Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Sep 21, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
jolou
Getting Excited

BA baggage charges help please

Hi all. If i book economy basic any idea how much to pay to add checked baggage and choose seat later? Is there any difference other than that between Economy Basic and Economy Standard? The BA site is driving me to the brink of madness this morningÖ..!
jolou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
VIP Dibber

I think I saw £65 for baggage -you don't get free seat booking with BA unless you are quite high up in executive card. They range from about 30-40 per person per leg. As I said not sure on exact costs.
Feb 2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge, April 2003 Villa - Indian Ridge, June 2003 All stars music, Nov 2003 Old Key West Resort, Dec 2003 Coronado Springs & Polynesian, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 Old Key West Resort, Dec 2012 Port Orleans FQ & BLT
Sep 2016 All stars sports, Sep 2019 Old Key West Resort, March 2020, Celebration. August 2020 CSR cancelled, 2021 Birthday trip
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

On the MCO route, it's currently £50 for your first bag. The baggage allowance page on BA has a fee checker for other routes. If everyone wants a bag, it's usually much the same price to book a standard ticket instead.

Seat prices vary a lot depending where in the cabin you want. Unfortunately there's no checker prior to purchase although you might be able to see it in a dummy booking. Someone else mentioned £60 to book a seat recently.

Basic also boards the plane last which can be a significant disadvantage if the flight is busy and you're trying to find space for your carry on.

Edited at 11:17 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
jolou
Getting Excited

Great thankyou. I know itís only an educated guess but would those prices be each way?
jolou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Yes, they are each way.
Old 9 Sep 21, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jolou
Getting Excited

Thatís really useful thankyou. Definitely better to go standard from the off then 🙂
Old 9 Sep 21, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

If you are a larger family sharing bags, it can save you a bit as you're only booking the bags you need. But if you're checking one bag per person anyway, definitely no reason to choose basic over standard since there's no cost benefit.
Old 12 Sep 21, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Dogjen
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

We recently booked Edinburgh to Heathrow then on to Miami. Seat selection starts from £6 for the regional flights and starts from £29 for the Miami flights. The £29 is for the middle four seats near the back, things get more expensive the further forward you go and also for the three or two window seats. We would be £70 pp to book seats, at the moment unsure whether to book or wait till 24 hours before the flight. I suppose I could keep an eye on the seat map and see if it's booking up. Also wondering if the free seat selection which opens 24 hours before flight would apply from our Edinburgh flight which may give us a jump on the people only flying from Heathrow.
Dogjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dogjen View Post
We recently booked Edinburgh to Heathrow then on to Miami. Seat selection starts from £6 for the regional flights and starts from £29 for the Miami flights. The £29 is for the middle four seats near the back, things get more expensive the further forward you go and also for the three or two window seats. We would be £70 pp to book seats, at the moment unsure whether to book or wait till 24 hours before the flight. I suppose I could keep an eye on the seat map and see if it's booking up. Also wondering if the free seat selection which opens 24 hours before flight would apply from our Edinburgh flight which may give us a jump on the people only flying from Heathrow.
Yes, seat selection opens on your first flight for connections. So if EDI>LHR>MIA is on a single ticket, check in and seat selection for both flights will open at 24 hours from the EDI flight.