Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Sep 21, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

Sat Nav

We are hiring our car in a fly drive from Miami and will need a sat nav. Does anyone have any recommendations where I can get one from the cheapest? Or is it better to buy one? Any recommendations for that?

Thanking you
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I always found the rental ones on ebay the cheapest and easiest.

If you have one in this country you can download the maps on it and upload Florida maps but it works out about the same cost as hiring.

Last time we went though the rental car came with one in it. So we had two nattering away and contradicting each other
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Have you considered using your phone with one of the many offline navigation apps?
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We don't use satnav much over there unless we're having one of our "off the beaten track" days out - maybe once or twice every holiday.

For those occasions Joan has "Here we go" app on her mobile. There's a number of others such as Waze, Navmii, Google and more. It's a free app.

If you download the Florida maps over here then you don't use data on your phone when using it over there.

Mick
Old 5 Sep 21, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Do these apps work just as well as a SatNav?
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by MadHatter1 View Post
Do these apps work just as well as a SatNav?
They speak but obviously the screen is much smaller than a traditional satnav. Never failed us on maybe 20 expeditions over the years. Just need to get used to "in half a mile enter the traffic circle"

For those far more techy qualified than this 75 year old if you have an Apple phone your car may have Apple system that plays the satnav through the camera screen.

Downside of course is that using them off line you don't get live traffic updates.

Mick
Old 5 Sep 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS All Smiles

Do you need a satnav for the general holiday use or just to get clear of MIA on your way to where you're staying?

The 27 is only a couple of miles from the hire car garage at MIA and it's toll free dual carriageway all the way to the WDW area.

Mick
Old 5 Sep 21, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I purchased a USA Garmin on EBay with lifetime map upgrades for £35. It has never let me down and is identical in operation to the one that I use in the U.K.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Manc_Chris
slightly serious Dibber

I use Google maps on my phone when I need a SatNav - it was a lifesaver in France a couple of years ago when we hired a gite in the middle of nowhere!

You can download an offline map before you go, but as Mick says you don't get up-to-the-minute traffic news.
Jul '95: Kissimmee/Keys Oct '96/Oct '97/Aug '05/Oct '07: Kissimmee. May '98: Kissimmee Oct '01: RotondaOct 2012:Kissimmee/Anna Maria IslandSep '14: Davenport/RotondaOct '16: Cape Coral/Spring Hill Sep '17: Kissimmee/Rotonda Oct ‘18: Oregon/California Sep ‘19: Highlands Reserve/Bradenton Feb '22: Sunridge Woods Oct '23: New England Road Trip
Manc_Chris is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
All-smiles
Excited about Disney

Thanks guys! I never thought of using our phone! We are on sim only pay as you go so I might look into how much the data would cost but it would still be an option if offline.

Hubby is the main driver so I will ask him what he prefers.. we use waze on a daily basis but had no idea about it working in the US.
All-smiles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List