Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Aug 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 22: York Jorvik Viking Centre and Shambles

It’s basically our last proper day of the holiday today as tomorrow we head home.
It’s been a long trip and we have packed a lot in, it’s been an adventure for sure. We are all looking forward to going home now though and the kids are especially excited to see their pet bunnies, guinea pigs, cat and tortoise

Today we had a booking at the Jorvik Viking centre for 9am entry, which is when they open. I have no idea why I booked it so early, but surprisingly there was minimal moaning when it was time to get up this morning, and the kids were all really good.

We got to the Jorvik just before 9am and there was a queue outside with a lady dressed as a Viking letting everyone know that they would soon be opening. Luckily it was dry, as rain had been forecast for most of the day.

We were let in at 9am and the queue moved quickly. I knew in advance that it was a very short visit and that we would be done within an hour - otherwise it would have been a bit disappointing.
At first you are let in to a room which has a see through floor, with various artefacts underneath and a person explaining what they are - it was very hard to see anything as the floor was so scuffed, and you miss what the person says as the queue continues to move as they are talking, so you either miss the beginning or end, or both! Not sure if this arrangement is just due to Covid, but I knew the main attraction was the ‘ride’ so wasn’t too bothered.

You then board a ride - each vehicle takes 6, which was perfect for us. You select which language you want and the ride takes you around, and there are individual screens for each seat. Similar to that big ride at Epcot in the giant golf ball (the name of the ride escapes me right now!)

This was the fun part
Although there is a really nasty stench that is obviously artificially added to make it more authentic! It really stank 😂

The ride was great - I think it lasted about 15 mins, but there was plenty to see and it was very comfortable. (Apart from the smell!)

After the ride, there is a little museum area with a few exhibits which was interesting. There was also a ‘Viking’ lady who was hammering Viking coins for £2 each - the kids bought one each for a souvenir.

There is a shop before you exit - they had some nice things but the kids were content with their souvenir coins. We were all done by 10am - so it really is a short visit.

We had a look around the the shops and Shambles next.

We really loved the area with lots of narrow little streets full of quirky shops - I was in my element!

We had a look in ‘The shop that must not be named’ - a fab Harry Potter themed shop. There was quite a queue to get in, but it moved quickly. Amber bought a pin badge, after I informed her that £66 for a hufflepuff jumper was not going to happen! 😂

We came across a square where a guy was on a 9 foot unicycle juggling with fire! We enjoyed watching for a while - he was very good.

We also loved looking around the market area. Amber found a fab stall that sold hundreds of different pin badges - lots of studio Ghibli ones. She bought a few and the boys bought a pocket watch each.

There is also a market area with lots of different food stalls.

We opted to get a Yorkypud wrap - Koolie had seen them on YouTube on rate my takeaway and had been looking forward to trying them!

We had yorkypud wraps - they contain meat, veg, gravy and stuffing, and some sides of roast potatoes and cracking. Really good! It has started raining quite heavily now, so we took them to the undercover market area and ate them at one of the free tables there.

It was getting quite late now, so we decided to get back in the car and drive straight to Nottingham where the Travelodge was booked for. The plan had been originally to go via the Humber bridge - but it was very rainy so we decided to give it a miss. Koolie also managed to arrange catching up with an old friend he hasn’t seen for years in the evening bear Nottingham

Tomorrow we have about 2 and a half hours drive to get home back to Bristol. We are close to Wollaton Deer park at the hotel here, so we will see what the weather is like and may pop in.
I am looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night! Not so much looking forward to the laundry mountain 😂

I will do a final day report when I can, with trip highlights (and lows) and also sort out all my typos and spelling mistakes…. some posts were done when I was half asleep late at night.

Thank you to everyone who has followed along on our crazy journey! All your lovely comments have kept me going with the trip report, when sometimes it has been really late and the WiFi has been rubbish, and I have felt like not bothering. 😆

Edited at 10:19 PM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

What an amazing trip! I’ve really loved reading it every day and seeing all the interesting places that you’ve visited.It must have taken some organising,I think that you have all done really well with all the travelling and numerous attractions that you’ve visited.I bet that you are ready for your own bed though! 😊
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

We went to york for the first time ever last year. Shambles is great and really enjoyed it. Our experinence at Yorvik was exactly the same. Couldnt hear a word in the first room with see through floor. I had an email from them asking how the visit was and i mentioned this... obviously they took no notice! I liked the fact some of the figures on the ride were made from imaging of remains that had been found. We had yorkie wraps too 😋 your photos are great ! Thanks for posting!
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Glad you had a great day. I love visiting York and just pottering around the independent shops. Hope the drive home goes ok and enjoy your own bed.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I rarely read trip reports on the Dibb (not sure why) but have enjoyed reading your posts every day. I admire you doing this with 4 children - especially teenagers.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 21, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I’ve loved you trip, glad you enjoyed York and the weather wasn’t too bad!
Old 7 Aug 21, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have really enjoyed reading your reports every day. You have done such a lot and you have been blessed with such good weather in the main too. Your report has certainly given me some inspiration to try something different. Hope those who have said a UK holiday is a “waste of money” will read some of your report because I’m sure they would change their mind.
Thank you for taking the time to write.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 21, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve loved reading your posts everyday & so glad you persevered.
I’m sure you’ve given lots of Dibbers, ideas for future Uk staycations. I’ve got a few in mind now for next month as our Florida trip is looking less likely.
Thx again. X
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 21, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you DM for posting your trip report, it’s been lovely to follow you on your travels. I bet you feel like you need a rest after the holiday!
The Yorkshire pudding wrap sounds delicious I’d love to try one!
Safe travels home
X
Old 7 Aug 21, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a great day in York another city I love

I've said it before but I have loved following you down and up and back down the country Your children are a complete credit to you and Koolie