui right now, the pics look beautiful, they live in New York so flew from there
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi Kate

Last time I checked a few days ago the Governor was asking tourists not to visit for the time being 😱 because they had run out of ICU beds on one of the islands. Many restaurants are take out only or still closed because of lack of staff I guess that’s where some of the ‘thinking / feeling’ is coming from.

Putting that to one side your choices look excellent - two nights in San Francisco to break up the journey and sightsee sound great. Then a few nights to have fun and break up the depressing journey home and see family The amount of time you have allocated on Oahu and Maui is perfect IMO.

Outrigger Reef is in a great spot. Will you hire a car on Oahu for a couple of days?

I know where Sugar Beach is but haven’t visited. It’s at the top of Kihei which some people aren’t keen on (it wouldn’t bother me I don’t think but just saying that for completeness). We stayed in Wailea both times which is about seven miles south, on the same road, if you want to avoid the Highway. It looks like condos have got really expensive compared to when we went in 2017 and 2018 as the prices for where we stayed I wouldn’t want to pay now.

Really good plan to book cancellable rates just in case.
Old 3 Sep 21, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi Kate

Last time I checked a few days ago the Governor was asking tourists not to visit for the time being 😱 because they had run out of ICU beds on one of the islands. Many restaurants are take out only or still closed because of lack of staff I guess that’s where some of the ‘thinking / feeling’ is coming from.

Putting that to one side your choices look excellent - two nights in San Francisco to break up the journey and sightsee sound great. Then a few nights to have fun and break up the depressing journey home and see family The amount of time you have allocated on Oahu and Maui is perfect IMO.

Outrigger Reef is in a great spot. Will you hire a car on Oahu for a couple of days?

I know where Sugar Beach is but haven’t visited. It’s at the top of Kihei which some people aren’t keen on (it wouldn’t bother me I don’t think but just saying that for completeness). We stayed in Wailea both times which is about seven miles south, on the same road, if you want to avoid the Highway. It looks like condos have got really expensive compared to when we went in 2017 and 2018 as the prices for where we stayed I wouldn’t want to pay now.

Really good plan to book cancellable rates just in case.
I hadn’t seen about that, but what a difficult position to be in, Covid does seem quite prevalent in the US just now.

I think we probably will hire a car for a couple of days in Oahu, but not the whole time we parking is $40 a night! We will want the chance to explore without needing to rely on taxis or a tour.

I had a limit for what I wanted to pay for a condo, and the one in Sugar Beach looks really nice. I don’t mind being a bit further out, I’m not a drinker so if we need to drive back from restaurants rather than walk, that’s no hardship.

I’m hoping this trip can go ahead but I’m equally realistic that it might not. I think I will re-evaluate in February or March and if things still aren’t looking good I’ll plan one of the backup trips. I’m hoping having a plan A, B and C will mean something can go ahead!
Old 3 Sep 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Two days with a car on Oahu would be enough, I think. As you say the parking charges are high.

Our first trip we were in Waikiki for five days and had a car the whole time but could have done without it for at least two of the days. We did go around the island extensively.

Second time we just used local buses (surprisingly good coverage) and the odd taxi, but we walked mostly.

So two days sounds like a good compromise compared to my poor choices 😂