Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, FastPass+ Questions and Info.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22 Aug 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
YorkshireRose
Gone all Goofy
 
Join Date: Mar 21
Location: Yorkshire
Genie+ - do we still need park reservations?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know if we'll still need to reserve a park when Genie+ is up and running?

I'm trying to look at the positives with Genie and if reserving a park when capacity is back up to 100% (at Christmas) and using Genie to get on the rides we want is what we have to do, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about the extra cost, it means we spend less on other things and it feels some of the magic has gone, but the thought of not going, it's certainly heart ruling head!
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
loldis
Imagineer
 
loldis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Location: Sussex
Yes. Reservations are going nowhere.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
YorkshireRose
Thread Starter
Gone all Goofy
 
Join Date: Mar 21
Location: Yorkshire
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
Yes. Reservations are going nowhere.
So in theory, if you book the least busy park on a particular day (based on previous crowd level data), you just might have a chance of riding the things you want. The 'headline' rides are always going to be busy, but across a 14 day period, if you are flexible on which 'order' you do the parks, you surely must have a chance of doing the headliners?

I get that Disney's target market are US holiday makers who spend 4-5 days max in the parks, so we Brits might have to re-think our approach, but to take full advantage of booking the least busy park, it won't work if you have to reserve a park months in advance to guarantee entry? Think I've talked myself out of being positive about Genie!
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
loldis
Imagineer
 
loldis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Location: Sussex
The old crowd data isn't going to be too accurate unfortunately, as crowd patterns were skewed by Extra Magic Hours. And a lot of crowd calendars were default set to recommend avoiding a park on EMH day and going the day after. With EMH being replaced by early entry, there won't be as defined a pattern for which park on what day.

But you don't have to reserve months in advance, unless you're trying to go to MK on Christmas Day for example. When I looked this morning, every park was available to book today. Crowds are very low at the moment as a lot of people cancelled due to Florida's Covid rates but still. I've rarely seen it book up more than about a week out since they increased the capacity a few months ago.

PS - Brit that only does 4-5 park days here

Edited at 07:18 PM.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
dan223
Very Serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Sep 11
Yep the genie doesnít make any difference to the park reservations, they are currently required until 2023, quite likely to be extended, but as capacity seems to be normal now you donít have to worry as much unless your visiting on a major holiday. Obviously if capacity gets limited again then thatís a different situation. Personally I hope Disney will just require reservations for certain peak months and/or peak holidays. I know a lot of people say it helps Disney manage the parks but as things return to a more normal they should already have decent data on how many people they are expecting.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
YorkshireRose
Thread Starter
Gone all Goofy
 
Join Date: Mar 21
Location: Yorkshire
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
The old crowd data isn't going to be too accurate unfortunately, as crowd patterns were skewed by Extra Magic Hours. And a lot of crowd calendars were default set to recommend avoiding a park on EMH day and going the day after. With EMH being replaced by early entry, there won't be as defined a pattern for which park on what day.

But you don't have to reserve months in advance, unless you're trying to go to MK on Christmas Day for example. When I looked this morning, every park was available to book today. Crowds are very low at the moment as a lot of people cancelled due to Florida's Covid rates but still. I've rarely seen it book up more than about a week out since they increased the capacity a few months ago.

PS - Brit that only does 4-5 park days here
No I wouldn't want to do MK on Christmas Day - well I hope you're right about not having to reserve parks right up until a week or so beforehand, though I'm not sure I'm brave enough to take the risk of not reserving until we leave the UK! THAT is a planners worst nightmare! Oh lord I need to lay down in a darkened room after even considering that!

Last time we went at Christmas and New Year, booking fastpasses at the 30 day point gave me reassurance and actually worked well for us. There's so many unknown's this time around, which adds to the stress. It's meant to be a holiday...
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
loldis
Imagineer
 
loldis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Location: Sussex
Yeah, I already have my December 2022 reservations made. I like planning.

Over peak periods like Christmas and New Year, I wouldn't leave it until a week out. But most of the year, it should be perfectly fine to do so.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
YorkshireRose
Thread Starter
Gone all Goofy
 
Join Date: Mar 21
Location: Yorkshire
Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Yep the genie doesnít make any difference to the park reservations, they are currently required until 2023, quite likely to be extended, but as capacity seems to be normal now you donít have to worry as much unless your visiting on a major holiday. Obviously if capacity gets limited again then thatís a different situation. Personally I hope Disney will just require reservations for certain peak months and/or peak holidays. I know a lot of people say it helps Disney manage the parks but as things return to a more normal they should already have decent data on how many people they are expecting.
My fear is that when restriction are finally lifted, my guess is November at the very earliest, there'll then be a massive surge to reserve parks and once you're at that point all you can do is hope...
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
#9
loldis
Imagineer
 
loldis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 17
Location: Sussex
Originally Posted by YorkshireRose View Post
My fear is that when restriction are finally lifted, my guess is November at the very earliest, there'll then be a massive surge to reserve parks and once you're at that point all you can do is hope...
The countries affected by the proclamations make up single digit percentages of visitors to Disney World, maybe 3-4% at the most. Those being lifted will have no significant impact to the crowds which have always been about 90% domestic guests.

Edited at 07:39 PM.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
#10
YorkshireRose
Thread Starter
Gone all Goofy
 
Join Date: Mar 21
Location: Yorkshire
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
The countries affected by the proclamations make up single digit percentages of visitors to Disney World, maybe 3-4% at the most. Those being lifted will have no significant impact to the crowds which have always been about 90% domestic guests.
I hear what you're saying, just means I need to give my head a wobble and pay the balance on theme tickets so that I can reserve the parks. Deep down, covid or not, I know its going to be busy at Christmas
YorkshireRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in MagicBand+
On 30th September 3:21pm
As part of the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort, Disney will be debuting... Read More »
Posted in Hey Disney
On 28th September 7:33pm
Today, Amazon and Disney announced ‘Hey, Disney!’, an entirely new kind of voice assistant that... Read More »
Posted in Florida
On 4th September 7:52am
Walt Disney Travel Company is excited to announce the launch of its brand-new, star-studded podcast... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X