Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, FastPass+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Sep 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Very Serious Dibber

I never stay onsite anyway, so I'd argue that most of the things Disney have taken away are for those that stay onsite.

Having said that I last went to WDW in 2016, DL in 18. Quite a lot has change in WDW between 2016 and now, whereas my trip prior (that was in 2012) next to nothing had changed.

Hopefully 2022 is doable in which case Disney will be on the list for sure, and that I'm going with some newbies that have never been before, but in the future will really depend if much has changed, I could quite happily do Universal/Seaworld/Bush and skip Disney, or just do one/two days at Disney at most.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Rayer72
Gone all Goofy

Not sure, this new guy in charge has left a bitter taste in my mouth... seems all the news that is coming out of WDW now just makes me shake my head. Hot oil is being tipped onto the disney magic, and doesnt seem to be stopping.
The only solution I will probably come too, is instead of going every year, maybe go once every 2 years... that way I can mentally offset the additional costs with what I save doing it this way.
Rayer72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
a Friend of the DIBB

We were in Florida in December 2019 and booked our next trip (in a villa offsite) in January 2020 for December 2021, which we then moved to December 2022 in January this year. Age and lack of stamina means we don’t do full days in a park but last time we made 3 trips to Magic Kingdom, 2 to Epcot and one each to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. We still hope to get to Orlando as planned but as far as WDW is concerned our view is this:-

Booking park reservations ahead of time so we’re committed to specific days doesn’t appeal (we prefer to decide on the day whether we want to visit a park, depending not least on the weather - we don’t find any fun doing a park in the pouring rain)

No Fastpass, just a system that requires additional payment and a smartphone and properly-working WiFi infrastructure to use (and for me to be glued to the phone to book things one at a time). And an enhanced charge to ‘lightning lane’ a certain number of top tier rides, actual cost to be dependent on time of year and demand

No ‘ambience’ (for want of a better word) particularly in MK due to the lack of street entertainers etc etc and no indication of when if ever this element will return

No national performers in Epcot and no indication of when if ever they will return

Epcot itself still in a pretty sorry state (although hopefully that at least will improve for Epcot’s 40th starting 1 October 2022)

Lack of MDE, overnight parking charges at the resorts and lack of free magic bands don’t directly affect us as we’re offsite but are indicative of the current tendency for Disney to cut back on the things that make Disney… well, Disney.

We haven’t been to Universal or Busch Gardens since 1997 or Seaworld since 2001 so they will be probably be on our list, and central Florida is more than WDW or indeed any theme park. We normally buy those ‘14 days for the price of 7’ tickets but we now plan to see what the situation is when we get there and if we decide we want to visit WDW we’ll see what may be available on that day and buy a one-day ticket locally (for probably MK or Epcot) - and if there’s nothing then so be it. I doubt Disney will miss our money on an individual basis but with park entry, TS meals and souvenirs it would be a fair amount that they won’t be getting from us this time around…
sakiki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sakiki View Post
...Booking park reservations ahead of time so we’re committed to specific days doesn’t appeal (we prefer to decide on the day whether we want to visit a park, depending not least on the weather - we don’t find any fun doing a park in the pouring rain)

No Fastpass, just a system that requires additional payment and a smartphone and properly-working WiFi infrastructure to use (and for me to be glued to the phone to book things one at a time). And an enhanced charge to ‘lightning lane’ a certain number of top tier rides, actual cost to be dependent on time of year and demand...
Yep! That inflexibility, pressure, competition, phone-reliance... none of it says, 'relaxed and fun vacation'. Disney has always been in the details, not just the rush from one headlining attraction to the next. (The big attractions aren't suitable/attractive to all Guests anyway!)

What always set Disney apart from other theme parks (and even other tourist attractions) was the the general park atmosphere (cleanliness, landscaping, lights, music, live entertainment); the reliable quality of service and products; the valuing of Guests in ways which looked after them without charging extra at every turn (and/or making the practical aspects of their stay more difficult); not pitting Guests against each other to such an extent ...and the overall ease and joy in (almost) every moment.

