General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 20 Jul 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - Sanaa but not as we know it - Day 5

Summer in the Wild West of Scotland - Sanaa but not as we know it - Day 5 - 7/7/21

Index is here

Another stunning beach planned for today,Sanna Bay so prepare yourself for way too many photos again. Unfortunately, the weather wasn’t as nice or as warm as yesterday but it was dry and we packed the swim stuff just in case.

Another drive to a Kilchoan, navigating the single track roads with crazy birds diving across them and the sheep that loved to just mill about in the middle of them. Since we were in the area we stopped off at the ferry store for more of that yummy bread which had just arrived and was still warm and Dh filled the car with petrol.

We weren’t sure if we should just head straight for Sanna Bay or do a walk from Portnuairk to get there. The walk was billed as moderate, so we thought why not. We used the details from the website wildlocharber, it was fairly detailed but it would say things like head up through the heath and in the middle of nowhere we did make a few wrong turns but we got there.

I have to say though that if that walk was moderate then I’d say that’s my limit. Ds on the other hand was scaling up rocks and loving life again, just as well he hadn’t seen the post that I saw later about adders in the area.

Again though you were throughly rewarded for your walking with some absolutely amazing scenery on the way. When we finally headed down to the bay it was incredible. You reached a little bay first before carrying on over the field and the dunes to reach Sanna Bay itself.

You totally knew you were in the wilds, very rugged in parts, not quite the most westernly point on the UK mainland but pretty close. There was a fair few people there. More than the beach yesterday.

We thought about swimming but it wasn’t the nicest outdoor temperature and the water was freezing. There were also some small jellyfish in the water. We’d had an amazing time at the singing sands the day before and I think that’s maybe the better one for swimming. That doesn’t take away from the fact Sanna Bay was huge and magnificent. There was hundreds of Rock pools and loads of little coves. We walked the length of it and I took masses of photos. Every bit seemed different and unique.

To walk back we did the circular route which took us through sheep fields and a few more wrong turns but we made it back to the car eventually unscathed. I loved the beach but I think Ds loved the walk more as it was fairly ambitious for us.

We were all pretty knackered but decided since we were over on this side of the peninsula to drive onwards to the lighthouse which is the most westernly point of mainland UK. The road was a bit narrow and when you approached the lighthouse there were actually traffic lights before the road leading up to it as it was totally single track with no room for passing places. The lighthouse area was having lots of work done and had only reopened at the start of the month. There were still lots of bits shut off.

We went to the little tea room to get some refreshments before exploring. Just had cakes and juices but it was nice that there was some stuff on offer. We sat outside and admired the view.

There were a few other people up there and the wee tearoom seemed to be doing a good trade, I’d saw they were looking for staff, Ds was a bit horrified that people can live without decent internet…. Teenagers!

We explored for a bit and Dh managed to fall over and give himself a bloody knee on the path, honestly, after all the crazy walking surfaces we’ve covered in this holiday, he falls over on a gravel path, he was fine!

I think the visitors centre up there will be great when it’s finished, I was still glad we’d visited though. When we were trying to leave there was a dog that belonged to the person working up there that was doing some weird stuff with the traffic lights. We’d noticed it hanging about and then edging in front of the car waiting to leave as soon as the traffic lights turned green to head along the single track road. Right enough when we lined up behind a car to go as soon as the light turned green it was up standing in front of our car. We didn’t make the change of lights. As soon as the light turned red it went back to lying at the side of the road watching us. This time when the light turned green we went and the dog did the exact same thing to the car behind us. It was as if it was trained to only let one car out at a time. Lol😂.

An uneventful drive back and we stopped to see some highland cows at the Ardnamurchan visitor centre.

We spent the evening in chilling with a bottle of wine. Another m&s tea, this time filled past and we watched the football.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

That was quite a walk but another lovely beach
Old 21 Jul 21, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by P&S View Post
That was quite a walk but another lovely beach
It was really nice but if there’s ever a next time we’ll be parking in the car park at Sanaa Bay. 😂
Old 22 Jul 21, 05:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I was thinking you were lucky none of you slipped on the rocks at the beach...and then DH tripped over on the path. Oh dear. It didn't seem too bad a fall and it sounded like another lovely day.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I was thinking you were lucky none of you slipped on the rocks at the beach...and then DH tripped over on the path. Oh dear. It didn't seem too bad a fall and it sounded like another lovely day.
You couldn’t make it up, right? Bet a gravel path wouldn’t have been on the risk assessment😂😂
Old 25 Jul 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow the terrain in the walk to the beach looked quite challenging, that view was completely worth it. It’s lovely to see the changing landscapes too. Xx
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Wow the terrain in the walk to the beach looked quite challenging, that view was completely worth it. It’s lovely to see the changing landscapes too. Xx
I totally over did it with the photos. It was challenging for us, I’d never do something like that at home, I like a beach or park walk, much more my pace…