Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 20 Aug 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by nth09 View Post
Genie specifically (although we’re actually really talking about Genie+ here) no. But it’s the straw that’s broken the Camel’s back.

Look at what’s gone in the last couple of years.

Free parking at resort - Gone
Free DME - Gone
Free Magic Bands - Gone
Free DDP - Gone
Proper EMH - Gone
Free Fastpass - Gone

The product isn’t even close to the same yet the prices continue to inflate. So based on that - I’m out.
This is exactly it. And the prices continue to rise but your money doesn't go anywhere near as far. It's sickening.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Walt charged admission and charged for rides. It's really no different. Said it before, but he was just FAR better at hiding his financial intentions than Chapek is.
Nice to see you know your Disney history Loldis

Walt charged $1 entrance - which would be around $10 now and around 25c per ride (about $2.55).

Even if you rode the 35 rides available then, which was impossible due to the time it would take, in today's money that would be about $88 now... about £65.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by khonsu View Post

Walt charged $1 entrance - which would be around $10 now and around 25c per ride (about $2.55).

Even if you rode the 35 rides available then, which was impossible due to the time it would take, in today's money that would be about $88 now... about £65.
And we pay $30 per day for entry on UK tickets. $15 for Genie+ which covers almost all the attractions. Unknown amount for the e-tickets but all rumours are similar to DLP prices so say $30 for two.

$75

Edited at 04:55 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
KBRB
slightly serious Dibber

Stop me? define stop.

Will i pay for my Moderate? NO will i still book my Table service? NO. If they insist on making me pay more i will save it else where.

Prime savings to be had moving off site.
KBRB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWMAD
slightly serious Dibber

We bought into DVC in 2017 and haven't used it yet due to illness and Covid, so obviously it won't be stopping us from going.

I guess, as a family we are different to the majority on here as we love Disney World for, being Disney World, we cannot get the same feeling from any hotel we have stayed in around the world than the feeling we get when we walk into our Disney World Hotel, the atmosphere, the friendly welcome, the smells etc. The rides are a big part of our holiday, but, as long as we are at our Disney World resort hotel that's fine by us.

I've spent around £700 to do ONE day at Universal and IOA with Express Passes, taxi fares and food etc. because my daughter was so desperate to go there being an Harry Potter fan and I've got to be honest it is the most annoyed I have ever been at spending such a ridiculous amount of money for one day at a theme park ever, so this definitely will not put me off. Just remember Universal had the clever idea of putting Harry Potter in both parks (2 entrance fees) and inventing Express Passes, it is always all about money with theme parks, they don't spend millions on new rides just to make people happy.
WDWMAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by khonsu View Post

When Magic Kingdom first opened in 1971, which was actually after Walt died but still, they charged $3.50 for general admission and then $4.50 for a book of 7 ride tickets. In those days it was expected that you'd usually only go on 7 rides in an average day - roughly one per hour, I guess - hence why the book only had 7 tickets. And it only contained 2 E-tickets.

That makes the total of $8 in 1971. That's about $55 in today's money if adjusting for inflation.

There were 19 attractions back when MK first opened. Let's round that up to 21 to make the maths easier. To ride all the rides back then it would cost $17 back in 1971. Or just over $115 in today's money only taking into account inflation. Not that anyone actually went on all rides. Spending $17 per adult to go on all the rides was unheard of!

Of course, that was purely the price to get into the park and go on the rides. There was no fastpass back then so everyone had to queue up for ages in the standby line. You didn't get the option to pay to skip that line.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by nth09 View Post
Genie specifically (although we’re actually really talking about Genie+ here) no. But it’s the straw that’s broken the Camel’s back.

Look at what’s gone in the last couple of years.

Free parking at resort - Gone
Free DME - Gone
Free Magic Bands - Gone
Free DDP - Gone
Proper EMH - Gone
Free Fastpass - Gone

The product isn’t even close to the same yet the prices continue to inflate. So based on that - I’m out.
The original post is asking whether you'd stop visiting the WDW parks, not whether you'd stop staying onsite. Most of the things you listed above are benefits you used to get if staying onsite.

So, yes, staying onsite is less attractive now.

But what about visiting the WDW parks? Would you stop doing that?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Slinky Dog
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by tracey1302 View Post
This is exactly it for us. I'm wanting to plan for 2023, but I'm even struggling to find joy in that at the moment, I'm so annoyed with EVERYTHING Disney have done of late.

The only way we could possibly make this work is if they offered Genie+ free for UK guests in with an on site package, but even that wouldn't account for the big rides we wanted to go on, like FOP and so on.

But the thing for us is free dining. If they don't offer that, we're out. So, we're probably out of on site.
We’re exact same. The dining plan is a big one for us. If it’s not offered we’re offsite.

Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post
Yes, same for us. We are thinking of booking a few days at a Universal Studios deluxe hotel followed by a week or so at a villa, enjoying everything else Orlando has to offer. Maybe a few days at the Disney parks ... with a packed lunch.

The way they are changing everything, it makes us feel like spending as little money there as possible. Disney is no longer special.
This is what we’re planning. 3 days Universal then Disney. But if there are no offers for UK guests then we will be just spending a few days at Disney for our Disney fix, then spending the rest of our days at Orlando’s other attractions.
Slinky Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

No, it won’t stop me- we will still go in 2022 if we can travel to the US AND we will pay to be certain to get on the rides we want.
HOWEVER, we will cancel our onsite stay at POFQ and go to a villa instead to pay for the Genie+ / LL ( we are a family of 6).
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 21, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
adamtoonarmy
Imagineer

No - but my budget will remain the same.

If I do buy Genie plus I then it will come out of our dining budget. I will swap TS for cheaper options instead. Of course I will miss those dining experiences but Im not giving them any more money.

On a smaller scale, I stopped buying drinks in the parks a while ago and take a refillable water bottle instead. They just got too expensive.

At some point the experience my budget gets me may be diluted to the point where I dont want to go anymore but Im not there yet.

DDP Vs OOP Live! June 2018
adamtoonarmy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List