I don't know what the answer is for Disney, but I do think they're neglecting aspects of the World that were integral in building it up in the first place.

...the current tendency for Disney to cut back on the things that make Disney… well, Disney...
Exactly!
Joey: Thank you.

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside - Would be nice to add to the list!
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Whilst I'm not saying we won't go, I'm am saying that I will be thinking twice about forking out £900 for 2 14 day tickets! Likely scenario would be 1 or 2 days & the 2 parks that I perceive as least "value" will miss out. But TBH I don't really think Disney care that we'll be spending our money else where IYKWIM
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '21
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jenksy74
Excited about Disney

Looking forward to next year more (Apr/May🤞&#129310 NOT doing Disney than I ever did doing Disney! I am a huge Disney fan, don’t get me wrong but I’m a single dad with a 10 and 12 year old who want to do Universal and swim with dolphins…..there’s something very satisfying about knowing it’s cheaper to get u/l Universal AND a DC Ultimate ticket with swim cheaper than just Disney itself, without parking costs, Genie+ etc.

Having never done DC, Seaworld, Busch or Aquatica, or spent any kind of time on International drive (where we are staying), I’m so glad I’m getting upmost value for money and not eating overpriced food, paying for overpriced souvenirs, parking and on and on.

I am going to do HS on May 4th for Star Wars and spend a day at Disney Springs but that is it. I will probably do airboat ride too as I feel all previous times have just been Disney overload which is fine when kids are young but I have missed out on so much and single parents are priced out the market IMO.

T
Jenksy74 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Getting Excited

I had already made the decision pre covid that i was done with Disney after my 2019 trip.
The main reason for me was the Smoking ban which proved to be a absolute faff everytime i wanted a ciggy i had to walk to the front of whatever park i was in.

Along with all the other changes its basically sealed the deal for me and my money will be better spent elsewhere.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by Jenksy74 View Post
Looking forward to next year more (Apr/May🤞&#129310 NOT doing Disney than I ever did doing Disney! I am a huge Disney fan, don’t get me wrong but I’m a single dad with a 10 and 12 year old who want to do Universal and swim with dolphins…..there’s something very satisfying about knowing it’s cheaper to get u/l Universal AND a DC Ultimate ticket with swim cheaper than just Disney itself, without parking costs, Genie+ etc.

Having never done DC, Seaworld, Busch or Aquatica, or spent any kind of time on International drive (where we are staying), I’m so glad I’m getting upmost value for money and not eating overpriced food, paying for overpriced souvenirs, parking and on and on.

I am going to do HS on May 4th for Star Wars and spend a day at Disney Springs but that is it. I will probably do airboat ride too as I feel all previous times have just been Disney overload which is fine when kids are young but I have missed out on so much and single parents are priced out the market IMO.

T
Thoroughly recommend an airboat excursion - invariably fascinating and your children will I suspect enjoy seeing alligators etc in their natural habitat!

I assume you’ll have a car and would also recommend A day over at Kennedy Space Centre…
sakiki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Jenksy74
Excited about Disney

Thoroughly recommend an airboat excursion - invariably fascinating and your children will I suspect enjoy seeing alligators etc in their natural habitat!

I assume you’ll have a car and would also recommend A day over at Kennedy Space Centre…
Yeah, they will love the gators etc. We went to Kennedy when they were toddlers so will see if they want to... For me it's a one visit only place.

No we not having a car this time as too expensive. Because we are staying middle of Idrive and not doing Disney I don't feel it necessary as we can use the Lynx bus system, I trolley, Uber etc. Can do these things for Outlets etc.

Not getting car also saves on parking at the parks.

Is it too early to start packing hahaha.

T
Jenksy74 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sakiki
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by Jenksy74 View Post
<snip>

Is it too early to start packing hahaha.

T
Not according to my wife - and we’re not due back in Florida until December 2022!