Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Aug 21, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

We have checked into a Disney resort and gone straight to park, just dropped bags, turned around and gone. I have never done this at Universal though, I think it must have earlier closing times the time of year I have been. We have arrived and headed straight out to CityWalk
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Portofino is so beautiful. I would suggest once you are settled, go to Citywalk for a mooch round and something to eat - unless you want to eat in Portofino Bay itself. There are several restaurants there. Bice is mega pricey but we had a dreadful experience there. Mamma Della’s is supposed to be nice and there are singers who come to your table. The Trattoria is more informal, and Sal’s does nice pizza to eat at tables outside. We had lunch at Sal’s, and just sitting watching the gondolas on the lagoon was so relaxing!

There will be live music from the balcony in the evening - don’t miss that.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We have checked into a Disney resort and gone straight to park, just dropped bags, turned around and gone. I have never done this at Universal though, I think it must have earlier closing times the time of year I have been. We have arrived and headed straight out to CityWalk
There’s usually at least one of the parks open a bit later.
We usually check into our room at the Royal Pacific, two minute freshen up( shorts on!) and straight to whichever park is open, as long as we have our AP. You can now renew your AP in the hotel lobby which is quicker than guest services at the parks.

You cannot beat the feeling of standing in a Florida theme park less than 12 hours after taking off from Newcastle!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JJ Disney
Trying for More Ears

Thank you Gill, that's so helpful... Did you have to book in advance or can you just turn up to any restaurant you like the look of?

Hi Nanna Frozen, I think we will do the same nip in and then go for something nice to eat... I am so excited
JJ Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 21, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We made a reservation when we checked in.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
You could see how you feel when you get there.

We love Sals Pizza at Portofino you order at the counter but it’s proper pizza and brought to your table. You can just go there without planning.

You could have done pool time and finish off with a glass of wine at the thirsty fish sitting overlooking the harbour. ❤️

Or drop bags and head into Universal for some rides or Citywalk for food. My favourites would be Breadbox if you just want quickies and delicious or Cowfish if you want a sit down.

Have you had a look at some trip reports and dining reports? They might give you a good idea of what’s available.

Edited at 09:24 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyfloss
Imagineer

I would play it by ear. Universal, in my opinion, doesn’t need to be planned.
As you are staying at Portofino I would certainly allow some time to explore the resort.
Make sure your ticket allows you to park hop - good use of Hogworts Express. Using this and front of line pass allows you to flit between the parks according to crowds and your whims.
We’ve had mid and late afternoon arrivals where we have gone to the parks, swam or shopped depending on how we feel. Evening arrivals, especially with my grandson in tow, usually mean unpack, room service, which I’ve found to be excellent at the universal hotels, shower/bath and a good sleep before hitting the parks next morning.
With the FOL you will have plenty of time for the rides, it is possible it may not be in use on the new rides so keep an eye on wait times if you want to ride or just wait it out at the end of the day.

I’m not a planner and love Universal as it allows some spontaneity or ‘wandering’ as my family call it.
Enjoy.
Tillyfloss is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
JJ Disney
Trying for More Ears

This all sounds great! I am excited to explore How will i know if my tickets allow park hopping, as far as I am aware my TA booked the tickets when she booked the universal resort... I guess i need to ask her to make sure.
JJ Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JJ Disney View Post
This all sounds great! I am excited to explore How will i know if my tickets allow park hopping, as far as I am aware my TA booked the tickets when she booked the universal resort... I guess i need to ask her to make sure.
She's booked the UK Explorer tickets, which are park-to-park.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 21, 05:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
Personally I would book a cheap hotel for arrival night to make the most of my stay at a premium hotel
Then get up early to check in at 7am to get best use of express passes
This is what we’ve done for December. £47 for a cheap hotel then up at the crack of dawn and head to Royal Pacific 😬

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List