Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Sep 21, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

trip without hiring a car?

Usually I would hire but with the onsite parking charges and seemingly more than expensive insurance and car hire (I *have* had an accident once in US, some years ago not Disney related and will never skimp on insurance!)

Has anyone ever had an "uber only" disney? The expectation would be "coach transfer/return included after a direct flight" then after that around 9 days in Disney (so a disney heavy trip), 1 day out a seaworld,1 day discovery cove, 1 day at universal (need that harry potter fix), grocery shopping trip, last couple of days to be determined. It would be a cookie cutter package stopping onsite all the way (no villa, a new one for us), with all the uncertainty I am looking at the safest possible option for us.

I do plan on doing a proper uber calculator and have roughly allocated $60 "per day trip" return. Would this be accurate? If so then our usual stay at a moderate hotel would pay for my uber in parking charges alone.

Edited at 07:37 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We have been 7 times and never had a car, had no problems with getting around and have been to every park, including Busch. We mainly used free shuttles and Lynx buses, never took us long to get where we wanted.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't drive, absolutely no issue at all on-site since the bulk of your transport will be around Disney which is free. Also you can order groceries to be delivered to your resort, so don't even need Uber for that unless you want to head out.

Even off-site, if you stay in the LBV area, Uber back and forth (if the free shuttles that many hotels offer aren't at convenient times) is easy and cheap when compared to hire + parking costs.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

the groceries delivered was something I had never considered. That is definitely something I will look into. beats wandering around walmart.

in the old days of free parking everywhere onsite it was good to use your car.

Edited at 03:45 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I can drive but I found it way more stressful than beneficial tbh. Gave it up about 10 years ago.

But I think the most common argument I hear for a car is how long you have to wait for the buses. With the times posted in MDE in recent years, I never had to wait more than a couple minutes for one because I knew what time they'd arrive.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We don't drive and had no problems with our trips. This was pre-uber (last time was 2014). We were at POR first time and SSR second time.

First trip, we did 3 visits to Universal and one to Seaworld, using taxis and Mears shared shuttles.

Second trip, we spent 2 nights at Portofino Bay - taxis each way. Also got a Mears shared shuttle to Seaworld.

Uber would be cheaper than taxis and probably cheaper than the shared shuttle.

As 2 adults with free dining we didn't feel the need for a grocery shop. However, next time we will be booking an airport transfer which includes a 30 minute grocery shop on the way to the resort. We just plan to get some snacks and drinks for the room.

We haven't eaten offsite (except at Universal/Seaworld) and haven't yet done any offsite shopping. Might do this next time though.

Mostly the buses were fine - just one horror story after MVMCP when we left the park at 10pm, stood in the freezing cold for over an hour and got back to SSR after midnight - but apparently there were 3 separate road accidents in the area that night, so that's probably why. Mostly we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LOUISEACAT
Proud to wear my Ears

Never had a car - stayed onsite at WDW and USF. Used Lyft for visits to SW, DC even Boggy Creek and sometimes to get around Disney ie one hotel to another. No problem at all. Sometimes drivers not sure where they are going so keep an eye on where you are on the app before they take a wrong turn!
LOUISEACAT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List