Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, FastPass+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Aug 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
If all the paid goes at 7am then Disney aren’t doing their jobs if they are trying to make money. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to pay extra for something a bit longer than anyone trying to book a free BG. Call me cynical but I bet they hope people try to get a free BG and then release they have all gone so they pay instead.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
Ha ha I don’t care if it’s fair, I just want to go on what I want to go on! I loved the old system, I loved the planning, I loved doing my fastpasses and ADR s on my 60 days and 180 days, and I felt satisfied with the service I was getting off Disney.

Who knows, this system might work out ok, only time will tell.
A word of caution.

I believe that the system will be a great improvement, but only for those in a very small group (2 or less) and/or for those who do not worry about a budget in what they do in life. I am not one of those.

I believe that for many in the U.K. with families and who are very much tied to School Hols and the flight ticket prices that go with it, this may be the straw that breaks the camels back… and to be fair, it is not so much a straw as a very large branch.

I believe that Disney will not care one iota as the Longhaul European traveller, several thousand non Disney Dollars the poorer before they even enter his kingdom is just a very tiny part of their visitors, many of whom simply buy a park ticket and nothing else, staying off site, taking food into the parks, eking out 14 days etc etc. Disney would like to get rid of them, making room in the parks to concentrate more on those who are going to spend lots on Accommodation for just a few days, Genie Plus, Dining, Merchandise and anything else that they can invent in the future.
If Disney can still admit 100,000 big spenders in a day, rather than 65,000 with the other 35,000 watching their dollars, then of course that is what they will aim for. They have shareholders to account to!

There may however be wider implications for Orlando, LBV, Davenport, IDrive etc. I perceive a large oversupply of Hotel rooms and privately owned Villas for rent already and even during Easter/Summer. In 2019 and just two weeks out from the Easter break, I had my pick of dozens of nice villas.

Disney are the big players in the area, perhaps increasingly along with Universal. If they succeed in making their empires unaffordable to Family groups, then family groups will not come to the area, spending on accommodation, off site restaurants, old town Kissimmee, Airboat rides, Cheaper non branded tatt, etc It is not as if Orlando is packed with freestanding, ‘go it alone’ attractions that will attract the hordes. Without Disney and Universal, they are nothing compared with California, East Coast, Gulf Coast etc. At the end of the day, it is a reclaimed swamp with no beaches anywhere near and in places it is rather shabby. A decline in family groups attending for a fortnight will result in a decrease in demand for Villas, Condos, Hotel self catering apartments etc… then with the competition for these accommodations on a downward spiral, the remaining customers will be king, driving down prices.

If I owned in the Orlando area, then I would be watching things very, very carefully. I understand that profits can be marginal and whilst the Hotels etc can reduce prices and maybe maintain numbers as they have the advantage of National and even International scale, it may not be quite so simple for the private owners.. and they won’t get by, simply on long let Snowbirds if they have big outgoings such as mortgages, pool heating, turnarounds, maintenance, taxes etc..

There may be trouble ahead… or not.

Me?

After our last Hurrah next Easter with my nearly grown ups, we are unlikely to ever trouble Orlando again. Once you discount theme parks and kids , then the rest of the USA (and the World) suddenly looks far, far more interesting, perhaps because it is ‘real’. Great Beaches, Iconic landmarks and history to see, cheaper flights.. The advantages are endless.

Into the future, I have no doubt that health permitting, we will visit the Panhandle again, likewise St Petes and South to Key West via the Tamiami. Orlando? Forget it.

2005 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2015
2017 Panhandle purgatoryhttps://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1193744
2018 Californiahttps://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1072473
2019 Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1137302
future...Arizona/Cali/Nevada 2021
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post14647964
Toronto & Florida 2022. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1197381
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
A word of caution.

I believe that the system will be a great improvement, but only for those in a very small group (2 or less) and/or for those who do not worry about a budget in what they do in life. I am not one of those.

I believe that for many in the U.K. with families and who are very much tied to School Hols and the flight ticket prices that go with it, this may be the straw that breaks the camels back… and to be fair, it is not so much a straw as a very large branch.

I believe that Disney will not care one iota as the Longhaul European traveller, several thousand non Disney Dollars the poorer before they even enter his kingdom is just a very tiny part of their visitors, many of whom simply buy a park ticket and nothing else, staying off site, taking food into the parks, eking out 14 days etc etc. Disney would like to get rid of them, making room in the parks to concentrate more on those who are going to spend lots on Accommodation for just a few days, Genie Plus, Dining, Merchandise and anything else that they can invent in the future.
If Disney can still admit 100,000 big spenders in a day, rather than 65,000 with the other 35,000 watching their dollars, then of course that is what they will aim for. They have shareholders to account to!

There may however be wider implications for Orlando, LBV, Davenport, IDrive etc. I perceive a large oversupply of Hotel rooms and privately owned Villas for rent already and even during Easter/Summer. In 2019 and just two weeks out from the Easter break, I had my pick of dozens of nice villas.

Disney are the big players in the area, perhaps increasingly along with Universal. If they succeed in making their empires unaffordable to Family groups, then family groups will not come to the area, spending on accommodation, off site restaurants, old town Kissimmee, Airboat rides, Cheaper non branded tatt, etc It is not as if Orlando is packed with freestanding, ‘go it alone’ attractions that will attract the hordes. Without Disney and Universal, they are nothing compared with California, East Coast, Gulf Coast etc. At the end of the day, it is a reclaimed swamp with no beaches anywhere near and in places it is rather shabby. A decline in family groups attending for a fortnight will result in a decrease in demand for Villas, Condos, Hotel self catering apartments etc… then with the competition for these accommodations on a downward spiral, the remaining customers will be king, driving down prices.

If I owned in the Orlando area, then I would be watching things very, very carefully. I understand that profits can be marginal and whilst the Hotels etc can reduce prices and maybe maintain numbers as they have the advantage of National and even International scale, it may not be quite so simple for the private owners.. and they won’t get by, simply on long let Snowbirds if they have big outgoings such as mortgages, pool heating, turnarounds, maintenance, taxes etc..

Me?

After our last Hurrah next Easter with my nearly grown ups, we are unlikely to ever trouble Orlando again. Once you discount theme parks and kids , then the rest of the USA (and the World) suddenly looks far, far more interesting, perhaps because it is ‘real’. Great Beaches, Iconic landmarks and history to see, cheaper flights.. The advantages are endless.

Into the future, I have no doubt that health permitting, we will visit the Panhandle again, likewise St Petes and South to Key West via the Tamiami. Orlando? Forget it.
I doubt this change will make much difference to the numbers of people visiting. It won't put off the majority of families from visiting, either Americans or Brits/Europeans. The parks, and hotels in the area, will remain busy.

Sure, an average American family of 4 spending 6 days at Disney will now have to cough up $360 for Genie+ for the whole of their stay. But that family are probably spending more than that on just one cellphone contract. They'll spend more than that on takeaway coffees over a few months. They were willing to spend over $500 on tickets to the Boo Bash After Hours event this September just to spend 3 or 4 extra hours in Magic Kingdom one night. Or they were going to spend $400 to let their two kids build their own lightsabers that they'll play with for a week and then will forget about.

It might put a few people off, some of whom will still visit Orlando but go to Universal or the other attractions instead. But equally there'll be a lot of new people coming to the parks.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:34 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

A word of caution.

Me?

You’ve probably already been but may I suggest Monument Valley in Arizona? Absolutely 100% pure and iconic America.
SleepingBeauty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I doubt this change will make much difference to the numbers of people visiting. It won't put off the majority of families from visiting, either Americans or Brits/Europeans. The parks, and hotels in the area, will remain busy.

Sure, an average American family of 4 spending 6 days at Disney will now have to cough up $360 for Genie+ for the whole of their stay. But that family are probably spending more than that on just one cellphone contract. They'll spend more than that on takeaway coffees over a few months. They were willing to spend over $500 on tickets to the Boo Bash After Hours event this September just to spend 3 or 4 extra hours in Magic Kingdom one night. Or they were going to spend $400 to let their two kids build their own lightsabers that they'll play with for a week and then will forget about.

It might put a few people off, some of whom will still visit Orlando but go to Universal or the other attractions instead. But equally there'll be a lot of new people coming to the parks.
I agree, the American middle classes (i.e. Disney's target market) are incredibly time poor but relatively disposable income rich and my numerous conversations with my American colleagues on a daily basis back this up.

They wont even blink at 360 bucks for Genie+ and to be honest they could double it and they would barely blink.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 21, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SleepingBeauty View Post
You’ve probably already been but may I suggest Monument Valley in Arizona? Absolutely 100% pure and iconic America.

Nope! Not yet. I am very well aware of it from my favourite programme (aerial America), but have not yet been.

We are amateurs compared with many on this forum, when it comes to travel… but intend upping things dramatically now that the boys are rapidly growing up.
The aim is at least 40 States.. I am currently at just 21.
We spent too much time in Florida during the earlier days!

2005 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2015
2017 Panhandle purgatoryhttps://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1193744
2018 Californiahttps://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1072473
2019 Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1137302
future...Arizona/Cali/Nevada 2021
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...4#post14647964
Toronto & Florida 2022. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1197381
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
meva
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Nope! Not yet. I am very well aware of it from my favourite programme (aerial America), but have not yet been.

We are amateurs compared with many on this forum, when it comes to travel… but intend upping things dramatically now that the boys are rapidly growing up.
The aim is at least 40 States.. I am currently at just 21.
We spent too much time in Florida during the earlier days!
Don't forget Australia and New Zealand (if you haven't already been). Both totally awesome places to visit (although you need at least a month in each really)
meva is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List